New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shaving, gents - Page 54

post #796 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

I can never beat a really, really, sharp knife. My friends think I'm just trying to look cool, but seriously? A nice knife reground with a shallow angle, sharpened carefully and stropped on a belt gets closer than any razor I've found (I imagine a nice straight razor would be better, but I have no idea where to find a good one, not to mention they're likely quite expensive.)


Try buying one from the Badger and Blade forums. I bought my first straight there for $20.00 in very nice condition and shave ready!

post #797 of 872
Got a Art of Shaving kit as a gift from my wife, now I am hooked, reading badger and blade topics as often as I come here. Why do we have to be this way? Why can't we just buy a good headphone (or a razor, or even a pair of running shoes and a cromoly road bike frame, coming back to some of my recent obsessions) and be all set?
post #798 of 872
Sorry, double post.
Edited by leogodoy - 5/4/13 at 6:14am
post #799 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post
Why do we have to be this way? Why can't we just buy a good headphone (or a razor, or even a pair of running shoes and a cromoly road bike frame, coming back to some of my recent obsessions) and be all set?

 

Give it time, it will happen.

I'm happy with my Feather (Razor/Blades) + Proraso. Never had a better shave, and I don't think it can get better than this (unless I do some extensive preparation of course). So no reason to change anything.

 

Same with headphones for me. I've got an HD650, pretty much among the best out there, I'm not craving for more for atleast a few years.

post #800 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post

Got a Art of Shaving kit as a gift from my wife, now I am hooked, reading badger and blade topics as often as I come here. Why do we have to be this way? Why can't we just buy a good headphone (or a razor, or even a pair of running shoes and a cromoly road bike frame, coming back to some of my recent obsessions) and be all set?


Yeah...I understand.

 

I was the same way until I found the perfect razor for myself...a vintage Hoffritz slant. I got a Merkur 37c and 39c as well as a few other slants after that and have been super happy with them. My RAD has officially stopped.

 

I have also tried a slew of shaving soaps and creams and find myself getting the best results with Proraso and MWF soap. Nothing else comes close, except maybe Arko and even my trusty Arko shave stick is a distant 3rd after Proraso (Green, Blue and Red) and MWF.

 

I can honestly say that NOTHING beats an all Proraso shave for me. Luckily, it's one of the more affordable options out there.

post #801 of 872
Yeah, I do believe the "end game" kit is closer and cheaper to achieve in shaving than here in headphones.
post #802 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogodoy View Post

Yeah, I do believe the "end game" kit is closer and cheaper to achieve in shaving than here in headphones.


Yeah I agree. I don't think you have shaving companies pushing people for good reviews on BadgerandBlade. That helps a lot.

post #803 of 872

I ran out of my Proroso Green and while I waited for a near-lifetime supply to come in from eBay I grabbed some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Sensitive-Shave-Cream-Ounce/dp/B005C4WPIY/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367964775&sr=1-2&keywords=neutrogena+shave+gel

 

Actually pretty impressed.  SUPER smooth and fast shave, if it's less than 24 hours since I last shaved it is hard to see where I have shaved and have not since it doesn't foam up at all, but worth a shot if you are using a DE or safety for a quicker shave than straight.

post #804 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool462 View Post

I ran out of my Proroso Green and while I waited for a near-lifetime supply to come in from eBay I grabbed some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Sensitive-Shave-Cream-Ounce/dp/B005C4WPIY/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367964775&sr=1-2&keywords=neutrogena+shave+gel

 

Actually pretty impressed.  SUPER smooth and fast shave, if it's less than 24 hours since I last shaved it is hard to see where I have shaved and have not since it doesn't foam up at all, but worth a shot if you are using a DE or safety for a quicker shave than straight.


Cool, and that's a very good price !

 

In other news :

 

I've bought this :

 

 

Fantastic brush at a fantastic price. I'm done with brushes.

post #805 of 872

^^

 

Haven't tried many brushes but the Black Fibre is quick to create a decent lather.

 

 

Anyone a Muhle R41 aficionado? Apparently the latest version has a larger cap. I've seen it suggested that using the cap from the open comb version (2010? I think it's the same as the Merkur 15C head) with the first tooth comb plate is close to the latest R41.

 

I believe that the two tooth comb plates are slightly different and it looks to me as thought the underside of the caps have a different curvature (open comb vs tooth comb).

 

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has tried the latest R41 and the hybrid from the previous versions.

post #806 of 872

I don't have any info about the Merkur Model you mentioned, I do however have a Merkur (can't remember the model- it seems to always be out of stock - very popular).  I modestly suggest you use a best badger hair brush they are pricey (start at around $35-40, and go into the $$$$) I bought one a couple of years ago for around $40 USD- and I swear by it!  Really better than boars hair- much softer and more pleasant.

post #807 of 872
I have never tried the R41 - it scares me confused_face.gif. But there's a fantastic comparison of the '11 vs '13 models on this page. I'm not super keen on a the idea of a really aggressive razor - I rarely do more than one pass and usually shave ever other day anyway. Actually I've never tried an OC before but think I'd rather try a proper OC before the 41. Do you like the Muhle?

I've gotten totally bored with my little ol' HD so I picked a Feather SS (non-folding). Tried it for the first time this morning - man that's a fun razor. Love it!
post #808 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

I have never tried the R41 - it scares me confused_face.gif. But there's a fantastic comparison of the '11 vs '13 models on this page. I'm not super keen on a the idea of a really aggressive razor - I rarely do more than one pass and usually shave ever other day anyway. Actually I've never tried an OC before but think I'd rather try a proper OC before the 41. Do you like the Muhle?

I've gotten totally bored with my little ol' HD so I picked a Feather SS (non-folding). Tried it for the first time this morning - man that's a fun razor. Love it!

 

I currently use Feather razor and blades, but the angle on the R41 seems a bit higher. According to them it doesn't take a second pass, it definitely does with my current setup (I shave almost twice a week).

Could someone chime in on the performance of the R41?

post #809 of 872
I've been using feather blades for a couple of years now and recently decided they aren't as smooth as I would like them to be (not cheap either). I picked up some black 7 O'clocks at a little local shop - pretty good blades, seemed to degrade quickly - and have a sampler to work my way through, as well as some of the much ballyhooed Super Iridiums en-route. Anyone use the S.I.s?

I tried a Fatip Piccolo for the first time today (astra blade from my bunch of samples). Gave a great, smooth, one-pass shave. I'd say it's a keeper. But not as much fun as the SS.

Like to hear more about the 41 too. From what I read it takes a lot of attention to your angles to get good results. My initial thought is that it sounds like using a straight without the joys of stropping and the super smooth shave of a big @ss blade. But having not tried it I defer to those who enjoy them.
post #810 of 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

I've been using feather blades for a couple of years now and recently decided they aren't as smooth as I would like them to be (not cheap either). I picked up some black 7 O'clocks at a little local shop - pretty good blades, seemed to degrade quickly - and have a sampler to work my way through, as well as some of the much ballyhooed Super Iridiums en-route. Anyone use the S.I.s?
 

 

Feather not smooth? Thats new.  There are two kinds of Feather, one is platinum coated. For me with adequate preparation, its a very smooth shaving experience. One blade lasts for about 3-4 good shaves.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home