or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k) - Page 43

post #631 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirimaru View Post
wow!!! the results are worst than the stock xfi,but then why it sound far better than the stock xfi?
Like cotdt said rmaa doesnt say how well it sounds but its useful when u want to test if opamp is forking correctly (in current circuit). Numbers are fine but i would like to see graphs also.
My rmaa taken some months ago after opamp change (using ad8620).
16bit 44khz http://www.hot.ee/qwerty009/xfi.pdf
24bit 96khz http://www.hot.ee/qwerty009/xfi2.pdf
post #632 of 2194
I see alot of posters on this forum that have their x-fi connected to an EMU 0404 USB via optical, thn goto either headphones or speakers from that. Would this help or hurt the sound after this mod? I just bought a pre-mod'd xfi xm from soloz2 & a pair of Beyer DT770/80's from Naldo (Good guys BTW!) and was curious to see if getting the EMU would help for gaming? I do have a MisterX CMOY amp currently (see sig!).
post #633 of 2194
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFNDeal View Post
I see alot of posters on this forum that have their x-fi connected to an EMU 0404 USB via optical, thn goto either headphones or speakers from that. Would this help or hurt the sound after this mod? I just bought a pre-mod'd xfi xm from soloz2 & a pair of Beyer DT770/80's from Naldo (Good guys BTW!) and was curious to see if getting the EMU would help for gaming? I do have a MisterX CMOY amp currently (see sig!).
using an E-MU would negate all the X-Fi mods. The modded X-Fi has a much better analog stage than the E-MU. Yeah... definately get rid of the E-MU. You can see for yourself. In my opinion, even the stock X-Fi comes very close to the E-MU.
post #634 of 2194
well, the mod is focus on the analog out put of the card, so if you connect a e-mu to it by using optical/coax, you will be by passing the mod and feed the signal directly into the e-mu. So the mod will become useless.
post #635 of 2194
hottrodd the e-mu usb as well? if i'm not wrong it has a better dac then x-fi series(except elite pro). There's tons of jrc 2068 opamp inside and 1 jrc 2114 opamp for the headphone out.. not that sure which should be changed and which should not...
post #636 of 2194
Yesterday I bought a pen-type tip for my soldering station and today I resoldered the op-amp. It was much easier because I could get the tip between the legs and clean the spaces. One thing that was making it difficult was my hands shaking all the time.

Now I can say that my channel balance is fixed and sound is wonderful. Next I will put the anti-static bag over my X-fi. Have to cut a hole for the heat sink just in case.
post #637 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba View Post

Next I will put the anti-static bag over my X-fi. Have to cut a hole for the heat sink just in case.

hmmm that helps ? Cause everyone has an anti static bag...


Well I have bad news from me...My 3300uf 16v cap doesn't work...
Default cap is ok with X-Fi and working again..

I dont have any 16V here but I have many 10V.
Cap MUST be 16v ?
post #638 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos.gr View Post
hmmm that helps ? Cause everyone has an anti static bag...


Well I have bad news from me...My 3300uf 16v cap doesn't work...
Default cap is ok with X-Fi and working again..

I dont have any 16V here but I have many 10V.
Cap MUST be 16v ?

I haven't measured, but the card should get a 12v input from the mobo so you will want something at least 12v. so 16v is really the ideal
post #639 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos.gr View Post
hmmm that helps ? Cause everyone has an anti static bag...
Have to try and it costs nothing.

I have a feeling that AKG K701 improves its sound noticeably when I upgrade something in the signal path. I can't hear that much improvement with Sonys. Bass is very nice with AKG and heavy metal is the only music style where it still isn't good. Electronic and pop music sounds very nice.
post #640 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
I haven't measured, but the card should get a 12v input from the mobo so you will want something at least 12v. so 16v is really the ideal
PCI voltage is 3.3v or 5v...

I soldered an 6.5v 2200μF and sounds very nice.
So I think its ok
post #641 of 2194
So if the EMU would negate the upgrades, should I or should I not still use a headphone amp.
post #642 of 2194
Thread Starter 
the E-MU negates the analog stage, but the headphone amp comes after it. so yes, use an amp if your headphone or speaker requires it. don't use a CMoy though. the internal amp in the X-Fi is stronger/better than the CMoy so the CMoy would only degrade sound quality. The minimum quality amp that should be used is the Gilmore Lite in my opinion.
post #643 of 2194
here's BigFNDeal's card in action



I masked the ERS paper upon special request for cosmetic reasons
post #644 of 2194
Yeah 6.3V should be fine as 5v is all it should ever get. My 6,3v cap hasnt blown up yet Use your own discretion.. 16V would be the safe choice.

As for the static bags, yes they make a difference (the thick semi-transparant silvery kind). I'm not sure putting a 'static bag *over* the card' is such a great idea if that is what it sounds like. It will get too warm and cause some distortion (tried this). Probably only covering the backside of the card is plenty, maybe could do the DSP/DAC also but i dunno if its needed. But dont smother the card.
post #645 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
the E-MU negates the analog stage, but the headphone amp comes after it. so yes, use an amp if your headphone or speaker requires it. don't use a CMoy though. the internal amp in the X-Fi is stronger/better than the CMoy so the CMoy would only degrade sound quality. The minimum quality amp that should be used is the Gilmore Lite in my opinion.
hmm... I'd disagree with you there. I'm running it off my Larocco PRII (assuming that this is worse than gilmore lite) and I think it sounds better than the internal x-fi amp.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)