New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Futuresonics Atrio M5 - Page 3

post #31 of 2359
The PK1s and M5s are more similar than I thought they would be however...

I find the M5s to be smoother sounding - a bit more musical. They also extend deeper and have more of a bass slam than the PK1s. The M5s also offer more instrument separation and placement. The two are very different listening experiences due to the inherent isolation of the M5s and vice versa with the PK1s. If the PK1s were IEMs, I think the two would be very close in how they sound so deciding between the two is somewhat based on what you're looking for. But based on pure SQ - nod goes to the M5.
post #32 of 2359
As for the comparison to the K81DJs...

First, this comparison and my one with the PK1s were done with my iMod/Hornet combo. As for my K81DJs, I had a spare Headphile cable and recabled mine with them. The silver really made a difference and brought a level of refinement that was rather surprising. I also removed the extra pad.

With all of the above I find the two very close in just about all respects. I think this one really comes down to if you want IEMs vs headphones. And I must say I find the DJs extend a bit higher than the M5s. The mids might be a tad recessed with the DJs in comparison but it is really subtle. I haven't listened to my DJs in awhile and I was rather surprised by them when comparing them to the M5s which I've gone gah-gah over. But again - note the mods above and that does explain some things. Of course, isolation goes to the M5.

Conclusion? Toss up.
post #33 of 2359
How about a comparison to your DT990, RS-1, and/or DR150, just for fun?
post #34 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior05 View Post
The PK1s and M5s are more similar than I thought they would be however...

I find the M5s to be smoother sounding - a bit more musical. They also extend deeper and have more of a bass slam than the PK1s. The M5s also offer more instrument separation and placement. The two are very different listening experiences due to the inherent isolation of the M5s and vice versa with the PK1s. If the PK1s were IEMs, I think the two would be very close in how they sound so deciding between the two is somewhat based on what you're looking for. But based on pure SQ - nod goes to the M5.
Sorry if I'm asking a bit too much from you . I was about to pull the trigger on PK1 before I read your comments. Warrior05, could you elaborate a little more on the PK1 vs M5 comparison?

How do the highs and mids different between the two? I remember the PK2 has very nice mids.

Also, which one is more detailed? I'm somewhat a detail freak

I presume the PK1 sound a lot airier than the M5?

Last but not the least, some people said PK1 really needs an amp. Do you think the M5 is as dependent on an amp as the PK1?

Thanks a lot!
post #35 of 2359
You guys are killing me!

Peter - I do believe you are playing me since I like to do comparos! Uh... I do have to work you know! But I'll throw together some quick notes. Ah, the hardship.

Glac1er - I'll put together some more detailed notes. I just did a quick 2 song listen but let me give it a bit more time and I'll get back to you. I will say this, the PK1s certainly do respond to amping - much more so than the M5s.

It may not be till tonight but I'll be back!
post #36 of 2359
Future Sonics says this about the M5/M8 on their website:

"Outperforms any other similar professional product - at any price!"

Cool
post #37 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior05 View Post
Glac1er - I'll put together some more detailed notes. I just did a quick 2 song listen but let me give it a bit more time and I'll get back to you. I will say this, the PK1s certainly do respond to amping - much more so than the M5s.

It may not be till tonight but I'll be back!
Thanks , I'll be looking forward to it I'm looking for a portable solution to go complement my Etys and the M5 might be it.

I also liked the JBL 220, and I think it is a great product, before I found the PK2 to sound even better Thumbs up for the JBL design though.

And just based on your recollection, do you think the M5 outperform your E4? Thanks a bunch!!
post #38 of 2359
I did some further listening switching between my M5s and PK1s and I've come to this conclusion: The PK1s are constrained by their - to borrow a computer term - form factor. Meaning, I don't see how earbuds in their ultimate rendition (which very well could be the PK1s) can compete with IEMs when it comes down to subtleties of music. With the M5s I get more detail, nice decay, clarity and resolve that is a full step above the PK1s. And I think I get that because of how intimate of a listening environment IEMs offer.

The PK1s are simply wonderful earbuds but when talking pure SQ - the M5s win hands down. There is just so much more music with the M5s. And what I mean by "more" is, as mentioned above, I can hear subtleties that just get lost with the PK1s.

One thing that I discovered with the M5s that I found very impressive. I queued up one of my favorite classical pieces - Wagner's overture to Tannhauser and was amazed that the music was pretty natural sounding. Meaning that it was mostly in front of me rather than in my head. I would say I was maybe 5th row close. Not optimal listening position but for the price point of these IEMs, I was pretty darned impressed. Wonderful instrument placement and separation. I could hear the underlying bass notes that I couldn't with the PK1s. The violins sounded more natural and reached higher. Highs were much more clearly defined.

Hopefully, someone with other higher end IEMs will either get the M5s or at least try them and provide some perspective but I'm flat out impressed by these things.
post #39 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by glac1er View Post
And just based on your recollection, do you think the M5 outperform your E4? Thanks a bunch!!
Well, I wasn't a huge fan of the E4s. Yes, they offered loads of detail but I never found them to be very musical... very fun. The M5s I find to be more musical and I would pick them over the Shures everyday. Certainly tons more bass presence which I admittedly respond to. I don't call myself a basshead but I do prefer a slightly elevated bass presence as long as it is controlled, tight. No, the M5s don't offer the level of clarity and detail provided by the Shures but to me, that isn't priority one.

I got kind of curious with Shure's new model line. From what little I've heard it seems like they've become more musical while maintaining their well-known detail. But ever since the arrival of the M5s? I'm not all that curious anymore.
post #40 of 2359
warrior05, nice to read your impressions/comparisons. The M5's sounds interesting I wonder how the comparison would be if the PK1 was fitted with custom molds?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230870
If the amount of subtleties you talk about is mostly taken up a level with the M5's because of it's design? Or do you feel it's not solely that?
I just got a pair of PK1 on trial and I really like them. Really loveable buds I would say *earbud-smiley*
post #41 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
warrior05, nice to read your impressions/comparisons. The M5's sounds interesting I wonder how the comparison would be if the PK1 was fitted with custom molds?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230870
If the amount of subtleties you talk about is mostly taken up a level with the M5's because of it's design? Or do you feel it's not solely that?
I just got a pair of PK1 on trial and I really like them. Really loveable buds I would say *earbud-smiley*
Overall I would expect the M5s to still outshine the PK1s with custom molds but I would expect it to be a closer call. Of course that is a total guess on my part.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I may be able to test this. I've ordered a personal custom mold kit. The kit is marketed towards earbuds but I'm hoping I can make it work with the M5s. If not, then I'll make it for my PK1s and then I'll do another comparo between the two. I've pretty much decided that if this kit won't work for my M5s that I'm going to get an impression done by an audiologist and send it to Future Sonics for their SofterWear custom tip.
post #42 of 2359
wariror05, I just want to say thanks again for the M5 impressions. That really clear up most of the questions in my head . The M5 is looking good, though I really hope somebody can warp me to the head-fest right now so I can listen to them myself.

I can totally see a valid point when you say that IEM can make a very intimate sound (that's what I feel with my other IEMs too )

Now if warrior05 can buy the UM2 and sf5pro to compare them Atrio with
Seems like you will be the main head-fi endorser of this IEM Happy listening.
post #43 of 2359
These are superior to the PK1, but head-to-head with the K81DJ? Somehow the whole thing doesn't fit together to me and I can't correctly imagine the M5's performance.
post #44 of 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post
These are superior to the PK1, but head-to-head with the K81DJ? Somehow the whole thing doesn't fit together to me and I can't correctly imagine the M5's performance.
I was somewhat confused as well, but his K 81 DJ is recabled so I don't really know.
post #45 of 2359
Well folks I ended up ordering a pair. I figured I'd take the next logical step (after selling my V-MODA Vibe/JBL Reference 220) and see if I'm satisfied with a pair of earphones that are about $100 less expensive than the Westone UM2. I really hope the UM2 doesn't sound $100 better than these, as it seems to place it in a different league. Although, when they are officially released, the Atrio m5 IEMs are going to retail for $200, so it isn't too far off from the UM2's value.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: