New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shaving, gents - Page 44

post #646 of 814

Anyone used the Merkur blades? They're a lot more expensive than most other blades, I wonder if they're worth it.

post #647 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleheadMay View Post

Anyone used the Merkur blades? They're a lot more expensive than most other blades, I wonder if they're worth it.


Yes.

 

IMHO, the are the bare minimum. I don't like them. Considering the price...they really suck.


Try to get some Yellow Shark Stainless Steel blades. Cheap, sharp and smooth.

post #648 of 814

Thanks, I'll check if I can find them here in Europe.

post #649 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleheadMay View Post

Thanks, I'll check if I can find them here in Europe.

I believe these guys ship from Turkey.

 

http://shop.bestshave.net/100-shark-super-stainless-de-blades-p-98.html

 

Also...that's the price for 100 blades!!!

 

5 Merkur blades at a local store here in the states runs you $5.49.


Edited by LFF - 12/30/12 at 11:34am
post #650 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post


Yes.

 

IMHO, the are the bare minimum. I don't like them. Considering the price...they really suck.

 

Agreed.

post #651 of 814

I felt the need to report in that Kiss My Face makes a DAM FINE LATHER!. I had on of my best shaves last night.

 

Merkur 23C

Kiss My Face Cool Mint Moisture Shave

Tweezerman Brush

Gillette 7 O'clock Black Blades

Dominica Lime Bay Rum

post #652 of 814
I've tried l'occitane Cade (soap + cream) today. Great stuff really, wonderful lather, nice scent and no irritations at all (much less than my Taylor jermyn street).

I also tried to do 2 pass and it worked pretty well...
post #653 of 814

Just to resurrect the "size" issue.

 

The big handle stuff seems to just be a foible of modern life. What used to be mid-size or compact cars now seem a lot bloatier in later versions of the same model. And I doubt many people can park in garages built before the early 1970s.

 

Same* with razors. The last venetian blind I used was a present from Mrs D, and very nice ( fancy porcelain handle ) it was too - apart from the sharp end, of course.

 

When I went old-timey with the Superspeed, it felt really dinky, but I got used to it in no time. Trying out the fancy one now makes me think there is a garden rake missing a handle somewhere...

 

 

 

 

 

*...OK, it probably isn't.

post #654 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Just to resurrect the "size" issue.

 

The big handle stuff seems to just be a foible of modern life. What used to be mid-size or compact cars now seem a lot bloatier in later versions of the same model. And I doubt many people can park in garages built before the early 1970s.

 

Same* with razors. The last venetian blind I used was a present from Mrs D, and very nice ( fancy porcelain handle ) it was too - apart from the sharp end, of course.

 

When I went old-timey with the Superspeed, it felt really dinky, but I got used to it in no time. Trying out the fancy one now makes me think there is a garden rake missing a handle somewhere...

 

 

 

 

 

*...OK, it probably isn't.


Well, I don't think that it's an issue when it comes to razor handles. I have pretty big hands, with long and thin fingers, and I like bigger handles more... Even though I could certainly get used to smaller ones.

 

Now have you seen the latest breed of high-end brushes? That is insanity.

post #655 of 814

Interesting discovery this morning.

 

I've just shaved using a "Korres" exfoliating body soap (don't ask me why...) and you know what? It worked !! On par with my Taylor..

post #656 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


Well, I don't think that it's an issue when it comes to razor handles. I have pretty big hands, with long and thin fingers, and I like bigger handles more... Even though I could certainly get used to smaller ones.

 

Now have you seen the latest breed of high-end brushes? That is insanity.

That's why I recommend everyone just get a Turkish horsehair brush!

 

They are awesome!

post #657 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

That's why I recommend everyone just get a Turkish horsehair brush!

 

They are awesome!

I confess that I own a Simpson Chubby 2 and I absolutely love it biggrin.gif. However, a horse hair brush for $2.45 is certainly intriguing!

post #658 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

That's why I recommend everyone just get a Turkish horsehair brush!

 

They are awesome!

I did take the step to get the DE razor, but im still just using barbasol and applying it with my hands like i always have.

 

Is there really that much benefit to using the brush and a fancier cream or bar for the lather? i also shave every day so i never really have any growth on my face.

post #659 of 814

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

 

I have a couple of questions.

 

I'm using the run of the mill Schick Hydro gel, and Mach 3, and shave every alternate day.

 

Firstly, I've never managed to have a smooth shave with going with the grain, so I generally shave in both directions. Is it ok to do that?

I've never faced any problems, but it does give a good shave. 

 

Also, how many shaves should I use a cartridge for? Is it better to use the safety razor with blades?

post #660 of 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

Is there really that much benefit to using the brush and a fancier cream or bar for the lather? i also shave every day so i never really have any growth on my face.

To the brush… Eh. I put it down to more of a life-hack thing. You know, those things that don’t cost a lot but make you feel better about your existence? Like switching from cheap wire hangers to wooden ones.

In terms of fancy shaving cream, your mileage will vary but I find I do get a better shave. The other thing is that cheap shaving soap/cream smells awful. Or, when it doesn’t smell like the worst part of a drug store, it smells just meh. Not good, not bad. Take a little step up in quality and suddenly a whole new range of cents open up to you. I’m a big fan of a citrus smell in the morning. My soap reflects that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home