Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp - Page 449

post #6721 of 6723

I checked the tube by swapping, but still the same left channel.

post #6722 of 6723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman31 View Post
 

I checked the tube by swapping, but still the same left channel.


Unless you noticed a burning smell or an unusual amount of heat coming from the amp, my guess is a dodgy solder connection somewhere that came loose.

post #6723 of 6723

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I've had long-term reliability problems with the Mosfet Max.  It's a great sounding amp but it has petered out on me twice now, both times because QB1R/L failed.  I biased it at the minimum recommended setting but it still got quite hot, so I thought maybe I might solve the problem by re-casing it and maybe adding a fan.  I couldn't find a case I liked, however, so instead I replaced the top of the existing case with a bit of expanded metal cut from an old file holder and made heat sinks for QB1R/L out of sheet aluminum, and glued them on using JBWeld.  It still gets pretty warm in there (50-55º, and the QB1 sinks approach 60º) but now the heat can escape and it looks cool, too.

Original version:

 

New version:

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp