Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Any FM fans left?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any FM fans left? - Page 2

post #16 of 24
If you want a decent tuner, you can do well with an older quality unit - Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Kenwood, Sansui, etc. Several (as in too may) great vintage FM tuners in the house - Sony ST-730ES, Sony ST-5000FW (Radio X modded), Sony ST 5130, Fisher FM50B, but maybe the best sounding is the one in the Fisher 500C tube receiver. I will be selling some of these off soon.

Very good FM here in Eastern KS: University of Kansas NPR and student stations, University of Misouri KC, and a very eclectic community station in KC.
post #17 of 24
Slwiser. I wasn't aware that Virginia was a state full of killers...............or is it the result having to deal with soo many congressmen polluting the population indigenous to the great state of Virginia. Once upon a time I had visions of moving to the environs of Charlottesville.........."alas, poor ****guy, I knew him well"
edit: although in Richmond, I'd have to go along with the above-stated residents in feeling simularly about whoever chose that particular design for Arthur A. monument being placed in the same neighborhood as the beautiful pre-existing examples.
post #18 of 24
Anyone know if there are any current FM tube tuners in production?

Gene
post #19 of 24
To bad it is just not my area that is influenced by such broadcast sounds that is on our air-waves in FM and AM land. Check this link out:

http://www.wnbc.com/news/11215959/de...=headlineclick

We are cultivating crime. It is just not our country either. Remember even on this site we are not supposed to make moral judgments about things, it is off topic. Having morality and speaking about it is off limits everywhere today. What I get from radio is a lack of anything that encourages people to reach for something higher than themselves. Pollution of the mind and heart is what I get 24/7 from radio.

Again, CDs are a good thing, at least the right CDs, classical instrumental music is where it is at for me with maybe a little jazz instrumentals thrown in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BushGuy View Post
Slwiser. I wasn't aware that Virginia was a state full of killers...............or is it the result having to deal with soo many congressmen polluting the population indigenous to the great state of Virginia. Once upon a time I had visions of moving to the environs of Charlottesville.........."alas, poor ****guy, I knew him well"
edit: although in Richmond, I'd have to go along with the above-stated residents in feeling simularly about whoever chose that particular design for Arthur A. monument being placed in the same neighborhood as the beautiful pre-existing examples.
post #20 of 24
I enjoy listening to Jazz on the radio, it gives me the opportunity to listen to new artists that I may not be aware off. Sadly there are only two jazz stations left in Miami and one if of smooth jazz (93.9). Only 88.9 left.
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinkansas View Post
If you want a decent tuner, you can do well with an older quality unit - Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Kenwood, Sansui, etc. Several (as in too may) great vintage FM tuners in the house - Sony ST-730ES, Sony ST-5000FW (Radio X modded), Sony ST 5130, Fisher FM50B, but maybe the best sounding is the one in the Fisher 500C tube receiver. I will be selling some of these off soon.

Very good FM here in Eastern KS: University of Kansas NPR and student stations, University of Misouri KC, and a very eclectic community station in KC.
I had aFisher 500c a long time ago. I paid about $10 for it in the used section of Opus One in Pittsburgh when I was in high school. How does the 5130 sound right out of the headphone jack?

That little 16 watt station I mentioned is publicly supported, not part of NPR. The variety of music is astounding, and they do almost no signal processing. The only problem is that you need a rooftop antenna pointed right at their tower and a really good tuner to get a quiet stereo signal, but I'm OK with that. You've got three of the best Sonys out there.
post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Magnum Dynalab, but it's going to cost you:

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmtuner-md102t.htm

You can get A Dynaco FM3 for almost nothing, and they sound amazingly good after you do a DIY alignment.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
I had aFisher 500c a long time ago. I paid about $10 for it in the used section of Opus One in Pittsburgh when I was in high school. How does the 5130 sound right out of the headphone jack?

That little 16 watt station I mentioned is publicly supported, not part of NPR. The variety of music is astounding, and they do almost no signal processing. The only problem is that you need a rooftop antenna pointed right at their tower and a really good tuner to get a quiet stereo signal, but I'm OK with that. You've got three of the best Sonys out there.
These Sonys are indeed quite good. The ST730ES is extremely quiet - great for headphone use. The ST5000FW is a little more detailed, but it is noisier. I use a Rat Shack yagi on the ceiling of my home office. I'll eventually get something up on the roof when the weather gets better.

The ST5130 is decent enough out of the headphone jack, but not as good as through a tube amp.
post #24 of 24
You can check with Mapleshade regarding reconditioned vintage tubed receivers/tuners.
http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...onics_main.php

As mentioned previously, Magnum Dynalab offers a few tube tuners, but pricey. Jolida has a PLL tubed tuner, that may be more affordable. http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd402a.shtml

Also, some tube tuners here.
http://www.questforsound.com/tuners.htm
The table radios look interesting. They have RCA outputs to connect to other equipment. Review here. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tubetuner/r601p.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Pat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Any FM fans left?