Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › When doctors clean ears, what do they do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When doctors clean ears, what do they do?

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
When doctors clean your ears, what do they do? Is there a name for the thing that they do? How does it work? I think I should try it out.
post #2 of 63
Why ?

If your's is blocked, just put olive oil in your ear, go to bed. In the morning, shower and put some water in and tip it out.
post #3 of 63
I was originally going to make a joke about how they shoot high pressure water in one ear and it forces everything out the other side, but on seeing rays post I had to say this: Do not use this olive oil technique, oil does not dissolve in water and the stuff that you can leave behind in there, especially if your going to sleep with it in there all night, which I find doubly stupid, can potentially rot and cause infection.

If your concerned about your ears then see your doctor, but don't go pouring stuff in there yourself to try and self-syringe them, you shouldn't even technically be putting cotton buds or kirby grips i there to clean them.
post #4 of 63
Ever see a plumbers snake? It looks like that.


Mitch
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by braillediver View Post
Ever see a plumbers snake? It looks like that.


Mitch
About the same size, too.
post #6 of 63
I wash my own ears out with a Water Pik. It works great, just use common sense.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by trains are bad View Post
I wash my own ears out with a Water Pik. It works great, just use common sense.
O_O

Lot's of people rupture their ear drums that way.
post #8 of 63
My doctor has this huge syringe looking tool, with a rubber piece at the end. He fills it up with warm water, and shoots into my ear, lots of pressure, feels kind of funny, and lets the overflow fall of the side into this little container. Then he shows me how much guck was in there, I gasp, and then he repeats with the other ear. When I come out, my hearing goes up 3 db
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by recstar24 View Post
My doctor has this huge syringe looking tool, with a rubber piece at the end. He fills it up with warm water, and shoots into my ear, lots of pressure, feels kind of funny, and lets the overflow fall of the side into this little container. Then he shows me how much guck was in there, I gasp, and then he repeats with the other ear. When I come out, my hearing goes up 3 db
I've been to a couple doctors, all of whom use this technique, except the warm water is actually a mixture of 50% warm water, 50% hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide helps to break up the earwax.
post #10 of 63
What sort of doctor do I go to get this done? And how much does it cost?
post #11 of 63
For my patients I use 25/75 hydrogen peroxide and warm water as stated above under pressure (a 20cc syringe usually) and gently flush the ear. First I let it set in the ear canal and 'bubble' then flush. The best way to maintain clean ear canals is to use soap and warm water in the shower daily. This will prevent the need to have them flushed in the office. You can easily do this yourself and don't need any help. Remember, gentle pressure as you can rupture the TM.
post #12 of 63
I think what my doctor did when I was little was he took a peroxide mixture, poured it into my ear, and let it sit for a minute or so as it bubbled away. Then he emptied it out, filled the other ear, and waited more. It was a really weird experience but it certainly did its job.
post #13 of 63
"My doctor has this huge syringe looking tool, with a rubber piece at the end."

What no Leech's? He's a quack. Now Theodoric of York would take care of you ear problem the old fashioned way.




Mitch
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonad View Post
The best way to maintain clean ear canals is to use soap and warm water in the shower daily. This will prevent the need to have them flushed in the office. You can easily do this yourself and don't need any help. Remember, gentle pressure as you can rupture the TM.
Could you please give us more detail as how to do so properly? Do I let warm water flow in the canal?
post #15 of 63
I put earwax eating worms into the patients ears and leave them there until it eats all the earwax, sometimes they poop them up inside the ear again, which makes it even harder to clean.

When patients have too much earwax, i put a long stick with brushes in one ear and out the other. When it is inserted, i begin to twist the stick clockwise.

johnsonad:For my patients I use 25/75 hydrogen peroxide and warm water as stated above under pressure (a 20cc syringe usually) and gently flush the ear. First I let it set in the ear canal and 'bubble' then flush. The best way to maintain clean ear canals is to use soap and warm water in the shower daily. This will prevent the need to have them flushed in the office. You can easily do this yourself and don't need any help. Remember, gentle pressure as you can rupture the TM. ::Thumbs Up::
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › When doctors clean ears, what do they do?