Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Friend Suspended - What's Your Take
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friend Suspended - What's Your Take - Page 3

post #31 of 64
sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to me, i believe that the punishment was unfair and that the college should make amends. seek legal advice, send a letter clearly stating how the punishment was unfair and for what reasons. make it clear that legal proceedings will be undertaken if things are not resolved in a satisfactory manner (removing the suspension from the record). more often than not, this should sort things out fairly quickly.
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
i am clearly biased in favor of the student that is getting ********ted, since i constantly get ******** from teachers for no reason.
If you're constantly getting negative attention from teachers for no apparent reason, you desperately need to talk to someone who can give you a clear objective picture of how you carry yourself.
post #33 of 64
I think the kid should work to get the offense off his permanent record, but I personally feel no sympathy for the kid. Sure, Assassins might be a harmless and fun game, and even if he did start it before VT, it was definitely a stupid move to keep it going. He should have at least ended the game in lieu of the recent events at VT and to keep stuff like this from happening. It's called common sense, and it's sort of sad to see that your friend didn't have enough of it to prevent getting in trouble.

Good luck to him.
post #34 of 64
I was just reading some accounts of kids hurt by Zero Tolerance policies. http://www.ztnightmares.com/

There are varying degrees of bad behavior in the stories on that site. Most of them are met with overreactions and flat out discrimination by the authorities.

This is probably the worst out of the three or four I read: http://www.ztnightmares.com/html/GateCity.html
post #35 of 64
there's no side of righteousness here. your friend made a bonehead decision to keep this going after the shootings, and the admins weren't exactly in the mood to turn a blind eye to an otherwise bonehead-only move. it's all about context - if the shootings never happened, we wouldn't be talking about your pal underreacting or the school overreacting. but the shootings did happen, and everyone's reacting around it, so take it for what it is and tell your pal to do what he has to do on a personal level to clean up his record - but don't expect any serious campus-wide (or internet-wide) debate on the subject, imho.
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzula View Post
If you're constantly getting negative attention from teachers for no apparent reason, you desperately need to talk to someone who can give you a clear objective picture of how you carry yourself.
ok, i was exaggerating. i meant that whenever i do get in trouble, it's for a pretty bad reason. i probably clock in about 1 disciplinary action every 2 months.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime View Post
I was just reading some accounts of kids hurt by Zero Tolerance policies. http://www.ztnightmares.com/

There are varying degrees of bad behavior in the stories on that site. Most of them are met with overreactions and flat out discrimination by the authorities.

This is probably the worst out of the three or four I read: http://www.ztnightmares.com/html/GateCity.html
zero tolerance. my favorite. when we were cleaning out lockers last year, i was emptying out my backpack. a teacher was standing over my shoulder. there was a little toy pistol in the bottom of the bag (that i had put in there a few months ago) and she saw. bam. 80 days at the alternative school.

and at my hearing they didn't even have the toy gun. they just had a picture of it, blown up a few times to make it look actual size (it was about the size of my palm). boy was that fun. also i still went to the movies and stuff, and one of my friends started talking about me being suspended for a ******** reason (at school, probably a dumb move). he got suspended for that, and when i got back, all of the administrators gave me the stink eye and told me i was trying to get students riled up for no reason.

because of that 80 day suspension, i am labeled as a problem child by any teacher that has seen my permanent record. it will be the same for your friend, computerpro3. even if he did make a mistake (i don't think he did), he will be labeled as a problem child or bad apple until he graduates college most likely, which is completely unfair. did i mention that i can't go on a field trip to six flags because of that 80 day suspension? or to the belle (a ferry) or my graduation? all because of something i did (i didn't even do anything keep that in mind) in 6th grade?

boy how i love school. i could ****ing punch a hole through my wall now, i am just so angry with my situation...

edit: not high school graduation, some award ceremony. if i wasn't allowed to go to my high school graduation i would probably drop out of school and become a professional hobo or something.
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
boy how i love school. i could ****ing punch a hole through my wall now, i am just so angry with my situation...

Just be glad Head-fi isn't zero tolerance. Such anger.

I'm returning to the opinion that I'm happy I was homeschooled. Then again I graduated in 2000 and with Columbine happening in April '99 I probably could have squeaked out before the politically correct feces hit the proverbial fan.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime View Post
Just be glad Head-fi isn't zero tolerance. Such anger.

I'm returning to the opinion that I'm happy I was homeschooled. Then again I graduated in 2000 and with Columbine happening in April '99 I probably could have squeaked out before the politically correct feces hit the proverbial fan.
lol i'm not really angry. i really only have problems related to that suspension with teachers that decide they don't like me from the start anyways. i had great teachers last year and everything, it was just the administration that felt like picking on me. my band director too, but he was just trying to make sure i didn't get into trouble again so i thank him for that.
post #40 of 64
Let's sum it up:
1) School tells friend to stop promoting/recruiting this game in school
2) Teacher hears friend promoting it the following day anyway (and whether inadvertently or not, he did just that
3) Friend gets suspended.

Where exactly is the injustice in that? Whether or you disagree with the school or not (I personally do not see the harm in this game and think people need to stop being so damn sensitive about everything), they laid down the rules, your friend was aware of those rules, and violated them. Stupidity is not a defense. I love the whole lawyer bit, just erase your records with a bit of legal magic. Pathetic.
post #41 of 64
Sit quietly.
post #42 of 64
It seems to me that although the friend was certainly unwise, and he displayed an egregious lack of common sense, the punishment he received was quite out of proportion to what he actually did. No one was hurt, and his actions did not seem to have any negative effect on the school or other students, so why punish him so severely?
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJB View Post
It seems to me that although the friend was certainly unwise, and he displayed an egregious lack of common sense, the punishment he received was quite out of proportion to what he actually did. No one was hurt, and his actions did not seem to have any negative effect on the school or other students, so why punish him so severely?
yes: malice of intent is absent in this case. stupidity is a pretty good defense when you are accused of doing something on purpose.

edit: scratch that. no just malice of intent, there is a lack of intent in general.
post #44 of 64
Curious, what all goes on your perm record?

Only thing I've ever got in trouble for was drawing a penis on my friends detention form, he never erased it and turned it in, and the principal saw it as a act against the teacher who gave the detention to him and talked of suspension so I stood up and took the blame (which in my eyes was mainly my friends fault as he clearly saw it on his detention and left it there) and received a detention.
post #45 of 64
This thread is starting to remind me of the Violent Femmes' "Kiss Off" -

"I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record."

oh yea?

well don't get so distressed

did I happen to mention that i'm impressed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Friend Suspended - What's Your Take