Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New Grados or something else? $1000 budget (new or used) Last post on 1/5/15 at 1:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 7/1/15 at 4:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado PS500s (new Grado's) Last post on 5/21/15 at 9:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget Last post on 2/21/13 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Amp For My Grado cans (and some other low impedance phones) Last post on 4/11/11 at 11:33am in Portable Headphone Amps
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
For the price they offer great clarity, but I cannot reccomend these to people who mainly listen to bass heavy music. I still use my UM Pro10's regularly (I also have a pair of Audio Technica...
I have been searching best headphone(for me not for everyone I'm sorry) last half year. Now I found Sennheiser HD600/650 is one of best headphone for classical music and for me. I bought around...
I would like to start with saying thank you to Brainwavz and Pandora for letting me check out the Brainwavz Jive. The Brainwavz Jive is available from...
The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 205
Gear mentioned in this thread:
hmmm....I may stand corrected.
Well...I need to A/B them with and without but initial impression is that this is pretty good. Doesn't seem to open them up but I feel like the bass is better...hitting a bit lower. Seems to also take the slightest edge off the top end, which isn't a bad thing. Needs more testing with the amount of fill but I think this has some potential for an easy do it as needed mod.
The Grado drivers, as well as many other headphone manufacturers' drivers, are designed to have good frequency response in an open baffle (meaning an open enclosure which Grados have). Full-size speaker midranges and woofers typically need an enclosure (and tuned ports) to control driver movement. The fiber inside speaker cabinets helps to eliminate standing waves and reflection from the back/inside of the enclosure. I think fiber and other dampening material is more important in closed headphones but you might have some interesting results when tuning an open can with it.
Edited by Punnisher - 12/19/13 at 11:53am
Yeah. It definitely changed them. Not for worse either. Not sure if better, but different. I guess a lateral change. If your Grados are already busted open, I'd say it's worth trying. I mean it takes a couple seconds and is 100% reversable.
To repair I cut the wire in two (at the location of damage) and soldered each wire back together using silver, taped each wire individually, then together (ground with ground, power with power) then around all four. I think this will be more than enough to protect the newly soldered components.
I decided to go with dynamat on the backplate, I wanted to experiment with poly fill but had plenty of dynamat and no poly fill. Laws of college students state that the $5 on a pound of poly fill is better spent on 5 meals. Besides, aluminum housing deserves aluminum materials, so I covered all the interior walls that are plastic with dynamat(which is a product of tar-like rubber and aluminum sheet meant for cars mostly). I also chose to do alternating hole punches (5 total)
Removed grill cloth on front.
I removed the button to simplify the aesthetics on the outside and then used electrical tape on the bowls. The overall product of my labor.
Good for you!
Glad you could fix them and doing it yourself besides. If I lost my 325's I would be extremely upset. I got some 225i's just in case that should ever happen :) (Just to pull me through until I could get the 325's replaced or repaired)
That is exactly how I felt! But without the 225i, I REALLY did not want to have to go back to my bose oe.
After opening the cable up I was disappointed by how small the wiring really is the insulation is a bit misleading IMO) I would have to guess it was 22 awg or smaller with 4 runs(2 power 2 ground) to each can. Is that how small all headphones make their wiring? Probably the next thing to go.
Edited by ASillyUsername - 12/22/13 at 9:10am
- The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
- › Official Chicago August 8 2015 Impression Thread 2 seconds ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 1 minute ago
- › Why don't more people use EQ to get the desired sound? 1 minute ago
- › Cardas Clear Headphone Cable 2 minutes ago
- › Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iOS multichannel DAC? 3 minutes ago
- › STAY AWAY from "CareyPrice31" 3 minutes ago
- › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by ezekiel77
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2