Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Yes - Relayer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yes - Relayer

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Anyone else enjoying the hell out of this album? Recently picked it up and glad I did!
post #2 of 14

Relayer rocks!

I absolutely love Relayer, probably one of my favorite Yes albums. Definitely an album worth listening to over and over. It gets better the more you listen! Good choice!
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks! You're not kidding, I've listened to this album a few times already! Just picked up Close to the Edge today, hope it's good!
post #4 of 14
Relayer is very good, but Close To The Edge is still my favorite.
post #5 of 14
I agree, Relayer & Close to The Edge are great albums. I highly recommend The Yes Album and Fragile as well...
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
Anyone else enjoying the hell out of this album?
I do I do!

LOL
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
Anyone else enjoying the hell out of this album? Recently picked it up and glad I did!
Gosh ... I was really into that album when I was 16 and worked at the Bakewell Pudding Shop that summer ...oh when was it ..1976 or '77!

But yeah, you're right it was good then and it'll still be good now. A couple or more years ago when Steve Howe was doing a solo acoustic guitar thing in Aberdeen I shouted out "..do Gates of Delirium for us Steve!" and he said, "yeah!".
post #8 of 14
My favorite Yes album!
I think it's one of their most consistent, varied and interesting albums.

And "Gates Of Delirium" is one of their most powerful, aggressive, experimental and beautiful songs.
"Awaken" would be a close second to me if not for the somewhat hokey lyrics (by Mr. Hokey himself, hehe).

"Soundchaser" is also one of their most unconventional compositions and "To Be Over" one of their prettiest... still, "Gates" alone is worth the price of admission!

Close To The Edge is also very good and if you don't have it, pick up Tales Of Topographic Oceans.

It's not one of their best albums but strangely has some of their best ideas. The problem with that album is that it's made up of four 20 minute tracks. The 1st track to me is perfect as is (and is one of their best) but the other 3 tracks could EASILY have been improved by being trimmed down to 10 or 12 minutes each.

There's just a lot of filler and repetition but within each song there is some really terrific playing and writing. There is also a live version of the last track on an album called "Yessongs" which sounds better than the album track due to being at a slightly faster tempo and just sounding more energetic overall (this album also has a great live version of "Gates Of Delirium").
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Cool! I am really enjoying Close to the Edge as well! Topographic Oceans will be my next cd purchase, I was about to ask how that album was too, thanks for the info, I'll give it a try and see how I like it.
post #10 of 14
Just remember to be patient with Topographic... it may not appeal to you right away but after a few listens you'll probably appreciate it.

Like I said, it isn't their best but it probably could have been with some heavy editing. Maybe the producer didn't have the nerve to say, "Ok guys, this is a bit much, let's keep this musical AND cohesive", hehe).
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer71 View Post
There is also a live version of the last track ("Ritual") on an album called "Yessongs" which sounds better than the album track due to being at a slightly faster tempo and just sounding more energetic overall (this album also has a great live version of "Gates Of Delirium").

The live album with "Ritual" and "Gates" is 'Yesshows,' which was recorded in the 1976-79 period. 'Yessongs,' recorded during the 'Close To The Edge' tour/tours, contains live versions of virtually everything from 'The Yes Album,' 'Fragile' and 'CTTE.'
post #12 of 14
I bought the 35th anniversary collection today, just because it was cheap and i kept seeing Yes's name popping up here as a reference band.... so i thought i'd give it a go.... leave that one with me ... might be a while cos i am not sure what to make of it yet
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer71 View Post
My favorite Yes album!
I think it's one of their most consistent, varied and interesting albums.

And "Gates Of Delirium" is one of their most powerful, aggressive, experimental and beautiful songs.
"Awaken" would be a close second to me if not for the somewhat hokey lyrics (by Mr. Hokey himself, hehe).

"Soundchaser" is also one of their most unconventional compositions and "To Be Over" one of their prettiest... still, "Gates" alone is worth the price of admission!

Close To The Edge is also very good and if you don't have it, pick up Tales Of Topographic Oceans.

It's not one of their best albums but strangely has some of their best ideas. The problem with that album is that it's made up of four 20 minute tracks. The 1st track to me is perfect as is (and is one of their best) but the other 3 tracks could EASILY have been improved by being trimmed down to 10 or 12 minutes each.

There's just a lot of filler and repetition but within each song there is some really terrific playing and writing. There is also a live version of the last track on an album called "Yessongs" which sounds better than the album track due to being at a slightly faster tempo and just sounding more energetic overall (this album also has a great live version of "Gates Of Delirium").
soundchaser is chris squire's masterwork on bass.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-the-rave View Post
The live album with "Ritual" and "Gates" is 'Yesshows,' which was recorded in the 1976-79 period. 'Yessongs,' recorded during the 'Close To The Edge' tour/tours, contains live versions of virtually everything from 'The Yes Album,' 'Fragile' and 'CTTE.'
Thanks! Always got those 2 mixed up!
"Yessongs" is pretty good too, haven't heard that in ages, will have to dig the CD up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Yes - Relayer