or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Cyrus 8vs headphone output? a cmoy with real power? pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cyrus 8vs headphone output? a cmoy with real power? pics!

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
I took some pics inside my Cyrus 8vs amp. I've always thought that this amp has sounded pretty good with Grado's. Very neutral! I opened up the amp and it looks like the dedicated headphone amp is a cmoy based design? or am I wrong? Funny thing is that the parts in the Cyrus headphone circuit probably costs more than the same parts in a RA-1 + I get a huge power supply, multiple inputs, selectable input sensitivity and remote control.
From what I've seen of the parts there's Elna capacitors, TPA152 op amp and a 6.3mm Neutrik jack.







post #2 of 58
Eh.. my dad has an 8vs and I never noticed a headphone out.. Are newer versions called the 8vs too?
post #3 of 58
Thread Starter 
Hello,
It's on the back of the amp.

post #4 of 58
Thread Starter 
Doesn't seem like my images shows here. Got to get that fixed..
post #5 of 58
Thread Starter 
Problem's solved!
post #6 of 58
Wow, I love the upside down labels - something you can actually read when leaning over from above to hook stuff up.
post #7 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Wow, I love the upside down labels - something you can actually read when leaning over from above to hook stuff up.
post #8 of 58
Thread Starter 
Anyone have an opinion?
post #9 of 58
I don't think people who know what's inside the RA1 hold it in very high regard. Kudos to Cyrus - they weren't even trying to build a headphone amp, and they've already matched it.

Of course this is just my personal opinion, RA1 fans will disagree.
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Wow, I love the upside down labels - something you can actually read when leaning over from above to hook stuff up.
Apparently something I took for granted.

I haven't had extensive experience using the headphone out of my Cyrus (if only because the headphone jack is so darned hard to reach...), but I certainly can report a pleasant experience using it with my AKGs (that includes the K340). The totally electronic control plus the remote capability is quite something too! If only headphone amps come with these as standard.
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
Hello,
It's on the back of the amp.

http://cyrusaudio.com/prd_downloads/8vs2_re_1.jpg
Sweet Any idea how it fares with other cans? Now I know where the 8vs will be going when he decides to upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by db597 View Post
I don't think people who know what's inside the RA1 hold it in very high regard. Kudos to Cyrus - they weren't even trying to build a headphone amp, and they've already matched it.

Of course this is just my personal opinion, RA1 fans will disagree.
Ay, still remember that big thread on the RA1's internals that went to hell..
post #12 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by db597 View Post
I don't think people who know what's inside the RA1 hold it in very high regard. Kudos to Cyrus - they weren't even trying to build a headphone amp, and they've already matched it.

Of course this is just my personal opinion, RA1 fans will disagree.
The quality and cost of the capacitors, jack and op amp in the Cyrus is probably more expensive than the same parts in the RA-1. Add to that, that it has a large power supply and probably a better potentiometer too.
post #13 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorander View Post
Apparently something I took for granted.

I haven't had extensive experience using the headphone out of my Cyrus (if only because the headphone jack is so darned hard to reach...), but I certainly can report a pleasant experience using it with my AKGs (that includes the K340). The totally electronic control plus the remote capability is quite something too! If only headphone amps come with these as standard.
I have actually only listened to the amp with Grado's I'm afraid. I've owned dedicated amps in the past, including the RA-1. As I've found that the headphone output on the 8vs always sounded as good, I didn't bother with a new headphone amp. I want to say that it's not a warm amp or an amp with big bass. It's sounds strictly neutral to me. You get what's there. Sort of like my experience with the RA-1 and works very well for Grado's.
Regarding the headphone jack on the back it's not a problem if you only use one pair of headphones like I do. But I always use an extension cable so I have the jack on the front anyway
Reason I opened up the amp and had a look is because I wanted to know why I thought it sounded so good. The headphone output needs burn in and warm up though before anyone seriously judge it.
post #14 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
Sweet Any idea how it fares with other cans? Now I know where the 8vs will be going when he decides to upgrade



Ay, still remember that big thread on the RA1's internals that went to hell..
I might actually keep it or not bother to get a new amp. Hard to do any real comparison without having any amps to compare it to though.
My impressions is after long term usage, but the pics might explain why I think it sounds as good as a RA-1..
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
The quality and cost of the capacitors, jack and op amp in the Cyrus is probably more expensive than the same parts in the RA-1. Add to that, that it has a large power supply and probably a better potentiometer too.
Yes, but it can't possibly sound as good because it lacks the mahogany box.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Cyrus 8vs headphone output? a cmoy with real power? pics!