New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shaving, gents - Page 56

post #826 of 872

just apply the cream directly to the face, then take a slightly wetter brush to start the process. Keep adding water if the brush gets dry (I use boar brushes mainly). Creams I'd face lathered with: Omega (or Proraso), Nivea sensitive, Godrej Mint

post #827 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


You're definitely not alone...

I never knew how to face lather in the first place, though biggrin.gif

Have you ever tried to build up the lather in your hand ? I find it way more enjoyable than doing so in a bowl...

BTW : What cream do you use ?

 

I end up using a bowl if for no other reason than having somewhere to put the brush, and I can build more lather in a bowl anyway.

 

Mostly use Erasmic as a bought a few tubes but I also have Palm Olive, St. James, RSC, Ingram, SuperMax, probably a couple of others!

post #828 of 872

I shave every 2 days with a Gillette Fusion and Jack Black Beard Lube or occasionally Jack Black's Supreme Creme. I tried using a double edge razor  but could never get the hang of it. It doesn't help that I have a tiny mole on my neck that the double edge razor never seemed to miss. Good riddance to the razor. 

post #829 of 872
When shaving with my DE razors, I do very short strokes, with as least amount of pressure.
I've only been using the DE razors for about 18 months but the way I shave with them I can count one one hand how many times I've nicked myself, and I get an amazing shave every time, however I also shave my head but I use my fusion for that.

P.S. I have a straight razor on order so I'm looking forward to giving that ago.
post #830 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

When shaving with my DE razors, I do very short strokes, with as least amount of pressure.
I've only been using the DE razors for about 18 months but the way I shave with them I can count one one hand how many times I've nicked myself, and I get an amazing shave every time, however I also shave my head but I use my fusion for that.

P.S. I have a straight razor on order so I'm looking forward to giving that ago.


What straight did you buy ?

post #831 of 872
I'm getting it custom made by TC Blades.
It's a western style blade with a Japanese handle.
The blade is being made of carbon steel, and the wood used is black ebony and Amboyna burl, with a silver spacer.
The handle will be none folding like my Iwasaki kamisori.

I'll post a photo when I have it.

P.S. There are photos of what the straight razor will look very similar to on TC Blades website, it's in " straight razor gallery " photos 11, 13, 14, 15.
The photos of that straight razor on TC's website has a Japanese style blade, whereas mine will be western style.
post #832 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I'm getting it custom made by TC Blades.
It's a western style blade with a Japanese handle.
The blade is being made of carbon steel, and the wood used is black ebony and Amboyna burl, with a silver spacer.
The handle will be none folding like my Iwasaki kamisori.

I'll post a photo when I have it.

P.S. There are photos of what the straight razor will look very similar to on TC Blades website, it's in " straight razor gallery " photos 11, 13, 14, 15.
The photos of that straight razor on TC's website has a Japanese style blade, whereas mine will be western style.


I wish you the very best with your new acquisition ! While not as luxurious, I absolutely love my Dovo Classic...

 

Straight razors are just so much more enjoyable than DE's.

post #833 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

I wish you the very best with your new acquisition ! While not as luxurious, I absolutely love my Dovo Classic...

 

Straight razors are just so much more enjoyable than DE's.

 

Thanks customcoco.

 

A head-fier friend has a Dovo Mammoth and it was he that got me thinking on getting a western style straight razor.

However I don't like the folding handle type which is why I've gone for a Japanese style handle.

 

Here's a drawing I did on the shape of the razor I've ordered.

 

 

Because I want the handle to be more secure, I've just sent TC this drawing hoping he can put a rivet where the drawing shows.

 

I've also asked him if he can get hold of some deep red Amboyna Burl wood.

post #834 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
 

 

Thanks customcoco.

 

A head-fier friend has a Dovo Mammoth and it was he that got me thinking on getting a western style straight razor.

However I don't like the folding handle type which is why I've gone for a Japanese style handle.

 

Here's a drawing I did on the shape of the razor I've ordered.

 

 

 

Because I want the handle to be more secure, I've just sent TC this drawing hoping he can put a rivet where the drawing shows.

 

I've also asked him if he can get hold of some deep red Amboyna Burl wood.

That looks great !

 

When will you get hold of it ?

post #835 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

That looks great !

 

When will you get hold of it ?

 

Hi customcoco,

 

TC hasn't told me how long it'll be before it's ready for delivery, but he sent me an email the other day saying he was on with the blade, and was getting hold of some Amboyna Burl.

 

Regarding the Amboyna Burl, I like it in a Deep Red, so I've asked TC if he could get some in that colour,  he told me he'll get a few pieces then send me photos so I can choose.

 

TC told me the rivet I've asked for isn't necessary because the glue he uses to secure the handle to the blade is very strong, but I just wanted I rivet used for peace of mind, so he said he can do that..

 

I'll post a photo when I have it.

post #836 of 872

Buy any 3-6 blade razor and jump in the shower. Run the hot water over your face for 20 seconds and begin shaving. You don't need any prep or shaving cream/gel. The water will lubricate and keep the hair soft so it shaves easy. Then comes the most head-scratching moment. When I'm done shaving in the shower I rub shaving foam on my freshly shaved face and then wash it off. Another plus to putting shaving foam afterwards is you can easily tell if you missed any spots. When I shave in the shower I do it without a mirror. This is why I use the 3-6 blade razors with the guard on it.  


Edited by Folex - 6/16/14 at 8:22pm
post #837 of 872
I have recently been trying the cold water shaving method that LFF recommended. I wake up and before getting in the shower, wash my face with cold water, then put on shaving cream(still just using barbasol with the DE) then shave. I have consistently been getting closer shaves using the cold water method, as compared to before when I would shower first with hot water, then shave with hot water.

Cold water shaving for the win
post #838 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
 

 

I'll post a photo when I have it.

Please do !

 

I'd also love to hear your impressions about how western straights differ, on a day-to-day basis, from eastern straights... If you don't mind, of course ;)

post #839 of 872
Quote:

Originally Posted by customcoco View Post

 

Please do !

 

I'd also love to hear your impressions about how western straights differ, on a day-to-day basis, from eastern straights... If you don't mind, of course ;)

 

Customcoco, when I got the Iwasaki Kamisori, it was only available in right-handed and I'm left-handed. I didn't think this would be a problem because the balance and feel of the Iwasaki I find is perfect, but with Japanese straight razors the blade veers to one side and I found the Iwasaki awkward to shave with my left hand.

 

The straight razor I've ordered from TC is supposed to be a Japanese razor, but I asked TC if he could do it with a western style blade, so hopefully it'll be easier to use than the Iwasaki.

I don't think I'll be using the Iwasaki that often, so because of that I might end up selling it.

post #840 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
 

 

Customcoco, when I got the Iwasaki Kamisori, it was only available in right-handed and I'm left-handed. I didn't think this would be a problem because the balance and feel of the Iwasaki I find is perfect, but with Japanese straight razors the blade veers to one side and I found the Iwasaki awkward to shave with my left hand.

 

The straight razor I've ordered from TC is supposed to be a Japanese razor, but I asked TC if he could do it with a western style blade, so hopefully it'll be easier to use than the Iwasaki.

I don't think I'll be using the Iwasaki that often, so because of that I might end up selling it.

 

Thanks for those explanations.

 

A question just appeared in my mind, though : how do you strop a kamisori ? Just like a normal western blade ? Does the differing angles change anything to the way you pass it on the leather ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home