Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp - Page 156

post #2326 of 6591
Using 2SC3422/2SA1359 and ES's in CA7 with orange drops in CA8, my HD580s will reverberate at 12 o clock with bass. Its like someone is blowing in my ears. The MAX is not short on bass, that's for sure.

My next MAX, which will be a BG build is on hold for the holidays, but for now, this current build serves me well and is extrememly fun.
post #2327 of 6591
woohoo. I got a whole bunch of parts to start my next MAX with

I'm going to move my BG's over to it and use 1.5" sinks. I should have some of the Russian caps soon too to try. I'll be comparing them with the vit Q's I've obtained and am yet to try, while I'm at it. I've got a set of ES's that Tom sent me to stick into my first max (what was the verdict with the Gen IIs with these, if any?). I've got some PRP resistors to outfit most significant positions too, which I hope will prove their worth though they do at least look good . I'll probably use some cheap wood for the case again too since it actually looks kinda cool (I'll eventually update my pics). I'll probably extrude the heat sinks kind of like vixr style. fortunately my caps are still short enough though since I doubt I could cut that clean (rspct, vixr). got some knobs while I'm at it too.. still need more knobs. I still need to get a pot and to make some new cables. need more wire too I guess. I'm really taking my time with this one though, since, well.. I've just got less of it lately ;/ so no pot.. not wired. yet.

edit: Thankfully, I also have a bunch of BJT pairs I'll still try out
post #2328 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruZZ.il View Post
<snip>I've got a set of ES's that Tom sent me to stick into my first max (what was the verdict with the Gen IIs with these, if any?).
I posted up there in one of my recent posts, but I've been posting books lately so maybe they're hard to read.

The GEN II's will cut some of the bass and falsely exaggerate the highs (IMHO). The K42's are the thing to use - ES's or Black Gates. Since KZ's are in the same family as ES's, then I bet they work with those, too.

I still use the Wimas in CA8, except with BG's - I let the CA2 caps stand alone in that case. I wasn't even going to add any bypasses on CA7 with BG's, but the K42 actually helps clear up some of the BG congestion.

Quote:
I've got some PRP resistors to outfit most significant positions too, which I hope will prove their worth though they do at least look good .
I've used them on a couple of MAXes already and can't tell a difference with the V-D's - but they sure look better than that ugly brown.
post #2329 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruZZ.il View Post
woohoo. I got a whole bunch of parts to start my next MAX with

I'm going to move my BG's over to it and use 1.5" sinks. I should have some of the Russian caps soon too to try. I'll be comparing them with the vit Q's I've obtained and am yet to try, while I'm at it. I've got a set of ES's that Tom sent me to stick into my first max (what was the verdict with the Gen IIs with these, if any?). I've got some PRP resistors to outfit most significant positions too, which I hope will prove their worth though they do at least look good . I'll probably use some cheap wood for the case again too since it actually looks kinda cool (I'll eventually update my pics). I'll probably extrude the heat sinks kind of like vixr style. fortunately my caps are still short enough though since I doubt I could cut that clean (rspct, vixr). got some knobs while I'm at it too.. still need more knobs. I still need to get a pot and to make some new cables. need more wire too I guess. I'm really taking my time with this one though, since, well.. I've just got less of it lately ;/ so no pot.. not wired. yet.

edit: Thankfully, I also have a bunch of BJT pairs I'll still try out
Sounds good, I will be interested in the new boards when they become available, to get my second Max started.
post #2330 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegger View Post
no worries tomb i do understand what you are saying better safe than sorry.

um anyone want to swap some 470 muse ukz for some 1000-1800 ones? or can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get em in the uk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
Thanks, Televator. Yes, as mentioned previously, the KZ's are probably different. I'm actually referring to the typical little 470uf power caps such as FM's, FC's, UPW's, etc., when I say perhaps not as big as they should be on the MAX.
so in case you (or anyone else) are still confused, you should be fine with 470uf at the CA4, CA5, and CA7 positions if they're Muse KZ's, assuming you still have the spec'd 1000uf for CA2 and CR1A/B/C/D, which you do if you're using JRossel's Glass Jar kit

from tomb's post #2311:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
Couple of things:
1. It's possible that the Sequoia KZ's are enough in the CA4/CA5 positions. That recommendation is really for those who go and buy 470uf UPW's, FM's or FC's. I would say that ES's are probably not optimum in those positions, either - because they're bipolar. That doesn't meet the intent of those caps, which is to preserve the voltage difference between V+ and Gnd and prevent any possible coupling. However, the KZ's may be OK because so much of their frequency response is "tuned" for the audio band. I haven't tested them personally, so I don't really know this, however.

Strictly speaking, the difference between the price of a 470uf KZ and an 1800uf is about 40cents. From a capacitance standpoint, that's no comparison - and "audio quality" is not really the purpose - "power quality" is. Ultimately however, it all becomes signal, so that's why I give the disclaimer - I just don't know.
post #2331 of 6591
For those who are considering a balanced MH Max, be aware that the balanced amp will have an effective gain that 2x higher than the single ended version. As a result, the volume controle range will be more limited comparing to single ended version.

In this build, the gain is determined by the used tube and thus fixed. Even when the 12FK6 with a gain of ~5x is used (assuming with 300 Ω headphone), the effective gain is still 10x !!!

One might implement a level converter which allows pre-attenuation of -6dB, -12dB or -18dB to decrease (lowering) the input signal level a bit. By doing this way the volume controle range can be enlarge. However from audio viewpoint, this is a not a neat (desired) solution.

I am happy with the sound of the balanced version I have built... but, the volume controle range is quite limited as I described here.
post #2332 of 6591
ferrari, have u tried using some Kiwames or other high quality output resistors? (at RB14 for those who don't know) Or a higher R pot? I'm too lazy to look up the exact links, but both have been discussed in the last few pages of the thread
post #2333 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
For those who are considering a balanced MH Max, be aware that the balanced amp will have an effective gain that 2x higher than the single ended version. As a result, the volume controle range will be more limited comparing to single ended version.
Precisely why I built balanced - my original Max simply did not have enough output, and I have stocked up very well on 12fk6. The output resistors are also an option, if needed.
post #2334 of 6591
finally got underway and this is how far i have got



then ran out of solder!!!!!
anyone got any leaded eutectic in the uk i have asked this before i know but now im desperate! think i am just gona have to go lead free.
post #2335 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 View Post
Precisely why I built balanced - my original Max simply did not have enough output, and I have stocked up very well on 12fk6. The output resistors are also an option, if needed.
Yes, I regularly listen to 12AE6's and KSC75's with an Alien DAC as source. I get to 9 o'clock or thereabouts for normal listening and it's acceptable - close to 12 o'clock for Senns.

The 12FK6 is half the gain of the 12AE6's (7 vs. 14). So, if you substitute one of those in a balanced version, the volume control should be similar to the above. I'm only guessing of course, but I don't think it should deter anyone from building a balanced version if they want one.
EDIT #2: That's with jumpering the output resistor positions, by the way.


EDIT: Lookin' good, Smegger!!
post #2336 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegger View Post
think i am just gona have to go lead free.
NOOOOO resist the Dark Side!!!

some head-fier in the UK has to have been stockpiling REAL solder...one o u Brits wanna jump in here & help him plz?
post #2337 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 View Post
Precisely why I built balanced - my original Max simply did not have enough output, and I have stocked up very well on 12fk6. The output resistors are also an option, if needed.
Hope all is working out well for your balanced Max!
post #2338 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphead View Post
Hope all is working out well for your balanced Max!
Amp sections are fine - troubleshooting the S/PDIF receiver for the DAC... getting closer... I think / hope / have no freaking idea...
post #2339 of 6591
please im drunk hit me with eutictic solder
post #2340 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegger View Post
please im drunk hit me with eutictic solder
HAHHH Yessss I can def identify w/that. Sorry dude, I'd send you some at cost if I had more than one spool, plus it'd take awhile to get there. Maybe post a new thread in the DIY section asking ppl from the UK if they could help you out?

EDIT: resist the urge to work on your MAX when you come home by yourself drunk and want to do something. Soldering + alcohol = costly ****-ups you'll regret in the morning...trust me, I've done it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp