Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG-K1000 What to Look For/What to Avoid
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG-K1000 What to Look For/What to Avoid

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I am considering looking for a set of AKG-1000s. Can anyone advise me what to look for/what to avoid in such quest? For example, I have heard that some K-1000s have less bass than other K-1000s. How do you tell what version you are dealing with? I am interested in this, and all the other questions I don't know enough to ask.

Thanks
post #2 of 20
Humanflyz just wrote in the ""Price DEFINITELY a factor" amp for AKG K1000" thread in the Amp-section:

"Just want to throw in some of my thoughts on the variance within the K1000s (coming from a guy who absolutely loves the K1000s):

At the end of the day, it is still a K1000. Meaning, those who thinks that the K1000s are too bass-shy will still think that they are too bass-shy. Any variance within the production run is very unlikely going to change the opinions of those who do not like the K1000s to begin with. Thus, the variances among K1000s will really only matter to those who are already set on building a K1000-rig.

So if anyone is on the fence about getting the K1000s because of this supposed variance in production, my advice to you is this: forget all of it. Just listen to it first, if you like what you hear, then that's the end of the story. If you don't like it, this variance will not do anything to change your mind, because I can pretty much guarantee you that this difference won't be of any relevance if you don't like what you heard with the K1000s."

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...9&postcount=87
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snejk View Post

At the end of the day, it is still a K1000. Meaning, those who thinks that the K1000s are too bass-shy will still think that they are too bass-shy. Any variance within the production run is very unlikely going to change the opinions of those who do not like the K1000s to begin with. Thus, the variances among K1000s will really only matter to those who are already set on building a K1000-rig.

So if anyone is on the fence about getting the K1000s because of this supposed variance in production, my advice to you is this: forget all of it. Just listen to it first, if you like what you hear, then that's the end of the story. If you don't like it, this variance will not do anything to change your mind, because I can pretty much guarantee you that this difference won't be of any relevance if you don't like what you heard with the K1000s."
Personaly i wouldnt touch the k1000 if it comes off the production with
specifications altered, basicly if there's bass variation, here we have
a major problem cause bass instability would create tonal instability across
the whole audio bandwidth ,with loudspeakers you can overlook some bass
but with headphones where you have more focus on the tone this instability
of balance would colorate the final sound, if you really want to convince
people of the k1000 performance show us some graphs of its frequency
response.
post #4 of 20
I do not know about the graphs that much and was never interested. What I do is buy>listen>stay or go, thats it. Maybe it is to simple, but works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERTECH View Post
Personaly i wouldnt touch the k1000 if it comes off the production with
specifications altered, basicly if there's bass variation, here we have
a major problem cause bass instability would create tonal instability across
the whole audio bandwidth ,with loudspeakers you can overlook some bass
but with headphones where you have more focus on the tone this instability
of balance would colorate the final sound, if you really want to convince
people of the k1000 performance show us some graphs of its frequency
response.
post #5 of 20
Just buy the K1000 and enjoy it. I have heard many pairs in addition to the two that I own and the variations between them are, at best, miniscule. I realize that it is in the nature of an 'audiophile' to find every nit to pick, but in the end it's all about the enjoyment of music, not necessarily the equipment itself.

This is just my opinion...
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERTECH View Post
Personaly i wouldnt touch the k1000 if it comes off the production with
specifications altered, basicly if there's bass variation, here we have
a major problem cause bass instability would create tonal instability across
the whole audio bandwidth ,with loudspeakers you can overlook some bass
but with headphones where you have more focus on the tone this instability
of balance would colorate the final sound, if you really want to convince
people of the k1000 performance show us some graphs of its frequency
response.
WOW!
What's bass instability?
How can you have more focus on the tone?
Why would you want to convice people of k1000's performance?
post #7 of 20

AKG k-1000

The best starting place to educate yourself on the AKG K1000 is here http://homepage.mac.com/henrietta2/FileSharing11.html, where you can read the "white paper" that was put out by AKG about the K1000.

You'll see a freqeuncy response graphic if you go through the PDF document. It shows the roll off that begins at about 50 khz on all AKG k1000.

I for one wouldn't worry about serial numbers. And I would take individual reports of bass variance with a huge grain of salt. The k1000 is very amplifier sensitive, and there is a lot of subjective reaction to the remarkable high fidelity of the K1000.

To summarize: if the k1000 is in proper working condition and properly amplified you should hear what all the fuss is about.
post #8 of 20
I would not worry about the model, but rather about the condition of the phones, as with any other second hand purchase.

Also, be careful of manufacturers advertising headphone amps that can drive the K1000. The best sound is heard using a power amp.
post #9 of 20
There is no real way to tell if your K1000s is the "supposedly" bassier one. My advice is just go find a pair that is in good working condition, because if you don't like that sound, then finding any other pair of K1000s won't change your mind.

Personally I find the "alleged" differences in K1000s to be hugely over-stated. Even if you get the "bassier" version, it's still no L3000 or PS-1. Your time is better spent on researching what amps and sources to get, because those will make a FAR FAR bigger difference in how the K1000s sound.
post #10 of 20
I only have a few days experience with the k1k but have tried it with a tamp, a friend's SS integrated amp and another friend's tube power amp. More satisfying bass(denser,fuller) on the tube amp than the other 2 non tube amps.
Hope to hear it with one day with a set amp (845,300b,2a3 or 45). I'll bet any combo will be something special.
post #11 of 20
I have both a low serial and a highish serial. The low serial is a bit warmer than the high serial. But as humanflyz says, the difference is minuscule. I would suggest you concentrate on feeding the K1000 the best amplification and source you can afford.
post #12 of 20
We don't have a whole lot of choice here. It's not like you can walk into Best Buy where they have dozens Black & tan boxes with some labeled bass and some labeled air. This is a species that has stopped increasing in size. Instead it is decreasing. Lost of guys are buying 2 or 3 pair. Not only that, you don't see them on the market a lot. My advice, buy it, first. Then make a decision.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
A lot of mention has come up about amps. I know that speaker amps are what is most common. I have the Singlepower Extreme Platinum HP amp that someone with K-1000s assured me is one of the few HP amps that can adequately power the K-1000. I am going on the assumption that this will work because the budget doesn't really include funds for a new amp--well maybe a vintage SS would be OK, but still an added hassle.

Regarding the bass issue, I thought I'd read somewhere that above a certain serial number (1000 or 10,000 ?) the bass was somewhat improved. I like good bass (and experience it with the Singlepower) but am not what I would consider a basshead. I'd just like to know as a reference point.

And thanks to everyone so far on the suggestions.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Also, be careful of manufacturers advertising headphone amps that can drive the K1000. The best sound is heard using a power amp.
If a headphone amplifier can drive the k1000 I dont see your point, why is
a speaker amplifier better?
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERTECH View Post
If a headphone amplifier can drive the k1000 I dont see your point, why is
a speaker amplifier better?
Let me make this very simple and unambiguous; there are very few, if any, headphones amps which can properly drive the K1000. The amplification requirements of a K1000 are closer to those of a loudspeaker than a headphone, thus speaker amps tend to work better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG-K1000 What to Look For/What to Avoid