Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New Grados or something else? $1000 budget (new or used) Last post on 1/5/15 at 1:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 1/7/16 at 6:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado PS500s (new Grado's) Last post on 11/22/15 at 10:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget Last post on 2/21/13 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Amp For My Grado cans (and some other low impedance phones) Last post on 4/11/11 at 11:33am in Portable Headphone Amps
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
I've owned this for about 6 months when I bought it direct from China. As a 68 year old it took me back to a time when I used to go to live concerts. But there were hidden costs involved. Firstly...
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 205
Gear mentioned in this thread:
hmmm....I may stand corrected.
Well...I need to A/B them with and without but initial impression is that this is pretty good. Doesn't seem to open them up but I feel like the bass is better...hitting a bit lower. Seems to also take the slightest edge off the top end, which isn't a bad thing. Needs more testing with the amount of fill but I think this has some potential for an easy do it as needed mod.
The Grado drivers, as well as many other headphone manufacturers' drivers, are designed to have good frequency response in an open baffle (meaning an open enclosure which Grados have). Full-size speaker midranges and woofers typically need an enclosure (and tuned ports) to control driver movement. The fiber inside speaker cabinets helps to eliminate standing waves and reflection from the back/inside of the enclosure. I think fiber and other dampening material is more important in closed headphones but you might have some interesting results when tuning an open can with it.
Edited by Punnisher - 12/19/13 at 11:53am
Yeah. It definitely changed them. Not for worse either. Not sure if better, but different. I guess a lateral change. If your Grados are already busted open, I'd say it's worth trying. I mean it takes a couple seconds and is 100% reversable.
To repair I cut the wire in two (at the location of damage) and soldered each wire back together using silver, taped each wire individually, then together (ground with ground, power with power) then around all four. I think this will be more than enough to protect the newly soldered components.
I decided to go with dynamat on the backplate, I wanted to experiment with poly fill but had plenty of dynamat and no poly fill. Laws of college students state that the $5 on a pound of poly fill is better spent on 5 meals. Besides, aluminum housing deserves aluminum materials, so I covered all the interior walls that are plastic with dynamat(which is a product of tar-like rubber and aluminum sheet meant for cars mostly). I also chose to do alternating hole punches (5 total)
Removed grill cloth on front.
I removed the button to simplify the aesthetics on the outside and then used electrical tape on the bowls. The overall product of my labor.
Good for you!
Glad you could fix them and doing it yourself besides. If I lost my 325's I would be extremely upset. I got some 225i's just in case that should ever happen :) (Just to pull me through until I could get the 325's replaced or repaired)
That is exactly how I felt! But without the 225i, I REALLY did not want to have to go back to my bose oe.
After opening the cable up I was disappointed by how small the wiring really is the insulation is a bit misleading IMO) I would have to guess it was 22 awg or smaller with 4 runs(2 power 2 ground) to each can. Is that how small all headphones make their wiring? Probably the next thing to go.
Edited by ASillyUsername - 12/22/13 at 9:10am
- The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
- › Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread) just now
- › Recommendation for DT770 Model and DAC/Amp Combo 40 seconds ago
- › Headphone wood cups 1 minute ago
- › What amplifier to get around 100 dollars? 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND THIS SONG!!!!-- 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 - Final Price! - $650 2 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-A2 or RHA-T20i 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...