Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP - Page 3

post #31 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesymphony View Post
Make sure you're using the 4.73b drivers. All sound should be coming out of the Alt. Out. (black jack), both KS and otherwise.
Weird. I did install with 4.73b and it wasn't working but I "updated" the drivers with 4.73b and now it works. Now I have a new problem. Any time after direct sound is used, the last sound played will continue to repeat over and over and kernel streaming can't be used. If I try to use kernel streaming in foobar I get the following error:

Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device
post #32 of 511
I am using 5.00b drivers, Normal 2ch out and your settings, KS in foobar works fine
post #33 of 511
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
I am using 5.00b drivers, Normal 2ch out and your settings, KS in foobar works fine
Are you using Windows XP? You're getting 44.1kHz KS audio from the Wolfson DAC (black Alt. Out. jack)?
post #34 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
I am using 5.00b drivers, Normal 2ch out and your settings, KS in foobar works fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesymphony View Post
Are you using Windows XP? You're getting 44.1kHz KS audio from the Wolfson DAC (black Alt. Out. jack)?
DOH!!! I knew it was to easy w/5.00b drivers! I thought I was plugged into the HQ Alt Out..but I wasn't.
post #35 of 511
Hi guys, small problem.
I followed this guide and am using foobar2000 with kernel streaming. However, all i can hear is white noise. Could it be to do with me installing 5.00 drivers first, uninstalling them, then installing the 4.73 ones? I've tried reinstalling and updating several times, no luck.
Also, on my av-710, the jack directly above the S/PDIF is labelled "back surr", rather than "alt. out", although it is labelled as "alt. out" in the manual...
And just to check, what position should the jumpers be in?
Cheers for any help...
pengoo
post #36 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengoo View Post
Hi guys, small problem.
I followed this guide and am using foobar2000 with kernel streaming. However, all i can hear is white noise. Could it be to do with me installing 5.00 drivers first, uninstalling them, then installing the 4.73 ones? I've tried reinstalling and updating several times, no luck.
Also, on my av-710, the jack directly above the S/PDIF is labelled "back surr", rather than "alt. out", although it is labelled as "alt. out" in the manual...
And just to check, what position should the jumpers be in?
Cheers for any help...
pengoo
I think I'm in the same boat. I have bitperfect through S/PDIF, but the Wolfson DAC is being resampled. Is it actually possible to get an output that is not resampled through the Wolfson DAC?
post #37 of 511
Based on the information on other sites sounds like the analog outs will always be resampled. Only the digital out is bitperfect.
post #38 of 511
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Based on the information on other sites sounds like the analog outs will always be resampled. Only the digital out is bitperfect.
The whole idea of this thread is to avoid the resampling process. What does "bit-perfect" mean in the context of analog sound, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengoo
I followed this guide and am using foobar2000 with kernel streaming. However, all i can hear is white noise. And just to check, what position should the jumpers be in?
Are you using Windows XP, and are you sure that you're plugged into the proper output? Hopefully this doesn't turn into a revision issue.

The jumpers should work in the stock positions. I've read about the jumper mod, but have heard conflicting reports about whether it actually improved the sound quality, so I haven't tried it.


Note that while there are two black jacks, you want the one next to the TOSlink output (#8 - far bottom in this picture).

You've said that your AV-710 uses that jack as Back Surround... Is there another jack that's labeled "Alt. Out"? If so, could you take a photo and post it?
post #39 of 511
Have I understood this correctly, these bit-perfect cards only work if an application has an option to switch to kernel streaming or Asio? If so is there any other way to get bit-perfrect audio into my receiver from Windows Media Center or am I out of luck?
post #40 of 511
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni_78 View Post
Have I understood this correctly, these bit-perfect cards only work if an application has an option to switch to kernel streaming or Asio? If so is there any other way to get bit-perfrect audio into my receiver from Windows Media Center or am I out of luck?
"Bit-perfect" is just a term that means "does not resample or mess with the signal." Usually it refers to techniques that circumvent the internal mixing in Windows. If you're asking if you need to use KS or ASIO to get audio to the receiver, the answer is no. All sound, including programs, applications, and sound effects should be digitally transferred to the receiver.

If you're truly concerned about the AV-710's digital output, it might be best to flash the card to other firmware (ex. Prodigy firmware) in order to use better drivers, which is discussed in several other threads.
post #41 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesymphony View Post
"Bit-perfect" is just a term that means "does not resample or mess with the signal." Usually it refers to techniques that circumvent the internal mixing in Windows. If you're asking if you need to use KS or ASIO to get audio to the receiver, the answer is no. All sound, including programs, applications, and sound effects should be digitally transferred to the receiver.

If you're truly concerned about the AV-710's digital output, it might be best to flash the card to other firmware (ex. Prodigy firmware) in order to use better drivers, which is discussed in several other threads.
I would like to get ability to play dts-wav files with Vista Media Center without kmixer touching those. (HD -> SPDIF->Yamaha RX-V659). But is that possible?
post #42 of 511
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure about that... I don't use the digital output, so I suppose that's a question for a different thread. Good question, though.
post #43 of 511
Yup, using XP.
This is exactly how all the jacks are labelled on the backplate of my av-710 (going down from top to bottom):
Pink - "MIC IN"
Blue - "LINE IN"
Green - "LINE OUT"
Black - "SURR OUT"
Yellow - "Cen/Bass"
Black - "Back Surr" <--- plugged into this one
S/PDIF Socket - "SPDIFTX"

So yeah, there isn't one labelled "Alt. Out", although the "Back Surr" is indeed labelled "Alt. Out" in the manual. I'll try to get a photo of the backplate.
I bought this soundcard used off ebay UK, since i'm in the UK and it doesn't seem you can get it easy in europe. Was going to try to get somebody in the USA to buy it new off newegg and ship it to me... but would've taken longer to get, and shipping costs become an issue. Could this be because it's a slightly different version for different region? Out of interest, I'll ask where the seller bought it from.

Googling "av-710 back surr" finds me http://secure.ncix.com/forumpost/ind...er=1&subpage=1 where it says
Quote:
If your sound is now coming over the jack labelled "rear surr" as explained above you know you're using the correct DAC
That guide does a load of other things differently, and i'm following your guide, its just an example of other people not having the second black socket labelled "alt. out".

I've also noticed that your guide mentions "2CH" and "2CH Hi-Sample Rate", but these are labelled as "2" and "Hi Sample Rate Digital Out" respectively for me.
Additionally, for me in Audio Deck, clicking on the "2" channel option, causes the sample rate on the right to change to 48. When i set this up, i clicked "2", selected S/PDIF Out Enable and PCM Only then changed the sample rate to Auto. It's just a bit strange that it changes to 48 if i click on it, even though it's already selected and is on Auto.
Pic of what my Audio Deck looks like - http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7...iodeck1ht4.jpg
post #44 of 511
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengoo View Post
Googling "av-710 back surr" finds me http://secure.ncix.com/forumpost/ind...er=1&subpage=1 where it says That guide does a load of other things differently, and i'm following your guide, its just an example of other people not having the second black socket labelled "alt. out".
That guide isn't much of a guide... Basically, it's teaching people how to use the Wolfson DAC instead of the normal front-channel VIA DAC. I guess that was written back when fewer people knew that the AV-710 had a better DAC that could be used for the front channels. Using that guide, you'd be forced to resample to 96,000 Hz in Foobar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengoo
I've also noticed that your guide mentions "2CH" and "2CH Hi-Sample Rate", but these are labelled as "2" and "Hi Sample Rate Digital Out" respectively for me.
Well... I wrote the guide when I didn't have the Audio Deck within view, so don't take those names too literally. As long as you have the 4.73b drivers hosted on VIA Arena, you should be fine.

And yes, the Audio Deck is finicky. Once it's set to Auto, it shouldn't require any adjustment. I'm really not sure why you're experiencing static with that setup. Do you experience static if it's set to Hi Sample Rate / Digital Out? Disable KS or use Windows Media Player to check (otherwise, you'll need to enable a resampler in Foobar to upsample to 96kHz).
post #45 of 511
Yes, im using the 4.73b drivers.
I switched Audio Deck from "2" onto "Hi Sample Rate Digital Out" and then tried "KS : Envy24 Family Audio (WDM)" as foobar output with resampler DSP enabled and set to 96000Hz. Still only got white noise. Same story with using "DS : Envy24 Family Audio (WDM)" with no resampler DSP enabled. All I get is white noise from this socket it seems :/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP