or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › stax srm-1 mk-2/lambda pro channel imbalance!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

stax srm-1 mk-2/lambda pro channel imbalance! - Page 3

post #31 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
I would like one Carlsberg now or a Spritz. There are elections here tomorrow I'll have a beer or 20 then...
i'll make sure i seek assistance after you've sobered up

well, so far the response seems to be that stax can supply spare cables, headband assemblies and earpads. everything BUT the drivers.

haven't ruled out DIYing just for the fun/experience of it, but finding time is the problem...

which leaves buying another earspeaker new/used the remaining option. well, it's not the ONLY option, short of leaving my SRM-1/MK-2 completely unused ='(
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cee View Post
well, so far the response seems to be that stax can supply spare cables, headband assemblies and earpads. everything BUT the drivers.
Stax have pretty much no parts from the early 80s left (and would you expect them to?), be it drivers, assemblies, cables, etc. They simply substitute current production parts in their place.
post #33 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Stax have pretty much no parts from the early 80s left (and would you expect them to?), be it drivers, assemblies, cables, etc. They simply substitute current production parts in their place.
yeah that was a given, but they don't sell the current drivers by themselves either, but just about everything else is available as a spare part
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cee View Post
i'll make sure i seek assistance after you've sobered up

well, so far the response seems to be that stax can supply spare cables, headband assemblies and earpads. everything BUT the drivers.

haven't ruled out DIYing just for the fun/experience of it, but finding time is the problem...

which leaves buying another earspeaker new/used the remaining option. well, it's not the ONLY option, short of leaving my SRM-1/MK-2 completely unused ='(
I'm not looking forward to the sobering up part...

If nobody can sell you new drivers just buy a SR-202 either new or used and transplant the drivers into the old housing and sell the arc assembly and earcups. By leaving the fiberglass in place they will retain most of their character and the new driver might fix the recessed midrange and flappy bass.
post #35 of 56
Thread Starter 
thanks to the generosity of local head-fier dvse I got a hold a of a lambda pro driver! all for a four pack of red bull (even cheaper than DIY)

dvse was originally going to give the driver to me for free because he didn't know if it would work or whether it was a lambda pro driver but after taking one look at it i was like 90% sure it was... so I offered to buy him a drink, he picked a 4 pack of red bull and that was that

anyway, it looked a little tattered and i was afraid it wouldnt work, but as soon as i hooked her all up and plugged them in... all doubts were removed. they sounded the same!

after a bit of critical listening there's a tiny bit of channel imbalance that is easily fixed with some playing with the volume put, but i'm going to let the new driver settle in and let the stators charge up but currently everything looks good, no deteriorated sound (fingers crossed)

once again, i'd like to say that dvse is extremely COOL!
post #36 of 56
Great to hear that you have (most probably) fixed the Lambda Pro!
post #37 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
Great to hear that you have (most probably) fixed the Lambda Pro!
thanks, it's been a hard few weeks without them

but oops, i might have spoken too soon

i can hear a squealing sound in the right driver, a bit like those old kettles with a whistle on them

it is ever so faint and I'm not sure what it is...
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cee View Post
thanks, it's been a hard few weeks without them

but oops, i might have spoken too soon

i can hear a squealing sound in the right driver, a bit like those old kettles with a whistle on them

it is ever so faint and I'm not sure what it is...
It could be a dust particle or a hair stuck inside the driver. Try blowing at it with you mouth but do not use compressed air, that will rip the mylar to bits.
post #39 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
It could be a dust particle or a hair stuck inside the driver. Try blowing at it with you mouth but do not use compressed air, that will rip the mylar to bits.
thanks mate, i let it charge overnight and this morning it's gone, but then i had a fit of coughing and it came back so i'm guessing something's touching something so will disassemble the thing and try to clean her out properly

edit: it went away with some creative head positioning so yeah i'm guessing there's some particle(s) in there
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cee View Post
thanks mate, i let it charge overnight and this morning it's gone, but then i had a fit of coughing and it came back so i'm guessing something's touching something so will disassemble the thing and try to clean her out properly

edit: it went away with some creative head positioning so yeah i'm guessing there's some particle(s) in there
You could remove the nylon backing and see if anything falls out. It's most likely on that side of the diaphragm if the other PVC dustcover is intact.
post #41 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
You could remove the nylon backing and see if anything falls out. It's most likely on that side of the diaphragm if the other PVC dustcover is intact.
that's interesting you say that

the fine white cloth-like screen on this replacement driver seems to be a bit saggy and is drooping in the middle and i think it might be touching the metal stator

i wasn't sure if removing it would have any adverse effects but yeah it looks like the glue around the edges would probably give way with a bit of nudging

the faulty driver i've just removed though looks pristine. such a shame it came to the end of its life
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cee View Post
that's interesting you say that

the fine white cloth-like screen on this replacement driver seems to be a bit saggy and is drooping in the middle and i think it might be touching the metal stator

i wasn't sure if removing it would have any adverse effects but yeah it looks like the glue around the edges would probably give way with a bit of nudging

the faulty driver i've just removed though looks pristine. such a shame it came to the end of its life
That could be it. It is only a dust cover for the driver so you can remove it but it would be wise to install a replacement. It isn't a good idea to use mylar or pvc film for the back dustcover because it will cause reflections inside the driver.

It's a real shame when the drivers give out. Some can be fixed but it is impossible to get them back to the factory spec because we don't know what it is.
post #43 of 56
Thread Starter 
oh gosh, i feel so stupid

but now i'm in a pickle

all this time, on the main side i'll call it the ear side

there's been 2 or 1 really long strand of very light blonde hair, you can't see it in normal light the colour is quite similar to the mylar in the driver and it is very fine hair

the only reason i saw it was because i was shining in there with a torch looking for dust and other particles and lo and behold, this long curled up strand of hair is in there, mainly running along the edge, but at the top it is curled down and exposed but still impossible to see in normal light

now my dilemma is how the heck do i get it out!?!?

edit: scratch 1/2 hairs - i've already pulled out 5 hairs by scanning the surface of the grille with my flashlight and tweezers and pulling on anything that's slightly protruding

whoever owned this driver before dvse picked it up on ebay had really fine, long and curly blonde hair. the longest strand i've pulled out is like 7 or 8cm and there's still hair in there!
post #44 of 56
0_o Good luck extracting all that from your drivers. Youve been through enough already to try and restore this pair of Stax.
post #45 of 56
Thread Starter 
if you've just joined in, first of all welcome...

next, i decided to just remove that grille and that way get access to all the hair

this is how much i pulled out...



which is ok, great i got it out (and all the hair) but next question... i inadvertently removed what i believe is a layer of mylar that was stuck onto a metallic frame attached to the grille causing me to have 2 sections



my question is, does this extra layer of thin stuff that is not being sandwiched by the stators have any effect on sound? because with it off, there is still music being played and i can hear it and it is very clear. i also ask because of this...



as you can see, although i think i've done a pretty good job all round, just at these 2 areas i've managed to rip off this delicate stuff, so my question is

this thin stuff, maybe it's mylar i dont know, but it's not the main mylar sandwiched in between the 2 stators, as that's still there, but will it have any effect on sound if it's damaged? short term or long term

reason i ask is, if it does, i still have my original damaged driver, but i reckon with a bit of creative dis-assembly i could probably retrieve the old grille + extra layer of thin stuff and re-attach it to the working driver

i will only do this if need be, so save for further muckign around as i currently have 2 bandages on my hands from stabbing myself in 2 places with a very fine screw driver while prying these layers from eachother

i consider it no great loss, i am learning alot but will probably drop the coin to buy an SR-404 later this year. just wonderinf if i can save this pair from the dumpster by this surgery

cheers for tuning in!

Dave

edit: ok i think all of this was in vain, from my deductions, i think this extra layer of mylar reflects the sound from the mylar that is between the stators. the reason it is there is to catch dust etc. from getting in between the stators. this is my understanding... correct me if i'm wrong. the other reason i say this is because after having another coughing fit (i'm sick as a dog) the squealing sound started again, so basically removing all that hair didn't fix anything

but a couple of smacks to the head and it's all good again...

hmmm any other ideas before i conclude that this driver also has other faults, although not as great as the first driver and start saving for a new set...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › stax srm-1 mk-2/lambda pro channel imbalance!