Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New Grados or something else? $1000 budget (new or used) Last post on 1/5/15 at 1:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which albums sound best with your Grado? Last post on 11/27/14 at 5:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado PS500s (new Grado's) Last post on 4/11/15 at 10:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget Last post on 2/21/13 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Amp For My Grado cans (and some other low impedance phones) Last post on 4/11/11 at 11:33am in Portable Headphone Amps
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 205
Gear mentioned in this thread:
hmmm....I may stand corrected.
Well...I need to A/B them with and without but initial impression is that this is pretty good. Doesn't seem to open them up but I feel like the bass is better...hitting a bit lower. Seems to also take the slightest edge off the top end, which isn't a bad thing. Needs more testing with the amount of fill but I think this has some potential for an easy do it as needed mod.
The Grado drivers, as well as many other headphone manufacturers' drivers, are designed to have good frequency response in an open baffle (meaning an open enclosure which Grados have). Full-size speaker midranges and woofers typically need an enclosure (and tuned ports) to control driver movement. The fiber inside speaker cabinets helps to eliminate standing waves and reflection from the back/inside of the enclosure. I think fiber and other dampening material is more important in closed headphones but you might have some interesting results when tuning an open can with it.
Edited by Punnisher - 12/19/13 at 11:53am
Yeah. It definitely changed them. Not for worse either. Not sure if better, but different. I guess a lateral change. If your Grados are already busted open, I'd say it's worth trying. I mean it takes a couple seconds and is 100% reversable.
To repair I cut the wire in two (at the location of damage) and soldered each wire back together using silver, taped each wire individually, then together (ground with ground, power with power) then around all four. I think this will be more than enough to protect the newly soldered components.
I decided to go with dynamat on the backplate, I wanted to experiment with poly fill but had plenty of dynamat and no poly fill. Laws of college students state that the $5 on a pound of poly fill is better spent on 5 meals. Besides, aluminum housing deserves aluminum materials, so I covered all the interior walls that are plastic with dynamat(which is a product of tar-like rubber and aluminum sheet meant for cars mostly). I also chose to do alternating hole punches (5 total)
Removed grill cloth on front.
I removed the button to simplify the aesthetics on the outside and then used electrical tape on the bowls. The overall product of my labor.
Good for you!
Glad you could fix them and doing it yourself besides. If I lost my 325's I would be extremely upset. I got some 225i's just in case that should ever happen :) (Just to pull me through until I could get the 325's replaced or repaired)
That is exactly how I felt! But without the 225i, I REALLY did not want to have to go back to my bose oe.
After opening the cable up I was disappointed by how small the wiring really is the insulation is a bit misleading IMO) I would have to guess it was 22 awg or smaller with 4 runs(2 power 2 ground) to each can. Is that how small all headphones make their wiring? Probably the next thing to go.
Edited by ASillyUsername - 12/22/13 at 9:10am
- The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
- › "The Lab" 8 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 20 seconds ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 34 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 50 seconds ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 1 minute ago
- › Win BoomPro to Transform you ordinary headphone into a pro... 1 minute ago
- › DACS Compatible with Synology nas directly with USB 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2