Items needed for ear cleaning:
1. Cleaning Rod, at least as long as the length from one end of the ear to the other ear.
2. Cleaning Patches
3. Solvent, whether it's Hoppes 9 or some other good solvent, it doesn't matter.
4. Wire brush attachment
5. Patch loop attachment
6. Oil (spray can)
Here are the steps required:
1. Attach a patch to the looped rod attachment, attach it to the rod, saturate the patch with Hoppes Solvent, and run the patch through the ear an out of the other ear. Let solvent work on fouling for 15-30 minutes. There is no danger ear tube etching, so you can leave solvent in ears overnight if you want. Wipe off any misplaced solvent from face and head.
2. Run the wire brush through the ears several times to loosen any stubborn fouling.
3. Spray the oil into the ears, attach a dry patch to the looped rod attachment, and attach it to the rod. Run the dry patch through the ears. Repeat this procedure until patches are clean.