Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Initial HD 580 Impressions vs. HD 650
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Initial HD 580 Impressions vs. HD 650 - Page 3

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 View Post
Well, Headroom seems to favor crazyfrenchman.
Actually, the graph shows the HD580 has more a bass hump in comparison to the rest of the frequency. HD650 also has a cleaner more natural midrange and a smoother more extended treble. The differences can be subtle to overwhelming depending on the individual.
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhkg11 View Post
Well, Headroom seems to favor crazyfrenchman.

According to this graph, the HD650 has much better deep-bass extension, but around the same amount of mid and upper bass.
post #33 of 53
What is this hobby? Spending unlimited amount of cash to get the headphone that sounds 2 % better or just enjoying music with a headphone that suits you .

It is so easy to get speed blind.

I ran my DT 770 for years after getting tired of really cheap headphones that started to distort while not even being a year old.

Got very happy with the DT 770 PRO but was a bit dumb and going over here. Well not dumb I wanted a new toy so tried the A900... Now that didn´t do it for me was equal to the Dt 770 PRO overall and didn´t make sense to keep both so sold it for a little loss...

Anyway I then went for the end all be all headphone my Ultrasone Proline 750. Priced around the same as the Senn HD 650 and oboy was it an upgrade. They sound totally awesome. But fact is I just recently decided to try my AKG 240P on my Heed Canamp and though they do not sound as clean, have as good upper and lower extension and not the soundstage of my Proline 750 it´s questionable if it is enough to justify twice the pricetag... They still sounds awesome!

I am quite confident you get at least 90 % of the sound quality with the 580 versus the 650 if you ever could measure such a thing... What you need is rather a headphone that suits you then to pay extra for a headphone with that little bit of cleaner sound and such...

I wonder how many here is so obsessed with getting perfect sound they spend more time burning money, burning new headphones, burning amps in and mod them then to just enjoy the music?

If that is your hobby then it´s great just so it isn´t as a quest to search for something that just isn´t there

I have no problem doing that on my DT 770 or AKG 240s despite they not matching my Proline 750s to the finishing line. But at least I tried it a bit and didn´t spend to much money before withdrawing from the race.

Guess my Proline 750 succeeded lol.

Maybe we should have a disclaimer on this forum to help newbies when they read about the huge differences I get when buying this premium headphone over this budget headphone that "sounds like crap" in comparison
post #34 of 53
Quote:
The 580s are nice, but the 650s properly amped are leagues above.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
What is this hobby? Spending unlimited amount of cash to get the headphone that sounds 2 % better or just enjoying music with a headphone that suits you .

It is so easy to get speed blind.

I ran my DT 770 for years after getting tired of really cheap headphones that started to distort while not even being a year old.

Got very happy with the DT 770 PRO but was a bit dumb and going over here. Well not dumb I wanted a new toy so tried the A900... Now that didn´t do it for me was equal to the Dt 770 PRO overall and didn´t make sense to keep both so sold it for a little loss...

Anyway I then went for the end all be all headphone my Ultrasone Proline 750. Priced around the same as the Senn HD 650 and oboy was it an upgrade. They sound totally awesome. But fact is I just recently decided to try my AKG 240P on my Heed Canamp and though they do not sound as clean, have as good upper and lower extension and not the soundstage of my Proline 750 it´s questionable if it is enough to justify twice the pricetag... They still sounds awesome!

I am quite confident you get at least 90 % of the sound quality with the 580 versus the 650 if you ever could measure such a thing... What you need is rather a headphone that suits you then to pay extra for a headphone with that little bit of cleaner sound and such...

I wonder how many here is so obsessed with getting perfect sound they spend more time burning money, burning new headphones, burning amps in and mod them then to just enjoy the music?

If that is your hobby then it´s great just so it isn´t as a quest to search for something that just isn´t there

I have no problem doing that on my DT 770 or AKG 240s despite they not matching my Proline 750s to the finishing line. But at least I tried it a bit and didn´t spend to much money before withdrawing from the race.

Guess my Proline 750 succeeded lol.

Maybe we should have a disclaimer on this forum to help newbies when they read about the huge differences I get when buying this premium headphone over this budget headphone that "sounds like crap" in comparison
Thank you for that. The HD 580 is going to be my first real headphone and im also hoping it will be my last. If the sound quality isnt any better than my im716, just more comfortable and open, i would still be happy. There is no way that i would spend money on something like an HD 650, and certainly not the k1000 or a gs 1000.

I hope the HD 580 is the end of the line for me in this whole head-fi thing. My AV710 came DOA so I need to replace that(about $25), I also need to spend about $20 building DUI ICs, extension cables and a p-s cable. Im going to buy the HD 650 cable for $10 and maybe get the grilles depending on how much they cost(wont spend more than $10 max). I also want to buy a Sony MDRv150 to get a headband for my KSC 75s($13).

The only major purchases I might make are for a Grado SR60 just to get the grado sig in my collection and a DIY tube amp. I want to build the tube amp more for just the fun of it rather than the sound quality improvement. Both of these should be way into the future though. Depending on how my KSC 75s sound with the headband, I probably wont even need the sr60.
post #36 of 53

CAN SOMEONE POST A HEADROOM GRAPH FOR THE 600 AS WELL?

Hi guys,
The Headroom overlapping frequency response graph for the HD580 vs the HD650 was very neat and interesting indeed!
Can someone post a Headroom overlapping frequency response graph that ALSO INCLUDES the HD600 as well [580/600/650]?
If not, can someone post overlapping graphs of the 600/580 or 600/650?
That would be great!
Thanks alot.
post #37 of 53
Thread Starter 
You can do it yourself with up to four cans:

http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...build-a-graph/

Here are the 580, 600, 650 and the 595 for fun:



GAD
post #38 of 53
You can do it yourself. THey hae a list of almost all headphones they sell. They also have Bose and iBUds just for good measure

Here it is though http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...are+Headphones

Edit: arrgh. Slow on the trigger.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcoheda View Post
x2. The 580s are nice, but the 650s properly amped are leagues above.
Shhhhh.. Don't say that.. Let them believe that the 580s are 90% of the 650's.. It will save them tons of money..
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Thank you for that. The HD 580 is going to be my first real headphone and im also hoping it will be my last. If the sound quality isnt any better than my im716, just more comfortable and open, i would still be happy. There is no way that i would spend money on something like an HD 650, and certainly not the k1000 or a gs 1000.

I hope the HD 580 is the end of the line for me in this whole head-fi thing. My AV710 came DOA so I need to replace that(about $25), I also need to spend about $20 building DUI ICs, extension cables and a p-s cable. Im going to buy the HD 650 cable for $10 and maybe get the grilles depending on how much they cost(wont spend more than $10 max). I also want to buy a Sony MDRv150 to get a headband for my KSC 75s($13).

The only major purchases I might make are for a Grado SR60 just to get the grado sig in my collection and a DIY tube amp. I want to build the tube amp more for just the fun of it rather than the sound quality improvement. Both of these should be way into the future though. Depending on how my KSC 75s sound with the headband, I probably wont even need the sr60.
& I said, I'd never spend over 300 on a external DAC.. I bought a used DAC1 for 860.00.. I also told myself I'd never spending 600 plus for an amp.. Now I'm considering dropping 1,200-1,700 for a balanced amp.. When the audio bug bites, it bites hard..
post #41 of 53
No, I generally stop once I reach a point of diminishing returns.

Ive got everything that I want

IM716- For isolation and neutrality
HD 580 - For openness, comfort and sound stage
KSC75 - For rockin out

I just dont see what use a 650 would be, especially considering that im not about to get a source that costs more than my computer.

Besides, audio is just one of my hobbies. Im more interested in computers so once I get my head-fi setup to an acceptable level im going to go back to spending money on my computers.
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
There is no way that i would spend money on something like an HD 650, and certainly not the k1000 or a gs 1000.
Yes, they alll say that and then one day you wake up and have two
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Yes, they alll say that and then one day you wake up and have two
It would be pretty cool to wake up one day and find that I have over $2000 worth of headphones hanging around somewhere. I certainly dont plan on paying for them though
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
No, I generally stop once I reach a point of diminishing returns.

Ive got everything that I want

IM716- For isolation and neutrality
HD 580 - For openness, comfort and sound stage
KSC75 - For rockin out

I just dont see what use a 650 would be, especially considering that im not about to get a source that costs more than my computer.

Besides, audio is just one of my hobbies. Im more interested in computers so once I get my head-fi setup to an acceptable level im going to go back to spending money on my computers.
Diminishing returns? Not so quick.. I'm sure many would agree paying 200.00 more for the 650 is worth it.. But if you arent going to get a good amp for the 650, then yes, I'd stick with the 580's..
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
It would be pretty cool to wake up one day and find that I have over $2000 worth of headphones hanging around somewhere. I certainly dont plan on paying for them though
Well it wasn't that long ago that I only had the HD580 and some sony buds, now I'm financially ruined hehe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Initial HD 580 Impressions vs. HD 650