Saw the movie yesterday. I liked it less than the first two, but there is significantly more action.
- There is more comedy in this third movie, but it didn't really seem to fit very well. The tone shifts quite rapidly from scene to scene (esp. in the middle act), and sometimes, you're not quite sure whether it is meant as comedy or not.
- There is lots of action and more villains. But neither Sandman, Venom or New Goblin are developed as well as Dr Octopus. None play a significant role and the set pieces aren't really developed from the plot - they just happen. And while there are more action scenes, none are as engaging as the train-going-out-of-control-scene in Spider-Man 2.
- What's with giving Kirsten Dunst THREE scenes where she sings???
- Tobey Maguire looks significantly older and more puffy in this movie and I didn't really like his Peter Parker this time around. He's abit too grating.
- I did like Venom. I thought he was cool and they really should have given him more screen time.
The film tries to please general audiences and comic geeks, and it probably manages neither. Over here, the film going public don't really know the comic or the characters well (it is not part of the pop culture), and one of the major complaints levelled against the earlier movies was too much drama and not enough action. No one is going to give a damn about the appearance of Gwen Stacey here, either.