or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 221

post #3301 of 3586

This is my early impressions I posted on the e series thread.

 

Quote:

 

I must admit it took me a while to get the right fit with my 325e. My ears are small enough that the L-cush in my 325e works like an over the ear cup instead of an on-ear.

 

The first time I put them on, they sounded thin and seem to have no bass at all. That's because the cushion is not making a proper seal with my ears.

 

Once I found the correct position that creates the best seal around my ear everything sounded as good as it gets.

 

I tried the S-cush from my SR80i and a G-cush but they don't seem to sound as good as with the L-cush. I guess the 325 is fine tuned and optimized for the L-cush.

 

Also It took a while to adjust with the cushion hugging my ear. It initially feels something is pinching my ear. But after a while it's business as usual.

 

As for SQ, I am amaze how Pearl Jam's album VS sound on 325e. The bass in particular is very solid and hit very hard. Combine that with a very clear, detailed mids and treble and the very PRaT. The sound is so alive which previously sounded a bit dull on my other headphones.

 

Same goes with Red Hot Chili Peppers I just tried.

 

 

The e series is like an iem in terms of amplification. A decent DAP like a DX90 or an X5 is more than enough to drive the new Grados with authority.

Quote:
 

One more thing, the 325e is ridiculously very easy to drive. I am using the O2 amp and DX90 as the source and at 0dB (1X) gain I can't go past 12 o'clock on the volume pot. Evey music I played rumbles.

 

I switched to a less powerful amp, the Leckerton UHA-6SMKII and hooked it up to my Macbook via optical cable and at low gain the 325e is plenty loud and driven with absolute authority.

 


Edited by headwhacker - 6/21/14 at 2:25am
post #3302 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumbuba View Post

Send them to Grado for repair. Had same with a pair of SR 80's recently. 2 weeks later back from Grado better than new

Good luck
I was quoted £60 from their authorised UK repair shop for a new driver and cables so well worth it in my opinion
post #3303 of 3586
Inspired by an earlier post been testing out my new set up (Flac, Note 3, Fiio E18, SR325is) and "Black" by Pearl Jam is as close to my ideal sound that I have managed to achieve so far. These things are incredible for any guitar based music and vocals really come to life. Can it really get any better than this?
post #3304 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrecedent View Post

Inspired by an earlier post been testing out my new set up (Flac, Note 3, Fiio E18, SR325is) and "Black" by Pearl Jam is as close to my ideal sound that I have managed to achieve so far. These things are incredible for any guitar based music and vocals really come to life. Can it really get any better than this?


Yes it can...but what you have is pretty damn good!

post #3305 of 3586
Today I decided to make some new pads for my 325is. I've have a big comfort issue with all on ears alternatives I've tried so for the last year or so I've used bowl pads and been very happy with the sound but still not 100% satisfied with the comfort.

So now it was about time to try something different. This is very simple: all I did was taking a pair of comfy pads, a pair of beyer dt770 velour pads and one random pair of those plastic rings used with some pads (mine were probably HiFiman).

I first cut of about 1 cm of the plastic rings so that the beyer pads fitted them. After that I superglued the comfy pads to the plastic rings and just fitted the beyer pads on the plastic ring, done. Whole procedure took about 15 minutes and I'm very happy with the sound and extremely happy with the comfort.

I'll try to add some pictures later so that you guys can see what it looks like.

I highly recommend anyone having comfort issues with these lovely headphones to try this out.
post #3306 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

Today I decided to make some new pads for my 325is. I've have a big comfort issue with all on ears alternatives I've tried so for the last year or so I've used bowl pads and been very happy with the sound but still not 100% satisfied with the comfort.

So now it was about time to try something different. This is very simple: all I did was taking a pair of comfy pads, a pair of beyer dt770 velour pads and one random pair of those plastic rings used with some pads (mine were probably HiFiman).

I first cut of about 1 cm of the plastic rings so that the beyer pads fitted them. After that I superglued the comfy pads to the plastic rings and just fitted the beyer pads on the plastic ring, done. Whole procedure took about 15 minutes and I'm very happy with the sound and extremely happy with the comfort.

I'll try to add some pictures later so that you guys can see what it looks like.

I highly recommend anyone having comfort issues with these lovely headphones to try this out.


Would love to see the finished result on these. I thought about doing something similar myself when I first got my SR80 but shyed away from it after I got used to the Grado L cushions.
post #3307 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrecedent View Post

Inspired by an earlier post been testing out my new set up (Flac, Note 3, Fiio E18, SR325is) and "Black" by Pearl Jam is as close to my ideal sound that I have managed to achieve so far. These things are incredible for any guitar based music and vocals really come to life. Can it really get any better than this?

I remember saying the same exact thing about my 80i's/325is's!

Then I got the RS1i's…and said it again, then tried the GS1K's but they weren't for me, so then I tried/have the PS1k's, and although they are a great (different) headphone, I've gone back to my RS1i's after extensive listening to both the RS/PS. this is how it all starts, but its also the only real way to find out, and it makes for a great journey/experience for knowing what you like. 

So yes…(unfortunately) it does get better. LOL!!!

:beerchug:

post #3308 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I remember saying the same exact thing about my 80i's/325is's!

Then I got the RS1i's…and said it again, then tried the GS1K's but they weren't for me, so then I tried/have the PS1k's, and although they are a great (different) headphone, I've gone back to my RS1i's after extensive listening to both the RS/PS. this is how it all starts, but its also the only real way to find out, and it makes for a great journey/experience for knowing what you like. 

So yes…(unfortunately) it does get better. LOL!!!

:beerchug:

 

That's quite rare you know...

 

Your wallet is thankful...:D 

post #3309 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 

 

That's quite rare you know...

 

Your wallet is thankful...:D 

My wallets really not  too thankful…but its worth it for the fun/experience alone!

:beerchug:

post #3310 of 3586
Ok , here's some lousy phone pictures wink.gif




post #3311 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

Ok , here's some lousy phone pictures wink.gif

Looks really comfortable, how do they look on the head? Would you wear them out of the house? (Saying that mine never leave the house) How did you attach them to the Grado cups?




post #3312 of 3586
@lawrecedent

I never taken them outside before and probably won't do it in the future either wink.gif

They're really really comfortable and sound is much closer to stock than with the bowl pads, probably due to the fact that the drivers are much closer to the ears than with the bowl pads.

I just superglued the plastic rings that holds the beyer pads to the comfy pads and attached the comfy pads (with the rest on top) to the headphones as usual.
post #3313 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

@lawrecedent

I never taken them outside before and probably won't do it in the future either wink.gif

They're really really comfortable and sound is much closer to stock than with the bowl pads, probably due to the fact that the drivers are much closer to the ears than with the bowl pads.

I just superglued the plastic rings that holds the beyer pads to the comfy pads and attached the comfy pads (with the rest on top) to the headphones as usual.

So the Beyer pads are superglued to the Grado L Cushion pads? Does this not make them stick out a long way? How does this affect the overall sound quality? I know that they don't like being to closed in. I've always wondered why they didn't opt for a comfier pad design on the Grado line up. I have noticed that if you cover the backs with your hands to mimic closed cans they sound terrible.
post #3314 of 3586
@lawrecedent

The plastic rings are superglued to some Comfy pads (hd414 pads would work the same way) and the beyerpads are then fitted on to the plastic rings and can easily be removed again if one want to.

They stick out far less than the bowl pads. As a matter of fact my wears actually rest on the comfy pads at some points. I find the sound to be very close to stock, just need a bit more volume to get there.
post #3315 of 3586
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

@lawrecedent

The plastic rings are superglued to some Comfy pads (hd414 pads would work the same way) and the beyerpads are then fitted on to the plastic rings and can easily be removed again if one want to.

They stick out far less than the bowl pads. As a matter of fact my wears actually rest on the comfy pads at some points. I find the sound to be very close to stock, just need a bit more volume to get there.

Nice, I have a way old original pair of sr80, I can sense a little experimentation coming on....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.