or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!! - Page 31

post #451 of 559
jamato is there enough space to substitute the big cap with a 10000uf blackgate FK in there?

siang
post #452 of 559
never mind, i found the dimensions of the supermacro case and the blackgates will not fit
post #453 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbulack View Post
I know what you mean, John, in the first sentence. Can you be more descriptive of what amazes you in the bass?
For such a small amp, or most any amp I have heard the bass is very fast and articulate. The bass line is followed, has great punch and controlled. As strong as the bass is it isn't over emphasized at the expensive of the music or natural rythm.

I have been using one set of alkalines now for over 200 hours using headphones that draw more current than IEM's like the HD650's and RP-21's and while they are not current hungry phones, the Reference does seem to be living up to its 200 hour time frame though these are alkalines and not rechargables. It does appear that whatever batteries are used a long run time should be expected. With the projected use of the 1/4 plug and those wanting to use this rather than the 1/8, the amp should have a nice rapport with the listener.
post #454 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
With the projected use of the 1/4 plug and those wanting to use this rather than the 1/8, the amp should have a nice rapport with the listener.
Dr. Xin seems to have clarified on his forum that he is sticking with the 1/8" plug (unless you know something that we don't?) But this amp does sound like an absolute winner.
post #455 of 559
Xin posted this on the 17th.

"The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of 1/4" output. A 1/4" jack allows ALL headphones to be easily used with Reference. For headphones that have a 1/8" plug, it is not much a hassle to use an adapter - it is a small plug goes into a large hole. The other way, a big 1/4" plug is a big hassle to use a converter - it is a large plug converted into a small hole.

Luckily, I have found ideal input (1/8") and output (1/4") jacks that fit the tiny case and face plate. So, I'll use 1/4" output as the default/standard configuration (no extra fee) with 1/8" output as a free option."

If there is something later posted than this then I stand corrected but I don't see it as in issue either way as you can order what you want, 1/8 or 1/4.
post #456 of 559
Yes this is also the latest I have in an email from him. Cant wait for it. Hope to get it befor july 23th as I will be on 3 weeks holliday directly followed by 2-3 weeks of business travels. If not I wil just have do "make do" with my LE.
post #457 of 559
Thread Starter 
My reference gets 200 hours with 4 AAA 1000 mAh Eveready rechargeables. Granted I llisten at low volume and the pot is at about 8:00 o'clock.
post #458 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
My reference gets 200 hours with 4 AAA 1000 mAh Eveready rechargeables. Granted I llisten at low volume and the pot is at about 8:00 o'clock.
I am not sure when the alkalines will run out I just leave the unit playing day and night. I run the volume for the HD650's around 3 oclock but my Monica II puts out less than normal voltage so I have to compensate for the less than normal 2 volts out. The Reference Micro will also get more life from batteries as it uses less current than the other Reference models.
post #459 of 559
Reference Micro ?!
post #460 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killercrush View Post
Reference Micro ?!
X2....?
post #461 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
Xin posted this on the 17th.

"The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of 1/4" output. A 1/4" jack allows ALL headphones to be easily used with Reference. For headphones that have a 1/8" plug, it is not much a hassle to use an adapter - it is a small plug goes into a large hole. The other way, a big 1/4" plug is a big hassle to use a converter - it is a large plug converted into a small hole.

Luckily, I have found ideal input (1/8") and output (1/4") jacks that fit the tiny case and face plate. So, I'll use 1/4" output as the default/standard configuration (no extra fee) with 1/8" output as a free option."

If there is something later posted than this then I stand corrected but I don't see it as in issue either way as you can order what you want, 1/8 or 1/4.
It would be nice if the good Dr. would give the 1/4" option as well for those using the SuperMacro IV...
post #462 of 559
jamato,
Do you know if Xin will have some References in stock for the initial release? Hence no wait time on the first hand full?
post #463 of 559
I don't think there would be room. With all the options of SM IV and room taken up with opamps and or buffers where would the 1/4 jack go?
post #464 of 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
I don't think there would be room. With all the options of SM IV and room taken up with opamps and or buffers where would the 1/4 jack go?
Point is well taken. Now that I've said that, I have no idea how the good Dr. already gets as much as he does in the SM IV!
post #465 of 559

Which jack?

I appreciate all of the helpful information on this thread, and after reading through it, I have pretty much decided to change my SuperMicro IV order to the new Reference amp. I see that Dr. Xin is offering a choice of 1/4 vs 1/8" jack, and I'm not sure which would be a better choice (or if it makes a real difference). I currently do most of my listening with IEMS (ER 4P/S and UE Triple.fi), but I have just ordered the AKG K701 (my first good quality high-end cans) so I will probably be doing much of my listening at home with those. Does it make a difference in sound quality which jack I choose? ie, is there more signal degradation using a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter vs. a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter? If it's the same difference, I would lean toward the 1/8" jack, since the adapter makes the IEMs more bulky and a little harder to carry around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New Xin Reference Amp by Dr. Xin !!!