Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Miles Davis is over rated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Miles Davis is over rated - Page 2  

post #16 of 34
Oxygen is overrated. Everytime I breathe, I suck
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym View Post
Even Philip Larkin didn't like him. And Stanley Crouch grew to loathe him. And those fellas are always right...........
I'm very sorry, and I wish it were not so, but Philip Larkin was always right. Even when he was wrong, he was right. Especially about Coventry and Sidney Bechet. Unfortunately.

It's not so much that God is dead but that he's a terrible under-achiever who never even got through his O-Levels. Split infinitives, sentence fragments -- it makes the gorge rise, truly.

As for Stanley Crouch, remind me to tell you the story some time of how I became invisible.
post #18 of 34
* umm smack grmph * this popcorn needs butter.
post #19 of 34
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Sorry, missed that sign on the way in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
Oxygen is overrated. Everytime I breathe, I suck
Ok, that one I like Trane! Cheers
post #21 of 34
the ONLY time i questioned that Miles, perhaps, might have slid off the deep end for good-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4AJ2Z-lhoM

Otherwise - BRILLIANT!
post #22 of 34
Get out. Now.
post #23 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewtheking View Post
. If you don't like Miles, then you don't like jazz, and thanks for sharing...
Thank you for proving my point with this statement.

Miles Davis is not the Dragon Highlord of Jazz and all of it's styles.

I don't like Rush either, that does mean I suddenly don't like another huge chunk o' genre because your arrogant posturing made yet another failed attempt to think for me? Nice try ole' chap.

I never said Miles Davis was not proficient at his instrument, in fact I'm sure there are plenty of dudes who will back up that one, pun intended. lol

Your ignorant know it all I have the final say this is the no spin zone antics may work well with your group of stoner friends who have to agree with you or you'll hold out on them but that just does'nt fly with me Panama Red.
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
. . .this is the no spin zone. . . .
I've heard Headfi Forums called a lot of dirty things in the past, but. . . .
post #25 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunuggs View Post
Oh yeah, my post kind of skewed my original point: I LOVE MILES DAVIS.

Dr. Love, if you think Miles sucks, then what jazz to you like? Any other amazing musicians that I should know who "suck"? Coltrane or Monk perhaps?
I like some of Coltrane's work and own a few of his cd's. I will say that interstellar space is masturbation. Ooooooh look how fast I can play crap doesn't do it for me, he should go on tour with C.C Deville and play that one live sometime. lol

Impressions and Lush Life aren't bad. I have yet to hear Thelonius Monk so I can't give you my opinion on his music.

Keep in mind guys that I'm not trying to sway anyone else's opinion here, I'm stating my own opinion. I've listened to enough of Miles Davis's crap with an open mind to say it sucks, and suck it does. He's just a name some people like to bring up on talk shows and coffee houses to pretend they like jazz while they slowly get hammered and attempt to sound intelligent.
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
Miles Davis is not the Dragon Highlord of Jazz and all of it's styles.
Well he's right when it comes to this - Miles ain't the Dragon Highlord. This is-

post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Quite a thought provoking and intellectually stimulating post.

Not quite sure what your point is? Without being a little more specific, all you are doing is telling us (a) how little of his music you've probably listened to, or (b) what little you understand about the man and his contribution, not just to jazz, but to all of music.

Care to expand?
Would you like to go ahead and assume the world is flat despite flying in the face of fact? If so be my guest.

Guess what, it's ok to think Miles Davis sucks, and every point you brought up is moot. Just because some guy thought up something a few days or years ahead of 5000 other people doesn't make them influential, someone would have figured out how to split the atom either way.

Just because you either like a band or pretend to like a band does not equate to said musician being God's gift to earth and everyones overlord.
post #28 of 34
"Liking" a musician and their work has no bearing on whether or not they are influential, talented and worthy of praise.

Just because they don't meet your personal taste does not mean their contributions are insignificant nor that their music is bad. You just don't like it, which is fine of course.

You are not wrong in thinking that Miles Davis is crap, that is your opinion...however dismissing his contribution to the world of music is ignorance.
post #29 of 34
The first time I heard Miles, I thought he was terrible. By the 100th time, I was completely sucked in.

In a similar vein, the first time I heard Kenny G, I thought he was great. By the 100th time... well let's just say it never got anywhere near that.
post #30 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
The first time I heard Miles, I thought he was terrible. By the 100th time, I was completely sucked in.

In a similar vein, the first time I heard Kenny G, I thought he was great. .
I rest my case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Miles Davis is over rated