Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Electronica and jazz - HD555?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Electronica and jazz - HD555?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
So I like my Grados for metal and rock and stuff, but everybody seems to have another phone for other genres. For $150 or less, what would you recommend? I'm currently listening to electronic stuff like Daft Punk, Squarepusher, Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Amon Tobin as well as a little bit of jazz. Do you think an HD555 would work well? I could use a bit more bass than the SR60s supply, but I'm not a basshead. Bigger soundstage is good too, as is good comfort. Open is slightly preferable so I can hear my surroundings, but not a huge deal.

Thanks!
post #2 of 19
IMO an HD555 would be horrible for electronica and not much better for jazz.
post #3 of 19
i'd go ahead and try a pair of 580's. great soundstage for jazz and good bass for electronica. i love my 580's for jazz and electronica.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
IMO an HD555 would be horrible for electronica and not much better for jazz.
I have the HD 595 and I concur.
post #5 of 19
Check out the Goldring DR150.
post #6 of 19
how about beyerdynamics? id also like to see what would be good for this mix of genres so ill post this one in question form.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
IMO an HD555 would be horrible for electronica and not much better for jazz.
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShadow View Post
I have the HD 595 and I concur.
I highly doubt it would be better than the HD580 for his musical preferences.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
IMO an HD555 would be horrible for electronica and not much better for jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShadow View Post
I have the HD 595 and I concur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RasmusseN View Post
true
Wow, really? I always thought "great all-around cans" meant that it'd be better than Grado for genres like electronica and jazz. Well thanks for stopping me I guess


Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphony View Post
Check out the Goldring DR150.
What exactly is that sound signature like compared to the Grados?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinoxide View Post
how about beyerdynamics? id also like to see what would be good for this mix of genres so ill post this one in question form.
I was kind of wondering about Beyers too, but they all seem a bit out of my budget.



So putting those aside, what other suggestions? A900? AKG's?
post #9 of 19
Senn 555 has a lot of sibilence (even more than my iGrado, and Koss GT/5), and that "reflector" makes the bass sound kind of fake......
I still have mine, just to remind me not to believe all the Sennheiser hype I see around here

post #10 of 19
How about an older pair of DT990? What are you amping them with?
post #11 of 19
To further echo some of these sentiments, HD 555 is not good for jazz, which is all I can speak to. Its piano reproduction was very poor, in my experience.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioCats View Post
Senn 555 has a lot of sibilence (even more than my iGrado, and Koss GT/5), and that "reflector" makes the bass sound kind of fake......
I still have mine, just to remind me not to believe all the Sennheiser hype I see around here

heh, the HD555 is the tip of the iceberg. I do agree the bass on the HD555 is rather umm how can I saw this boring there very flat headphones decently sized soundstage. I can't talk much bad about them as they were the first headphones to open my eyes.
post #13 of 19
I originally purchased the 555's as my first good headphone. I wish I had gotten the 580's (which I now also have) because they are so much better. You only need an amp if you are using them with a portable (which you shouldn't ).
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenratiophi View Post
Wow, really? I always thought "great all-around cans" meant that it'd be better than Grado for genres like electronica and jazz. Well thanks for stopping me I guess
They're so called "all rounders" (although I wouldn't even give them that) because they're fairly flat and inoffensive.

However, they are severly lacking in speed, extension and control, rendering them completely terrible for electronica. Their timbre isn't especially good, either, which torpedoes the jazz idea as well.

Assuming that you dislike the Grados for electronica and jazz (personally I think the better Grado models can do electronica just fine, but this seems to be a contentious view, so YMMV) you might want to consider selling your Grado and buying some higher model Beyers (880/990), which should be able to handle metal/rock/electronic with aplomb. I have yet to hear jazz through a pair, so I don't know how well that would hold up, but it'd certainly be better than an HD555.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
They're so called "all rounders" (although I wouldn't even give them that) because they're fairly flat and inoffensive.

However, they are severly lacking in speed, extension and control, rendering them completely terrible for electronica. Their timbre isn't especially good, either, which torpedoes the jazz idea as well.

Assuming that you dislike the Grados for electronica and jazz (personally I think the better Grado models can do electronica just fine, but this seems to be a contentious view, so YMMV) you might want to consider selling your Grado and buying some higher model Beyers (880/990), which should be able to handle metal/rock/electronic with aplomb. I have yet to hear jazz through a pair, so I don't know how well that would hold up, but it'd certainly be better than an HD555.
I don't get why people dog the 555s. I prefer them even to 580s. more organic to me. beyers are technically better but sound fake to me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Electronica and jazz - HD555?