New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shaving, gents - Page 48

post #706 of 848

Hey all, I was looking for what kind of wet shaving stuff I can get in my place.

 

They have the following (in my price range):

 

Razor : Feather 800-1B Razor

Blades: Feather 71-S (Hi-Stainless) or 81-S (Platinum Coated).

 

Brush: Feather is too expensive (natural hair), but Omega is cheap (synthetic/boar).

Cream: Nivea/Gillette/Palmolive/Omega

 

 

I'm wondering if I should buy these here, or are there any better options I can order from amazon?

post #707 of 848
The Feather 81s are great blades - but very very sharp. The first shave with a new blade can be a bit raw IF you are still working on your technique. If you're confident with your razor, they make for a wonderful shave.
post #708 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

The Feather 81s are great blades - but very very sharp. The first shave with a new blade can be a bit raw IF you are still working on your technique. If you're confident with your razor, they make for a wonderful shave.

Yeah I've been using feathers ever since the very beginning of my DE journey. Haven't tried any others yet
post #709 of 848
I've got a crap load of Derby's that I'll never get through because they don't agree with my face anywhere near as well as the Feathers.
post #710 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

The Feather 81s are great blades - but very very sharp. The first shave with a new blade can be a bit raw IF you are still working on your technique. If you're confident with your razor, they make for a wonderful shave.


Hmmm...I've used the traditional razor before I switched to the twin edge/mach 3. Anything special I need to take care about?

 

But I can always start with the 71-S that comes with the razor.

 

Also, how about the razor? I've read good reviews about it on amazon.

post #711 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


 Anything special I need to take care about?

 

 

 

Also, how about the razor? I've read good reviews about it on amazon.


Nope.

 

Is it a butterfly razor? Sorry but I'm too lazy to search...

post #712 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

Hmmm...I've used the traditional razor before I switched to the twin edge/mach 3. Anything special I need to take care about?

But I can always start with the 71-S that comes with the razor.

Also, how about the razor? I've read good reviews about it on amazon.

As long as you're comfortable with a DE razor you'll be fine. As far as I can remember, the difference in blade models was just one of packaging for market distribution - the black package had 5 blades in it and was for some countries and the yellow had 10 blades and was supposed to be sold in a different market. I could be wrong though.

No idea about the razor itself. I started with straights about five years back and only switched to DEs two years ago (because there always seems to be a kid in the bathroom with me when I'm shaving these days). The only one I own and have used is the bog standard Merkur HD.
post #713 of 848

You may want to try a blade sampler pack fro Amazon. I do like the Feathers, but as mentioned the can be a bit, well, a bit.... edgy... ha! at first.

 

There's also the matter of how often you switch blades. Some folks like to toss them after one use, but you can get 3 or 5 uses from one. My rule of thumb is that as soon as I feel any resistance from the razor I put a new one in, so not set number of uses. Some of my friends use once then toss, others will use one per week regardless. I'm very practical and will switch only when the blade feels like it has lost its... oh here we go again... lost its edge.

 

Back to the Feathers in that use case, if you use once and toss you will not get the best of the blade, but the other extreme applies here as well: I find Feathers to use their edge rather quickly so they are good for two maybe two uses, three with a hand strop (mentioned later).

 

I you are starting out, I like to recommend the sampler as I mentioned or the Derby's. When I give a razor, I always give it away with 10 Derby's. They are easy blades to use and find.

 

Harder to find but my overall favorite blades the the Iridium Super's. They are as sharp as the Feathers but smoother and hold their edge much longer. I've gotten as much as two or three out of one of these.

 

Remember to rinse the blade in the same temperature water you used to shave and to shake it dry. Some guys will remove the blade from the razor  and clean it after each use, but as I've said my OCD falls more on the practical side. Also, when you think your blade may not be cutting smoothly, take it out of the razor and strop it over the palm of your hand then put it back flipped over. This way you can easily get a couple more uses out of it.
 

KP

post #714 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillerPiglet View Post

You may want to try a blade sampler pack fro Amazon. I do like the Feathers, but as mentioned the can be a bit, well, a bit.... edgy... ha! at first.

There's also the matter of how often you switch blades. Some folks like to toss them after one use, but you can get 3 or 5 uses from one. My rule of thumb is that as soon as I feel any resistance from the razor I put a new one in, so not set number of uses. Some of my friends use once then toss, others will use one per week regardless. I'm very practical and will switch only when the blade feels like it has lost its... oh here we go again... lost its edge.

Back to the Feathers in that use case, if you use once and toss you will not get the best of the blade, but the other extreme applies here as well: I find Feathers to use their edge rather quickly so they are good for two maybe two uses, three with a hand strop (mentioned later).

I you are starting out, I like to recommend the sampler as I mentioned or the Derby's. When I give a razor, I always give it away with 10 Derby's. They are easy blades to use and find.

Harder to find but my overall favorite blades the the Iridium Super's. They are as sharp as the Feathers but smoother and hold their edge much longer. I've gotten as much as two or three out of one of these.

Remember to rinse the blade in the same temperature water you used to shave and to shake it dry. Some guys will remove the blade from the razor  and clean it after each use, but as I've said my OCD falls more on the practical side. Also, when you think your blade may not be cutting smoothly, take it out of the razor and strop it over the palm of your hand then put it back flipped over. This way you can easily get a couple more uses out of it.


KP

Derbys are great blades for learning - very forgiving and generally well priced. Good call.
post #715 of 848
I got the feather razor and blades 71-S today. Will try it this week and report back.
post #716 of 848

just stumbled on this thread, never really been in the non head-fi gear section. So what are head-fiers shaving with?

 

I'm using a Merkur 34C, Simpsons Duke 2 and I'm usually using Mystic Waters shaving soaps and occasionally proraso.


Anyone here using Mystic Waters?

post #717 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

I got the feather razor and blades 71-S today. Will try it this week and report back.


Did you buy a brush too? If you didn't, I highly recommend the mühle HJM ones. I've compared it to omega's current synthetic model and the mühle blew it out of the water.

 

I'm buying one.

post #718 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


Did you buy a brush too? If you didn't, I highly recommend the mühle HJM ones. I've compared it to omega's current synthetic model and the mühle blew it out of the water.

 

I'm buying one.


No, I'd bought the Schiik gel recently, and plan on finishing it before I go back to using the brush. But I just checked the HJM, they look really nice!  The only issue is it'll cost me more to ship than the brush itself!

I'll try to find what brushes they have at the shop I got my razor from, and report back.

post #719 of 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


No, I'd bought the Schiik gel recently, and plan on finishing it before I go back to using the brush. But I just checked the HJM, they look really nice!  The only issue is it'll cost me more to ship than the brush itself!

I'll try to find what brushes they have at the shop I got my razor from, and report back.

You can find it on amazon : 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Muehle-Black-Shave-Brush/dp/B0006O4NIA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359714981&sr=8-4&keywords=muhle+brush

 

It's way more than what I paid for it (I'm in europe) but I still think that it's a great value.

 

Keep us posted

post #720 of 848

Got the best shave I have ever had since I started wet shaving last night! biggrin.gif

 

Seriously...NO Irritation, two-pass shave (WTG and XTG) with baby butt smooth results. AMAZING! It feels like I shaved ATG. I don't even get these results with a three-pass shave with my normal DE razors.

 

The Pre-Shave:

1) Cold Water

2) Corn Huskers Lotion

 

The Shaving materials:

 

1) Feather Blade

2) Hoffritz Slant Razor

3) Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap

4) Vie Long Cachurro Horse Hair Brush

5) Cold Water

 

The Post Shave

1) Cold Water

2) Alum Block

3) Witch Hazel

4) Aqua Velva

5) Corn Huskers Lotion

6) DIY Cologne

 

So, I got home weary and tired after a long day and exhausting night.

 

I jumped in the shower, with lukewarm water. I am working my way down to cold water showers. I shampoo with Pinaud's Quinine Shampoo. Remove the dust of everyday life with a plain ol' Ivory soap bar. I step out, pat myself dry.

 

I comb my hair back and apply some Eau De Quinine Hair Tonic followed by two small, light sprays of Bumble South Surf Hair Spray.

 

I then proceeded to apply cold water to my face, followed by some Corn Huskers to prep my skin and beard. First time I do this. I did this based on the advice of fellow wet shaving peers.

 

I had my Hoffritz Slant ready to go. Also, first time I use this. I must admit, I was a bit scared having heard of how mean a slant can be on the face...and...add to that...a new Feather Blade. eek.gif I had heard a slant with a feather is basically the same as a straight.

 

I started making some luxurious lather with the Vie Long and MWF. Proceeded to lather up and down came the slant. After the first pass I had results that looked and felt like a third or fourth pass with my other razors!

 

Second pass left it BBS.

 

I rinsed off with cold water and applied my alum block. Very little sting. Followed that up with some witch hazel which I allowed to dry while I cleaned up my supplies. Once the witch hazel had dried, I splashed on the Aqua Velva and allowed that to dry. Once that dried, I applied the Corn Huskers for moisturizing. After all was said and done, I combed my hair to the usual style and applied some of my DIY Sweet Tobacco Cologne.

 

Simply amazing! My GF agreed. beerchug.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home