Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp - Page 2

post #16 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
Sure, I use an LM338. .
The problem with the LM317 is it can resonate in the audio band. If you go to the trouble of a discrete buffer it should have a discrete PS, the Millett is especially susceptible to PS quality with the single rail and the argument could be made that you should start with the power supply first. Surely there is a hole on the board where the external regulated DC could be connected?
post #17 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
The problem with the LM317 is it can resonate in the audio band.
Please explain. amb was recently asked if he thought the sigma11 would offer any sort of real world performance benefit over the STEPS with the Millett and his answer was as follows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb
If you're referring to RMAA results, I doubt that the change from STEPS to σ11 would make any significant difference, especially in the Millett Hybrid where the amp's limitations still dominate.
For the full context of this discussion please see this thread.

Quote:
Surely there is a hole on the board where the external regulated DC could be connected?
As far as I understand it yes, there's a fairly simple way to tap whatever power supply you'd like into the board and bypass the on-board PS.
post #18 of 6591
I think he is refering to the distortion from the tube making any influence from the power supply hard to measure. Take note that he built a S22 for his Millett. There may be no benefit, but the reviews are that the max is clearer which I am guessing would mean it is more likely to benefit from the S22. The other thing to consider is a filtered power entry module with a choke and capacitors on the AC side.
post #19 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I think he is refering to the distortion from the tube making any influence from the power supply hard to measure. Take note that he built a S22 for his Millett. There may be no benefit, but the reviews are that the max is clearer which I am guessing would mean it is more likely to benefit from the S22. The other thing to consider is a filtered power entry module with a choke and capacitors on the AC side.
Regal, this is not a valid comparison. The Millett is not even Amb's design. His M3 has depended on a STEPS or a TREAD from the beginning. Don't you think he wanted to design his own product for his own amps (Sigma11)? Nate has given you Amb's own answer regarding the Millett, yet you persist. The filtering you mention has next to no benefit when the distance imposed by a walwart is factored in. Here's a question: what did Amb use as a power supply for the CKKIII?

The Max is a total product. I suggest you build one if you are interested - then see if you want to give up half the board in the interests of bringing an EMF source closer to the tubes.
post #20 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
Regal, this is not a valid comparison. The Millett is not even Amb's design. His M3 has depended on a STEPS or a TREAD from the beginning. Don't you think he wanted to design his own product for his own amps (Sigma11)? Nate has given you Amb's own answer regarding the Millett, yet you persist. The filtering you mention has next to no benefit when the distance imposed by a walwart is factored in. Here's a question: what did Amb use as a power supply for the CKKIII?

The Max is a total product. I suggest you build one if you are interested - then see if you want to give up half the board in the interests of bringing an EMF source closer to the tubes.
I see nothing wrong with what Regal is suggesting. This is DIY. Using a Sigma in close proximity should not be a issue at all as the transformer is not located on the PCB as in the STEPS. On top of that, one can still use the recommended wallwart if needed thus ignoring the issue of EMF. As for the filtering, whether it benefits you or not will depend on your line noise but a simple wallwart without it will definitely be at an disadvantage in the real world.
post #21 of 6591
Let's see what all this hype is about. I think I'll build one to compare against real tube amps and high end SS amps. Just to see if the hype is justified.
post #22 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
Let's see what all this hype is about. I think I'll build one to compare against real tube amps and high end SS amps. Just to see if the hype is justified.
Lets! I've got the last version of the Millett with a STEPS, and I'm planning on building this after this final prototype is... um... prototyped. I'm going to compare it to my old one, and I'll be sure to post pics and impressions. This will probably be a month or so though.
post #23 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrecito View Post
I see nothing wrong with what Regal is suggesting. This is DIY. Using a Sigma in close proximity should not be a issue at all as the transformer is not located on the PCB as in the STEPS. On top of that, one can still use the recommended wallwart if needed thus ignoring the issue of EMF. As for the filtering, whether it benefits you or not will depend on your line noise but a simple wallwart without it will definitely be at an disadvantage in the real world.
I agree with what you say in principle - except the filtering part - if a Sigma11 is built without an onboard xfmr. However, "This is DIY" is justifying trashing at least 1/3 of the Max's board when up until a few weeks ago, the STEPS was the best thing going for any PS, anywhere.

Both of yours and Regal's statements are made without the benefit of testing, or without the benefit of building either one in combination with the Max. You are also both ignoring Amb's own canonical testing of the Millett Hybrid, his own design goals for the Sigma power supplies, and ultimately, his own statement that it won't make a difference on the Millett.

By suggesting this, you are implying that a STEPS-like circuit is not even worthy. Perhaps you also aren't considering the ultimate consequence of this line of discussion: you are setting Amb's Sigma11 design directly against Tangent's STEPS design. That is decidedly not cool in DIY, contrary to what you suggest.
post #24 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
Let's see what all this hype is about. I think I'll build one to compare against real tube amps and high end SS amps. Just to see if the hype is justified.
I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, considering that it's total build cost should come in under $200. Although I have no idea what you're talking about referring to "hype". Tomb is excited about the project because he's played a big role in pulling it all together but I don't see any hype.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again cotdt, your posts have a way of coming across in a very condescending way whether you intend them to or not. Using terms like "real tube amps" doesn't help.

I'll never claim that any version of Pete's hybrid regardless of implementation will be the end all in amplification. But for whatever reason it seems to garner and unfair amount of immediate dismissal by folks around here as a giant compromise that can't do anything well either. I'd wager few of the folks making claims like this have ever heard one...
post #25 of 6591
and im excited about it because i like the millett's sound! not like anyone cares though...hope i can get boards real soon...
post #26 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by koike View Post
and im excited about it because i like the millett's sound! not like anyone cares though...hope i can get boards real soon...
I care, koike - and I hope we can get the boards to you soon.

Many thanks for the kind comments, Nate.
post #27 of 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by koike View Post
and im excited about it because i like the millett's sound! not like anyone cares though...hope i can get boards real soon...
Actually I care a great deal that you're excited! The only reason most of us (like tomb, cetoole, amb, tangent, etc) do what we do is because it's FUN. The day it stops being so is the day I'll be done.
post #28 of 6591
Well it doesn't look exciting for my bank account...
post #29 of 6591
w00t. im gonna get me 5 boards haha!
im 'taking lessons' from a local amp builder.
hope i can build one of my own one day
post #30 of 6591
How does one go about getting a board?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp