Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › HIGH END CABLES - The truth revealed! (personal opinion only)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HIGH END CABLES - The truth revealed! (personal opinion only) - Page 9  

post #121 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER View Post
Knowing those 3 parameters will not tell you exactly what the cable sounds like, just like knowing specifications of a power amp will not tell you exactly what it sounds like. So, in my book those 3 parameters don’t mean all that much.
So what are the specific parameters that make a cable sound different? You have to be able to measure it, if two elements measure the same they sound the same. No other way around that.
post #122 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER View Post
Knowing those 3 parameters will not tell you exactly what the cable sounds like, just like knowing specifications of a power amp will not tell you exactly what it sounds like. So, in my book those 3 parameters don’t mean all that much.
These 3 parameters will pedict precisely, how electricity will behave like if the cable is made a part of an electrical circuit.

All modern technology is based on that knowledge. Strange thing is, it does apply to even the highest developed branches of electronics, but not for audio.
As the prices climb, and the smaller the research department of the company, the less the most basic knowledge seems to be applieable.The more so, the convinced customers get thin-skinned to the terms "marketing" and "placebo".

Believe it or not, there's no music inside the stupid cable. Damn, it's electricity.
post #123 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun View Post
These 3 parameters will pedict precisely, how electricity will behave like if the cable is made a part of an electrical circuit.

All modern technology is based on that knowledge. Strange thing is, it does apply to even the highest developed branches of electronics, but not for audio.
As the prices climb, and the smaller the research department of the company, the less the most basic knowledge seems to be applieable.The more so, the convinced customers get thin-skinned to the terms "marketing" and "placebo".

Believe it or not, there's no music inside the stupid cable. Damn, it's electricity.
And resistance and isolation material etc. the one is much better then the other. Teflon is best.

If so, then all the rest is placebo also like the differences in amps, wich are much smaller then in cables and sources. Hell, even the filters in speakers don't make any difference, they all souns the same.
post #124 of 229
Teflon is the best, because of its heat resistance, which is why the aerospace companies and military use it. Not because it sounds better.
post #125 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by naamanf View Post
And what's laughable is that the DAC in my car is almost worth as much as your entire home system.
And we have a winner.

This quote proves you know what you are talking about

I find it incredible that anyone would put that much money in a car audio system when the noice floor starts at, what, 70 db and goes higher the faster you drive.
post #126 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
And resistance and isolation material etc. the one is much better then the other. Teflon is best.

If so, then all the rest is placebo also like the differences in amps, wich are much smaller then in cables and sources. Hell, even the filters in speakers don't make any difference, they all souns the same.
lol, guess what the "R" in "R,C,L"means?
post #127 of 229
Thread Starter 
I find it amusing how 95% of people can't even tell the difference between good 320kbps and lossless, yet rant on about the differences between $200 cables and $4000 cables.

And not to mention... during the original recording, if they're only using a $50 cable in the studio while recording... the best sound you're ever going to get is only worth $50!
post #128 of 229

67% of people make up statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrooLism View Post
I find it amusing how 95% of people can't even tell the difference between good 320kbps and lossless, yet rant on about the differences between $200 cables and $4000 cables.

And not to mention... during the original recording, if they're only using a $50 cable in the studio while recording... the best sound you're ever going to get is only worth $50!

Interesting to note that 73% of people make up statistics.
post #129 of 229
The science of cables... Interesting read.
post #130 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun View Post
lol, guess what the "R" in "R,C,L"means?
rediculous?
conclusions?
Laughing.?

Or resistance (r), Inductance (L) and Capacitance (C), the three ingredients to alter sound the most in cables? Guess where the best measuring cables, high end, shine?! Yes, in those three catagories.

Quote "At audio frequencies shape fo the conductor really makes NO difference..... At RF frequencies it makes ALL the difference." hmm, the ohno proces, single crystal pure copper has measurable 1/5 th more frequency responce then any other cable. so, it does matter after all. Ohno is expensive to make and found mostly in high end cables. The rest, cheaper cables roll off the extreem highes.

Important, yes, since 15khz can be heard the frequency of 30khz is important, extension leeds to hearable more information in the high regions. So, for full info at 20 khz, you need extension to at least 40khz due to the harmonics. Most cables i heard don't and roll off the extreem highs.
post #131 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrooLism
I find it amusing how 95% of people can't even tell the difference between good 320kbps and lossless, yet rant on about the differences between $200 cables and $4000 cables.

And not to mention... during the original recording, if they're only using a $50 cable in the studio while recording... the best sound you're ever going to get is only worth $50!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 883dave View Post
Interesting to note that 73% of people make up statistics.
That's why so much recordings sound like crap, and harsh! I have high quality recordings of audioquest made with high end cables and high end gear and they are completely in another league compared to a normal cd recording!

Remember also that in a studio you can alter the sound, so if you use a crap cable you can compensate for that to an extend. A better cable would simply do better.
post #132 of 229
And you assume that that is attributed to the cables?
post #133 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Z View Post
And you assume that that is attributed to the cables?

Why not, high end equipment needs better cables to shine. I've never seen a high end system with 50 dollar cables, there must be a reason for that. Or are they just simply ripping you off. To my intense listening and cable experiments there is much differrence in cables. Especially in tonality, extension, speed, body and neutrality.
post #134 of 229
Could it be said, then, that science has not addressed these audio differences or have only been studied at higher level technogies (sat and communications, biomedical, military etc.) with more complex signal demands? Audio study at this level could or may have been done and determined it of no merit. Are other properties (not in the normal power supply 101 courses) impacting the signal? I doubt the AC static and magnetic energy effects have an impact on sound with a properly built psu. I am ignorant enough on this topic to admit it and ask. I have had power courses in HS, Navy (IC), Computer repair, Electrical union and factory design courses. None of these courses discuss power impact on signal quality (other than thru the power supply performance) except by fluxuation of potential and phase timing, to the best of my memory. These classes were 30 years ago. Have things been discovered that have changed? Any treatment of extrainious contaminants were done at the psu/filter and shielded components. Everything in the signal generation section was made and transported internally thru the power supply.

Sampling is the only way of knowing what impact this has. At least this product can be auditioned before purchase.

Enjoyment of a spirited debate can motivate folks to extend efforts to find answers so lazy folk like me can benefit. That's what is so cool about this forum. Personal qualifications for those giving an answer to a question should not be an issue, the source and validity of information is. If we are all arguing about opinions or wrong training, I can see why this turns into a FFA. But we have the industry expertize here to debate the physics of the topic.

Why do these debates generally get terminated? Moderators can keep on topic or remove offensive posts. Or, do we not want to know the answers on a public forum sponsered by influencial vendors?
post #135 of 229
I recommend you to read the link that I just posted above...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › HIGH END CABLES - The truth revealed! (personal opinion only)