or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k) - Page 84

post #1246 of 2194
Went back & looked again & I don't know why but when I clicked on the graphs before it showed no difference but I finally by continuing with the overlay sceme can now very clearly see a difference. Lower noise & distortion in the 048b file than the 028b file.

I must have had 2 of the same files open & didn't realize it as I could switch back & forth ad noseum & there was no diference at all
post #1247 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
Went back & looked again & I don't know why but when I clicked on the graphs before it showed no difference but I finally by continuing with the overlay sceme can now very clearly see a difference. Lower noise & distortion in the 048b file than the 028b file.
I must have had 2 of the same files open & didn't realize it as I could switch back & forth ad noseum & there was no diference at all
assquack!
- LMAO!
- will call and yell at you later this evening and sort this out ....
post #1248 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichi View Post
assquack!
- LMAO!
- will call and yell at you later this evening and sort this out ....
going to get something to eat be back in an hour or so.
post #1249 of 2194
Pics of Modded X-Fi Elite Pro

http://www.esnips.com/web/ModdedX-Fipics
post #1250 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
Pics of Modded X-Fi Elite Pro

http://www.esnips.com/web/ModdedX-Fipics
Those leads are insane, and go against one of the most basic rules about capacitors.

Those things would be beacons for interference in your computer.

Those leads most definitely eliminate the positive effect those caps could of had.

Not to mention you had to solder extra lead on to get it long enough.


Sorry to say, but a good capacitor with a crappy utilization is no benefit. And that is one of the worst examples of this I've seen.
post #1251 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
Those leads are insane, and go against one of the most basic rules about capacitors.

Those things would be beacons for interference in your computer.

Those leads most definitely eliminate the positive effect those caps could of had.

Not to mention you had to solder extra lead on to get it long enough.


Sorry to say, but a good capacitor with a crappy utilization is no benefit. And that is one of the worst examples of this I've seen.
The proof is in the sound, isn't it??
I assure you the sound is glorious. The spectrum analysis shows almost no noise added & it still specs at better than 116db S/N ratio. So much for theory. It is always prctical experiance that counts, isn't it?
post #1252 of 2194
at least use some heatshrink to insulate those leads!
post #1253 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
The proof is in the sound, isn't it??
I assure you the sound is glorious. The spectrum analysis shows almost no noise added & it still specs at better than 116db S/N ratio. So much for theory. It is always prctical experiance that counts, isn't it?
Then where are the graphs comparing before and after?

"the proof is in the sound" means nothing. There is no proof in that unless you have done blind testing.

The ESR and inductance now present because of how you implemented those caps probably makes it higher than a high quality electrolytic or polymer with proper length leads.

Also, the statement saying practical experience is better over theory is crap. Thank god the world's science community doesn't have that attitude, or we definitely would not be as advanced as we are today.
post #1254 of 2194
FLAMEEEE WAAARRRR!!!!
post #1255 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
FLAMEEEE WAAARRRR!!!!
Please don't.
post #1256 of 2194
Sorry. Maybe I have a bad habit of pointing out the obvious.

@ germanium - perhaps you could do a blind test with a couple of friends to make LawnGnome a happy camper.
post #1257 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
Then where are the graphs comparing before and after?

"the proof is in the sound" means nothing. There is no proof in that unless you have done blind testing.

The ESR and inductance now present because of how you implemented those caps probably makes it higher than a high quality electrolytic or polymer with proper length leads.

Also, the statement saying practical experience is better over theory is crap. Thank god the world's science community doesn't have that attitude, or we definitely would not be as advanced as we are today.
It may be true that the science community isn't overly dogmatic after all that is how we got the advances we did. It is not science when one only seeks to disprove the ideas of others. I have seen this all to often. For example I find much adu about why delta sigma DACs shouldn't be even mediocre yet there are excellent examples of the same out there that put 99% of the old ladder type DACs to shame. It is only a few very very expensive DACs of the ladder type that can beat highend delta sigma in performance. Even mediocre delta sigma can beat most highend ladder DACs performance wise. All this was done in a very scholarly looking style. Does that make it so?? Absolutely not!!!!!

I go by my own experience as to what works for me. Will everyone like the sound , probably not. But will most people like it? I would say yes.

I have had compliments on the sound of my system when it was not even as good as it is now from someone just passing though my room where it was setup before. They told me they could tell the sound was really special that it didn't sound like it was coming from the speakers at all. Isn't that what stereo was originally meant to do? Yet I find all too lacking these days.

No I didn't provide RMAA results but let me assure you there was really nothing outragously wrong with them & I was honest that there was a few new spikes in the noise floor in the upper mids & lower treble but not of any sufficient value to even come close to being a problem. The tests still came out with better than 116db S/N ratio & dynamic range so what is the problem LawnGnome? All the distortion plots were so close you would have had to use a magnifier to see any diference at all.

The reason I haven't posted new tests is I've been enjoying the sound so much that I have been listening to music almost nonstop for the whole remainder of the weakend.
post #1258 of 2194
Here is those tests with those big fat knarly interference grabbers you think I have LawnGnome

http://www.esnips.com/web/Testswith12ufcaps

A whole lot of interference huh!! -135 db at worst. I don't really see a problem there. do you??

Other specs of interest
Noise -116.5
Dynamics 116.4
THD .0007%
IMD .0010%
IMD swept .0008%
Crosstalk at 1KHz -113.7
post #1259 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
Pics of Modded X-Fi Elite Pro

http://www.esnips.com/web/ModdedX-Fipics

What's the pic of the front of the board? It's not a steady pic so I can't make out what it is that's supposed to be shown.
post #1260 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
What's the pic of the front of the board? It's not a steady pic so I can't make out what it is that's supposed to be shown.
The removed caps that now have wire in thier place
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)