Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware) - Page 3

post #31 of 562
between the jvc and the denon, which one would you recommend for somebody mainly listening to electronica and trance music?
post #32 of 562
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towert7 View Post
Nice review Skylab! Keep us posted to any changes you discover.


Also, from reading all of your comments, would it be fair to say the Denon D5000 is much closer to the skybeyers than that darthbeyers? That is what it appears like to me. Might make for an interesting comparison....


Cheers!
Yes, they are much closer to the Luke SkyBeyers in sound than the Darth Beyers. The D5000 and the SkyBeyers are quite similar, with the D5000's being just a touch more forward sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rino View Post
Skylab, which closed headphone do you think has the best sound isolation, ie. does not let outside sound in.
The best there is the unmodded DT770.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
how do they compare against the K701?
I actually would describe the D5000's sound as very very similar to a K701, but with more bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenithon View Post
Two more quick questions:

1. I believe it has good synergy with the MG Head OTL MkIII. Does it do better in OTL mode or in transformer mode?
2. how is its vocal performance? In particular, its musicality (as opposed to accuracy)?

Thanks,
X
I didn't try the D5000's with the ASL in OTL mode. SInce the Denon's require quite a bit to drive them, I didn't think this would work well.

Vocal performance is good, but what headphone I prefer varies by the recording. I like a more laid back sound in general, which is why I have always liked Darth beyers so much. On some recordings, the more forward mids of the Denon make the recording more fun to listen to. On others, I prefer listening on Darth Beyers or DT990's, where the mids are more laid back, which gives the music more depth and makes it a little sweeter. So it really does vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posse24 View Post
between the jvc and the denon, which one would you recommend for somebody mainly listening to electronica and trance music?
For Elctronica and Trance, the Denon. I'd prefer the JVC for Jazz or Classical, where I think the JVC's midrange coloration reduces some of the glare that brass instruments can have.

Thanks for all the nice comments folks!
post #33 of 562
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
OH MY GOD YOU LOOK NOTHING LIKE YOU DID IN MY DREAM!!
Yeah, this scared me too for a minute

Then when Cotdt pointed out the thread about it (which I had somehow missed) I was just LMAO
post #34 of 562
thanks for the answer Skylab
have you tried it with the Hornet? do you think the combination denon+aria would be a good one?
post #35 of 562
So, should I ask my folks to pick up the D5000 or the W5000 on their trip to Hong Kong tomorrow?
I _looove_ my HD650's. Sometimes I wish they were a liiiittle bit more forward, but overall I just love 'em. I was actually thinking of the K701 to complement my HD650's, but I've heard it can be a bit bass shy (and even though I'm not a bass-head, if there is bass present, I wanna hear it), so the fact that the D5000 apparently are similar to the K701, but with more bass sounds very promising.
post #36 of 562
Thanks again for the answers skylab. One more question which I've been pondering: does the fact that the drivers are close to the ear cause a) any discomfort, e.g. grado ear burning sensation; or b) the soundstage to feel cramped or boxed in and lacking any air?

Cheers,
X
post #37 of 562
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenithon View Post
Thanks again for the answers skylab. One more question which I've been pondering: does the fact that the drivers are close to the ear cause a) any discomfort, e.g. grado ear burning sensation; or b) the soundstage to feel cramped or boxed in and lacking any air?

Cheers,
X
I have no issues with (a), but I do think that the soundstage is a little small, smaller than my Beyer headphones. But the image specificity is so good it makes up for that some.
post #38 of 562
I'm still wondering is I should ask the folks to pick up the D5000 or the W5000. :/ I'm a total noob with woodies, but I'm curious cause I like what I've read about 'em.
post #39 of 562
Thanks once again! Do you think they would have fitment issues with smaller domes? I recall the W5000 used to have problems for smaller heads, especially earlier models (IIRC later models were slightly different with smaller headbands).
post #40 of 562
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenithon View Post
Thanks once again! Do you think they would have fitment issues with smaller domes? I recall the W5000 used to have problems for smaller heads, especially earlier models (IIRC later models were slightly different with smaller headbands).
No, I don't think that's an issue. The earpads are designed well to rest on the ear regardless of head size. I would say I have a medium sized head, but they were fine even on my 9 year old daughter's head.
post #41 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
No, I don't think that's an issue. The earpads are designed well to rest on the ear regardless of head size. I would say I have a medium sized head, but they were fine even on my 9 year old daughter's head.
Dude you are just a wealth of information. I vote you to be Head-Fi point man on all new highly anticipated, higher tier cans.
post #42 of 562
gz,man.553 bucks..XD
post #43 of 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpredator View Post
Dude you are just a wealth of information. I vote you to be Head-Fi point man on all new highly anticipated, higher tier cans.
Maybe we can get the manufacturers to send him their prototypes for testing. Rob will be our inside guy!
post #44 of 562
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior05 View Post
Maybe we can get the manufacturers to send him their prototypes for testing. Rob will be our inside guy!
Sounds like fun, but I doubt that they would...
post #45 of 562
Thanks. I guess. Sort of.
My wallet just gave up hope.
Not even screaming any more.
It is just softly moaning now.
Terminal I'm afraid.

Thanks.




New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware)