or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k) - Page 77

post #1141 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1 View Post
Hi, Germanium, you have lots of explanations since post #1055, do you have other mods besides the ones stated in your post #1055?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=1055

Thanks!

Another question, you said in #1112 that "Bass is rock solid but with ambiance not heard before. This can still be improved apon with bigger bypasses on the +/- 12 volt caps. ", but in your #1055, you said, bypass with 1 3.3uf is fine, do you suggest more capacitance metalized cap here?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=1112
Yes I was going to try that & see if it helps here . It has gernerally worked before. This is bypassing the 2 -220uf caps by the opamps I tried it before but never looked closely at the IM distortion which improved in good portion. Even though the bass is very solid now, better than stock , I feel there is still room for improvement. Looking to put about 10uf here. You see my tests Ter1?

I guess I have been very busy on here lately haven't I??
post #1142 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichi View Post
ha!
- three RMAA crashes, with Creative Volume panel
- Creative set for 96k sample and record set for 96k 24b
- RMAA set for 96k/24b test.....

Will plod on tomorrow.....
- twists Germanium's gain bias pot to high....
My gain pot already set to high, HaHa Oh you mean bias pots, eh. Well I don't have any of those so your out of luck, HaHaHaHeeeeHaaaawwwww
post #1143 of 2194
Got some burrbrown opa2132's coming in tomorrow, might see how they fair.
post #1144 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
Got some burrbrown opa2132's coming in tomorrow, might see how they fair.
Seems to have very similar specs to the National part being recommended right down to the current capability. Nothing here to get my upgrade juices going. Would want similar specs but higher current drive capability & ability to work with lower output impedance without lowering performance. Performance drops as output loading impedance drops & is sensitive to capacitance.
post #1145 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
Seems to have very similar specs to the National part being recommended right down to the current capability. Nothing here to get my upgrade juices going. Would want similar specs but higher current drive capability & ability to work with lower output impedance without lowering performance. Performance drops as output loading impedance drops & is sensitive to capacitance.
Yeah, the BB OPAx132 series has a good reputation for quite a while as a nice little opamp.

I also have some single channel versions coming that I might use to replace the opamps in my amp.
post #1146 of 2194
OPA2132 is ho-hum. The LM4562 is *much* better sounding. They don't spec anything alike neither. The LM4562 has a much higher input bias and offset currents and voltages.
post #1147 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
OPA2132 is ho-hum. The LM4562 is *much* better sounding. They don't spec anything alike neither. The LM4562 has a much higher input bias and offset currents and voltages.
I stand corrected on the specs but still looking for higher current part that can drive sub 100 ohm loads without loss of performance & not be reactive to capacitance in the cables when the resistance at the output is below 100 ohms. Thats what I get for going by memory when comparing specs. Looking at the specs these do actually look better than I originally remembered & said. But there is this nagging thing that I've seen some that seemed to have a drop in performance in these cards. I wish someone could in fact show me the case where it actually performed better. The NJM2114 seems to perform better than the specs suggest in my card.

This may be an unobtainable goal but I don't want to put an amp in & not have at least as good performance as I already have.
post #1148 of 2194
Thank you so much for this thread. I'm almost salivating at the prospect of teaming up a modded elite pro with my HD595s. Problem is I'm a wimp...

I apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but is there anyone offering to mod an Elite Pro for me? Preferably in the UK/Europe since shipping and tax elsewhere could be nasty. I already have the opamp, but I may be tempted to put a blackgate in too. I'd really prefer someone with some feedback if possible, since I've had bad experiences with forum trades before. Naturally, I'll pay whatever you think is reasonable for labour, as well as all shipping costs. I can pay by Paypal, cash, cheque, bank transfer, or anything else you suggest. You can even keep the two extra opamps I was sent, since I only need the headphone out modding.

Considered doing it myself, since I CAN solder/desolder, but with the size of the opamp it's slightly above what I'm willing to do.

If anyone is interested in helping out a beginner, please reply/PM/email me.

Thanks in advance.
post #1149 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseToTheHedge View Post
Thank you so much for this thread. I'm almost salivating at the prospect of teaming up a modded elite pro with my HD595s. Problem is I'm a wimp...

I apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but is there anyone offering to mod an Elite Pro for me? Preferably in the UK/Europe since shipping and tax elsewhere could be nasty. I already have the opamp, but I may be tempted to put a blackgate in too. I'd really prefer someone with some feedback if possible, since I've had bad experiences with forum trades before. Naturally, I'll pay whatever you think is reasonable for labour, as well as all shipping costs. I can pay by Paypal, cash, cheque, bank transfer, or anything else you suggest. You can even keep the two extra opamps I was sent, since I only need the headphone out modding.

Considered doing it myself, since I CAN solder/desolder, but with the size of the opamp it's slightly above what I'm willing to do.

If anyone is interested in helping out a beginner, please reply/PM/email me.

Thanks in advance.
check out Bichi's tutorial here about swapping opamps.http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...229350&page=54
post #1150 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
check out Bichi's tutorial here about swapping opamps.http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...229350&page=54
Thanks for the reply. I did read that before but it still sounded a bit over my head. However after looking at the pictures I just might be able to manage that if I got hold of some soldering paste. I also have an old Audigy 2 ZS, so I guess I could feasibly try switching the opamp on that, and if it works go ahead and mod the x-fi.
post #1151 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseToTheHedge View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did read that before but it still sounded a bit over my head. However after looking at the pictures I just might be able to manage that if I got hold of some soldering paste. I also have an old Audigy 2 ZS, so I guess I could feasibly try switching the opamp on that, and if it works go ahead and mod the x-fi.
Good plan I would say.
post #1152 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
I stand corrected on the specs but still looking for higher current part that can drive sub 100 ohm loads without loss of performance & not be reactive to capacitance in the cables when the resistance at the output is below 100 ohms. Thats what I get for going by memory when comparing specs. Looking at the specs these do actually look better than I originally remembered & said. But there is this nagging thing that I've seen some that seemed to have a drop in performance in these cards. I wish someone could in fact show me the case where it actually performed better. The NJM2114 seems to perform better than the specs suggest in my card.

This may be an unobtainable goal but I don't want to put an amp in & not have at least as good performance as I already have.
Hmm, I only know of one chip that'll fit the pinouts and can truly drive a headphone and that's the AD8397, but it's a finicky chip. It doesn't need an external buffer, since it pumps out 200+mA. Since I'm not familiar (haven't invested the time or effort) with the output stage of the X-Fi, I don't know if it can fit in there without issues. The AD8620 (a bit thin and tinny) and the OPA2107 (dark and slightly veiled) both have higher currents than the LM4562 (which is very meak and not really made for driving low impedence directly), and I do use them in CMoy configurations. They work OK, but depending on your headphone drivers it might not be adequate. If push comes to shove, I would use the AD8620. There are other high speed opamps which are better, but they are much much finickier.

I do have the LM4562 in my X-Fi, but I use a headphone amp as well. The high input offset and bias voltages and currents of the LM4562 is what causes the high DC offset in my CMoy (~170mv/channel). I would have to tweak some resistances to resolve it, but I just dropped a different opamp in, since I have a few different ones and I need to order different resistors (plain lazy). I went blindly with the transplant on the X-Fi, and I do like the sound of the LM4562 a lot. The extension is much cleaner on both ends compared to the stocker.
post #1153 of 2194
Why hasn't anyone considered super high speed opamps?

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/opa2822.html

Looks interesting,

Only 2nv noise, 32ns settling time to .1%, 170 v/us slew rate.
post #1154 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post
"...but still looking for higher current part that can drive sub 100 ohm loads without loss of performance & not be reactive to capacitance in the cables when the resistance at the output is below 100 ohms..."
Here ya go, ya assquack (LOL!)
- now pull-finger and get your soldering iron out...

Going to assume AD8599 will operate at lower Vs range and install now...
- and if it doesn't, I'll never admit it....

Analog Devices AD8599
- 1 nV/√Hz at 1 kHz noise
- Slew rate: 16 V/μs
- 30ma output drive
- (small on purpose: assuming at 15vdc)

Comment at Analog Zone:
http://www.analogzone.com/acqp1009.htm

Preliminary datasheet says ±5V to ±15V Operation:
http://www.silica.com/media.php/Imag...ept06.pdf?dl=1

Released datasheet says ±15 V operation:
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...ets/AD8599.pdf
post #1155 of 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichi View Post
Analog Devices AD8599
- 30ma output drive
That's about average. 30-60 is the range of most opamps. My reading was he wanted to drive it with authority, meaning you would need a couple hundred mA. The opamp was also mentioned early on, as an alternative to the LM4562, if driving headphones.

LawnGnome, if you're going to try and run a finicky opamp, you need to figure out the entire opamp circuit. There's a decent chance you will oscillate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)