Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Lavry DA10 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lavry DA10 Appreciation Thread

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
I have just this DAC and really havent noticed that much buzz on it. Any other folks who really dig this little beast?
post #2 of 50
The norm with electronics, DAC, Amp, etc. -- differences are ALWAYS subtle at their best! Headphones make the most of the sound quality and can be distinguished the second you put them on, whereas electronics you will to put quite some effort to really tell the difference.

Like you, I also have Lavry DA10 and Zhaolu 2.5, the difference is very very subtle. With most of music, I can't tell the difference at all. But since ALL other people say DA10 is better, I feel better with DA10
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast View Post
That's the norm with electronics, DAC, Amp, etc. -- differences are ALWAYS subtle at their best! Headphones make the most of the sound quality and can be distinguished the second you put them on, whereas electronics you will to put quite some effort to really tell the difference.

Like you, I also have Lavry DA10 and Zhaolu 2.5, the difference is very very subtle. With most of music, I can't tell the difference at all. But since ALL other people say DA10 is better, I feel better with DA10
So differences are always subtle? I disagree.. My modded XDAC3 was better then my modded GM.. & my DAC1 is better then my modded XDAC3...Not night & day better, but more then subtle, & worth the extra coin.. You can't tell the difference betwen your Zhaolu 2.5 & Lavry??
post #4 of 50
Speak for yourself, I noticed a world of difference when I upgraded to a Bel-Canto Dac 2. Worth every penny to me.
post #5 of 50
Though it's been nearly a year since I last had a DA10, I can certainly give it some love as part of the well-designed ~$1K balanced DAC crowd, and with a pretty acceptable headphone amp to boot! Read the first review in my sig for more "buzz" on the DA10, not to be confused with buzz on the audio outputs, as it certainly has none.
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyruiz View Post
I have just this DAC and really havent noticed that much buzz on it.
Seriously?
post #7 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Seriously?
Compared to the Zhao or citypulse the DA10 is in a higher category and yet does not get the same attention.
post #8 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer View Post
Though it's been nearly a year since I last had a DA10, I can certainly give it some love as part of the well-designed ~$1K balanced DAC crowd, and with a pretty acceptable headphone amp to boot! Read the first review in my sig for more "buzz" on the DA10, not to be confused with buzz on the audio outputs, as it certainly has none.
Iron_Dreamer,
I just read your review and it rocked. I wrote a similar review on a showdown between the DAC1 and Lavry and I came to the same conclusions.

(I dont think your review rocked because I share you opinion by the way, it was just a great review )
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice View Post
So differences are always subtle? I disagree.. My modded XDAC3 was better then my modded GM.. & my DAC1 is better then my modded XDAC3...Not night & day better, but more then subtle, & worth the extra coin.. You can't tell the difference betwen your Zhaolu 2.5 & Lavry??
if he really does, he saves lots of money. why bother buying more expensive stuffs?
post #10 of 50
I got a Lavry yesterday and I spent a couple of hours listening to it.

My impression is that it sound very good, the music is very clear and detailed.

I also feel that the built in amplifier is also very good, great impact and tone.

Right now I like the Lavry out of the built in headphone amp better than the Lavry connected to my Headroom Max.

I think I have to either use only the built in amp. or try a different flavor like a tubed or balanced setup, but for now I really like the built in amp.

Do you have any recommendations for an amp. that pairs well with the Lavry?

BTW, I'm connecting the Lavry to my Headroom Max with an XLR to RCA adapter.
post #11 of 50
I have been using my DA10 since about Jan 06. So I am a long term user, still enjoying the music that it brings to my ears.
post #12 of 50
Thread Starter 
I am still being impressed by the Lavry. Its headphone amp is so good I am having a hard time justifying my GS-1. I simply cant really hear the difference between the Lavry's
built in head amp and the GS-1.

Can anyone else speak to their experience with the Lavrys headamp?
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyruiz View Post
Can anyone else speak to their experience with the Lavrys headamp?
It's a great amp I used it with my K340, HD650 and for a short while my HP-2.

I prefer the HP-2 with tubes, and the Melos was able to provide more current.

Aside from that I think the DA10's built in amp is exceptional.
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyruiz View Post
I am still being impressed by the Lavry. Its headphone amp is so good I am having a hard time justifying my GS-1. I simply cant really hear the difference between the Lavry's
built in head amp and the GS-1.

Can anyone else speak to their experience with the Lavrys headamp?
I personally didn't think the headamp in the Lavry is anything special while I owned the Lavry for the 6 months that I owned it. My old Dynahi easily walked over the Lavry in terms of power and drive. The Lavry is acceptable for low-impedance, high-sensitivity headphones, but it just did not have enough to power to drive high-impedance like the HD650s or low-sensitivity cans like the K701s. Even using it balanced to amp a balanced HD650, I still preferred the Dynahi for the HD650s in single-ended mode. I think the Lavry's internal headamp is not on the same level as its performance as a DAC.

If this sounds like I'm bashing the Lavry's headamp, it really wasn't my intention. Like I said, the headamp is not bad, but it's not good enough for me to not get a dedicated headphone amp (in my opinion of course)
post #15 of 50
Yep! I agree if I had not come across a great deal on my HA5000 I still would be using the amp of the DA10.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Lavry DA10 Appreciation Thread