New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K1000 Room Impression Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Awesome, I'd love to have him mod one of mine with a longer cable>bananas and new cages.
New cages? Would that be to replace dented/damaged originals or get a different design altogether?
post #122 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcn View Post
Bob I not sure if I thanked you enough for your gracious loan of your RWA sig 30 amp for the room.

For those who have not heard the RWA Sig 30 it is a GREAT amp for k1000s. It may not be as fast or as detailed as the F1 but it is seductive in it's tone. Putting it in to perspective
RWA Sig 30 about $1500
F1 $2000 plus preamp another $1000 (eastern electric minimax) plus another interconnect $100
The Zanden is at least twice the price of the F1
So for the money the RWA for a small amp off the power grid with volume control is a steal.

Moon audio for those that have not seen the silver cable with the silver spades I would love to hear that hardwired and can not get the thought of either that or the SAA cable hardwired out of my head.
post #123 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionTrader View Post
New cages? Would that be to replace dented/damaged originals or get a different design altogether?
there is a thought of removing the metal cages and replacing with a speaker cloth. This is risky as it exposes the drivers but it eliminates the cage rattle some hear. I now beleive that cage rattle may be Tyrion's speaker issue. So far I think only Patrick82 has attempted a grill mod.
If a company came out with a user kit I would purchase one but the k1000s would never leave the house.
post #124 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801 View Post
there is a thought of removing the metal cages and replacing with a speaker cloth. This is risky as it exposes the drivers but it eliminates the cage rattle some hear. I now beleive that cage rattle may be Tyrion's speaker issue. So far I think only Patrick82 has attempted a grill mod.
If a company came out with a user kit I would purchase one but the k1000s would never leave the house.
Thanks. I thought that there is supposed to be some kind of special 'goop' similar to glue used during assembly that should dampen any vibration from the cage screens against their frames. I haven't heard the rattle from either of my K1000s.
post #125 of 236

Has anyone tried this 300B .........

...it looks like it would be a good sub for the WE 300b?



Sophia Electric™ S.E.T. Princess™ 300B Mesh Plate Tubes for 300B Amplifiers

Specification

Reviewed by Hi Fi+ (Issue 48, page 88)

Reviewed by Tone Audio (Issue 5, page 71)

See User Reviews

Next Home Next

Note: S.E.T. Princess 300B tube models are proprietary products of Sophia Electric Inc. Due to popularity of these Princess 300B products, there are many look alike (or early ST model) in the market trying to get a share of success from those who can be easily switched.

Sophia Electric S.E.T. Princess 300B mesh plate tube is the upper class model of the current 300B line (globe shape is still in production). This new tube is using the same 300B plate(as the globe 300B) with stronger plate structure learned from making the original princess tubes. It is a true 300B tube. It will work with all 300B amplifiers (Western Electric 300B direct replacement).

The glass enclosure was from the Princess 206 tube for its unmatched sonic beauty. The shape of glass enclosure does make a major difference. Just thinking of violin's shape, if it gets changed to triangle, the sound character of violin will change for sure.

Sophia Electric engineers have conducted many hours of audition and comparison. In the end the current shape of Princess tube glass enclosure is the most preferred choice sonically. It has more volume and more curved than the old ST. It is not the old ST came back rather it is a carefully crafted, researched new 300B model. The result is a 300B mesh plate tube with super clarity, low distortion and out of this world mid range fullness and liquidity. High frequency extension and sweetness is the first thing you would hear.

Sophia Electric Princess 300B mesh plate
S.E.T. Princess® 300B is the tube on the left.
S.E.T. Princess® classic/206 is the tube on the right.

Order today, be the first one to hear this amazing 300B tube.

True 300B standard:

This is a true 300B tube that is 100% interchangeable with the popular Sophia Electric globe shaped 300B mesh plate tubes and Western Electric 300B tubes, as well as current production Chinese/Russian 300B tubes (with WE 300B standard).

Distribution and availability:

It is important to note that the S.E.T. Princess 300B mesh plate tube is proprietary product of Sophia Electric and exclusively available through Sophia Electric and their select Authorized Retailers.

Pricing:
Option 1: $450 per premium matched pair with one year warranty (Ceramic base).
Option 2: $399.99 per premium matched pair with one year warranty (Black base).
Option 3: $399.99 per premium matched pair with 30 days warranty (Ceramic base).
Option 4: $350 per premium matched pair with 30 days warranty (Black base).
post #126 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801 View Post
Bob I not sure if I thanked you enough for your gracious loan of your RWA sig 30 amp for the room.
Thank you, John. It was my pleasure to participate in the K1000 room. I enjoyed it and learned a lot about my favorite cans.

We all owe you a special thanks for putting the room together.I know how hard you worked to get everything to come together.The result was great.
post #127 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcn View Post
It was no contest. The hardwired equinox sounded substantially better than the silver dragon tail (or an equinox tail, a black dragon tail, or a custom BJC beldon tail). It provided an effortless clarity and realism that none of the various extensions in the room could compete with.
Well, did people do careful comparison of equinox hardwire and K1000 without hardwire, but without its stock tail? (the attached stump to 4-pin XLR)?
post #128 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox View Post
...it looks like it would be a good sub for the WE 300b?

Sophia Electric™ S.E.T. Princess™ 300B Mesh Plate Tubes for 300B Amplifiers
I have the TJ Mesh Plate Premium also by Sophia Electric and they are very fine tubes, but they are not on the same level as the WEs. I would spring for the extra $150 and find some WEs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
Well, did people do careful comparison of equinox hardwire and K1000 without hardwire, but without its stock tail? (the attached stump to 4-pin XLR)?
There was a lot of listening with the various Moon and SAA tails compared to the hardwired Equinox, but I was not doing it personally. If others did enough to compare, hopefully they will post.
post #129 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
There was a lot of listening with the various Moon and SAA tails compared to the hardwired Equinox, but I was not doing it personally. If others did enough to compare, hopefully they will post.
Actually, what I mean is the stock K1000 not using any tail, i.e. the XLR plug directly driven without any tails (vs. hardwired K1000).
post #130 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
Well, did people do careful comparison of equinox hardwire and K1000 without hardwire, but without its stock tail? (the attached stump to 4-pin XLR)?
Ping and I listened to Al's hardwired SAA and the stock pair with a SAA tail and we felt that it was no contest the hardwire was the way to go. Detail improved as well as instrument timbre. This may be because of three factors

better cable from the can to the tail, elimination of one connection (xlr to xlr) and better solder contact on the driver when the rewire was done with silver bearing solder
post #131 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801 View Post
Ping and I listened to Al's hardwired SAA and the stock pair with a SAA tail and we felt that it was no contest the hardwire was the way to go. Detail improved as well as instrument timbre. This may be because of three factors

better cable from the can to the tail, elimination of one connection (xlr to xlr) and better solder contact on the driver when the rewire was done with silver bearing solder
I did a similar test at a different time I would have to agree with the above. Now that it appears that my K1000 may be okay (I've listened to 3 cds without the problem appearing. I may have jumped the gun) and have an extra pair, I think I am going to have one of the two hardwired using the SAA Equinox cable.
post #132 of 236
So is Richard now a reliable source for hardwire modifications?

If so, I would guess he is the man. Is he ok with cold calls from people he doesn't know (me) requesting hardwires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore View Post
Call Richard Land at 615-338-4443. Richard was a senior AKG tech in Nashville prior to AKG's move to California. I just got off the phone with him, and he is interested in doing hardwires and non-warranty repairs on K1000s.

Based on our conversation it sounds like he's done plenty of work on K1000s. He also specializes in out of production AKG mikes and such.

Hope this helps. Kent

P.S. As you know, AKG California apparently does not know how to spell “A_K_G K_1_0_0_0”. So as moderator -- if you feel it appropriate -- I’d love to see a sticky added to the Headphone forum with Richard’s contact info. [He is now an independent running his business as Land Audio.]
post #133 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkurita View Post
So is Richard now a reliable source for hardwire modifications?

If so, I would guess he is the man. Is he ok with cold calls from people he doesn't know (me) requesting hardwires?
I am going to give him a call today to ask about the hardwire.
post #134 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801 View Post
Bob I not sure if I thanked you enough for your gracious loan of your RWA sig 30 amp for the room.

For those who have not heard the RWA Sig 30 it is a GREAT amp for k1000s. It may not be as fast or as detailed as the F1 but it is seductive in it's tone. Putting it in to perspective
RWA Sig 30 about $1500
F1 $2000 plus preamp another $1000 (eastern electric minimax) plus another interconnect $100
The Zanden is at least twice the price of the F1
So for the money the RWA for a small amp off the power grid with volume control is a steal.

Moon audio for those that have not seen the silver cable with the silver spades I would love to hear that hardwired and can not get the thought of either that or the SAA cable hardwired out of my head.
I'll add that the Sig 30 benefits from a fast IC. Both Bob and I use a cable designed by the same guy that provides internal wiring and the external cables sold by Red Wine Audio and Omega Speakers (same silver cable as Vinnie's connector for his iMod iPod).

The company is Hudson Audio, the cable line is called AudioPath, and one we have is his top of the line, called 8-wire silver. It comes with Eichmann Silver Bullets and sells for $275 / 1M.

Try this cable, the Signature 30 and a high-end CDP together, and the results may surprise you. Not quite as fast as the F1, but has a very tube-like sound.

Many Sig 30 owners on audiocircle.com have compared the Signature 30 to some very pricey SETs, and report that the Sig 30 holds its own.

Having tried both amps, my personal analogy is that the F1 is a BMW and the Sig 30 is a Lexus. Both good. But different in their appeal. [And no air conditioner required with the Sig 30 ]
post #135 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore View Post
I'll add that the Sig 30 benefits from a fast IC. Both Bob and I use a cable designed by the same guy that provides internal wiring and the external cables sold by Red Wine Audio and Omega Speakers (same silver cable as Vinnie's connector for his iMod iPod).

The company is Hudson Audio, the cable line is called AudioPath, and one we have is his top of the line, called 8-wire silver. It comes with Eichmann Silver Bullets and sells for $275 / 1M.

Try this cable, the Signature 30 and a high-end CDP together, and the results may surprise you. Not quite as fast as the F1, but has a very tube-like sound.

Many Sig 30 owners on audiocircle.com have compared the Signature 30 to some very pricey SETs, and report that the Sig 30 holds its own.

Having tried both amps, my personal analogy is that the F1 is a BMW and the Sig 30 is a Lexus. Both good. But different in their appeal. [And no air conditioner required with the Sig 30 ]
The Sig 30 is a great little amp without heat issues and need for a preamp or power cord. It definitely provides a SET sound which you don't get with the F1. I really believe that most K1000 lovers in an under $2000 amp budget would be happy with the Sig 30. It does a great job driving the Superhemps and Abbys.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home