Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 197

post #2941 of 3333

Hello Joseph,

giving advice is always easy.... but I think if you have with the SR80 and the SR325is two headphones you really like you should enjoy listening music with them. I have several Gradessandors (SR80, SR325i, HF1, PS500, MS-pro with distancers and G-cush) and I am listening to all of them. This is a luxary but xhat I realized ids that the choice of headphone is depending not only on the type of music I listen and the quality of the recording but also on my shape. I had it once that I was listening one night to a song with the PS500 and found it awsome and the next day I changed to the MS-Pro because the mid-bass hump of the PS500 was too much for me at this moment. So, my advice is if you want to keep things simple, stay with what you have and enjoy the music. I really think this is what hifi is about. Graphs are great. Despite theat they ignor the shape of our ear and sonic education our brain had. This if you have a system you like - enjoy it. Don't change it on something written here. Of course if you have a chance to listen to a RS1 with your music - do it. It is always good to question the establishment and see if it is still valid. So, I stop giving advice. Last word: With any of my gradessandros I would be a happy music listener.

post #2942 of 3333

Anyone here give a listen to their 315i's (Goldies) while driven by the Schiit Audio Lyr?

 

I bought the Lyr because I heard that it works incredibly well with the AKG K701 and makes them a lot more dynamic, with a much fuller sound...which it certainly does. What I didn't realize was how well it would also drive my Grado 325i's that "at times" could sound a tad bright (or hyper focused mainly on the mids/highs) on some music if driven by the wrong amp.

 

The Lyr has way more juice than the Grado's need but in my system it made the 325i a can that now has ALL of the midrange/treble detail as before but with more kick in the bottom end which makes it a more well rounded sounding headphone (to me). I've always liked the real leather headband and the metal earcups of the 325i, though I still LOVE my SR 60i's they just don't feel as solid in comparison. 

 

I've been watching the Headphone For Sale forum here to find a fair price for my mint condition 325i's (sitting back in their box they look brand new) with only 450 hours on them but after hearing them being driven by the Lyr I've had to step back and rethink parting with them. 

 

Just curious, is it common for the L-Cush pads to fully surround your ears or for most of you do these pads simply rest "on" your ears? I know that the larger $45 G-Cush is meant to be a circumaural pad but the L-Cush is for me as well but without moving the driver farther from the ear as with the G-Cush. No big deal, just curious if this was common. 

 

Anyone here compare the newer PS500 to the 325i? I don't know anyone that owns the PS500 nor is there a store to hear them locally. 

 

Thanks. 

post #2943 of 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddin View Post

Hello Joseph,

giving advice is always easy.... but I think if you have with the SR80 and the SR325is two headphones you really like you should enjoy listening music with them. I have several Gradessandors (SR80, SR325i, HF1, PS500, MS-pro with distancers and G-cush) and I am listening to all of them. This is a luxary but xhat I realized ids that the choice of headphone is depending not only on the type of music I listen and the quality of the recording but also on my shape. I had it once that I was listening one night to a song with the PS500 and found it awsome and the next day I changed to the MS-Pro because the mid-bass hump of the PS500 was too much for me at this moment. So, my advice is if you want to keep things simple, stay with what you have and enjoy the music. I really think this is what hifi is about. Graphs are great. Despite theat they ignor the shape of our ear and sonic education our brain had. This if you have a system you like - enjoy it. Don't change it on something written here. Of course if you have a chance to listen to a RS1 with your music - do it. It is always good to question the establishment and see if it is still valid. So, I stop giving advice. Last word: With any of my gradessandros I would be a happy music listener.

Thanks for the advice!

Your right about the musics recording, Ive also realised this when listening to the 325's, there sound is very affected by the recording, where as the 80's are not as effected. I have also experienced what you said about listening with the 325's one night and saying WOW that was awesome then switching to the 80's the next night and thinking maybe there was too much mid bass with the 325's, so this can get annoying, but yes I do enjoy both of them, and it all depends on so much,(unfortunately). Now you even said it your self, (like everyone else says), if I get the chance to listen to the RS1, do it. This is what is driving me a little crazy, I'm thinking they will give me the sound of both the 80's and the 325's, and I'm dying to hear them. And by all means you're 100% right about just enjoying the music, and sometimes I may be a little critical about it, especially when switching black and forth and liking certain things better about each headphone, wishing I can have this in one. Thanks again for your advice.

post #2944 of 3333

Proud new owner of Grado SR325is #5493. I didn't realize until after I got them that these are in fact part of the chrome run! Makes them a little more special to me. They sound absolutely fantastic, I don't have any qualms about saying these are the best headphones I've ever experienced. Really glad to be counted among your ranks now :)

post #2945 of 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitbender View Post

Proud new owner of Grado SR325is #5493. I didn't realize until after I got them that these are in fact part of the chrome run! Makes them a little more special to me. They sound absolutely fantastic, I don't have any qualms about saying these are the best headphones I've ever experienced. Really glad to be counted among your ranks now :)

  Congrats! Enjoy, the chromies look great.


Edited by whirlwind - 7/12/13 at 5:43pm
post #2946 of 3333
What does people mean by these have quality control issues ?? Do these things break easy and need to be sent for repairs often? I'm very interested in getting a set of these but not if they will break on me within the first few months kinda thing ?
post #2947 of 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

What does people mean by these have quality control issues ?? Do these things break easy and need to be sent for repairs often? I'm very interested in getting a set of these but not if they will break on me within the first few months kinda thing ?


I don't think they mean in terms of overall quality. What they are referring to is you can take two of the exact same model phone and they can, in some cases, sound somewhat different. The drivers are matched more closely the higher up in the line you go so I would think it is more prevalent with, say an SR60i than the 325is, but it can happen. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the differences I have heard, when I have heard any at all, were very very small.

post #2948 of 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post

Anyone here give a listen to their 315i's (Goldies) while driven by the Schiit Audio Lyr?

 

I bought the Lyr because I heard that it works incredibly well with the AKG K701 and makes them a lot more dynamic, with a much fuller sound...which it certainly does. What I didn't realize was how well it would also drive my Grado 325i's that "at times" could sound a tad bright (or hyper focused mainly on the mids/highs) on some music if driven by the wrong amp.

 

The Lyr has way more juice than the Grado's need but in my system it made the 325i a can that now has ALL of the midrange/treble detail as before but with more kick in the bottom end which makes it a more well rounded sounding headphone (to me). I've always liked the real leather headband and the metal earcups of the 325i, though I still LOVE my SR 60i's they just don't feel as solid in comparison. 

 

I've been watching the Headphone For Sale forum here to find a fair price for my mint condition 325i's (sitting back in their box they look brand new) with only 450 hours on them but after hearing them being driven by the Lyr I've had to step back and rethink parting with them. 

 

Just curious, is it common for the L-Cush pads to fully surround your ears or for most of you do these pads simply rest "on" your ears? I know that the larger $45 G-Cush is meant to be a circumaural pad but the L-Cush is for me as well but without moving the driver farther from the ear as with the G-Cush. No big deal, just curious if this was common. 

 

Anyone here compare the newer PS500 to the 325i? I don't know anyone that owns the PS500 nor is there a store to hear them locally. 

 

Thanks. 

 

I'm pretty sure that's not real leather on the stock 325.  Shame that it isn't but it certainly is an improvement over SR60/80/125/225.

 

Unless you have really small ears, then bowls are on-ear.

 

If you get your hands on some aftermarket leather headband for your headphone, I may be willing to buy the stock 325 headband from you then.  wink.gif

Unless I DIY one for my 225i before then.

post #2949 of 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


I don't think they mean in terms of overall quality. What they are referring to is you can take two of the exact same model phone and they can, in some cases, sound somewhat different. The drivers are matched more closely the higher up in the line you go so I would think it is more prevalent with, say an SR60i than the 325is, but it can happen. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the differences I have heard, when I have heard any at all, were very very small.
Oh ok I understand now. Thank you. I've read a lot on here about them and seems like they have somewhat of a following like etymotic er4s do. So I'm very interested In getting a pair. And like you were saying the differences are probably very small but there. I would really like to go up the line a little more but they can get pretty expensive. I'm more of a iem kinda guy but I bought a alo continental v3 tube amp recently for my Westone w4r iems so I really want to try it with some nice over head cans like these. I think they my pair very well with this amp. Does anyone one on here have the same amp as me. And if so how does it sound with it??? Thanks again smily_headphones1.gif
post #2950 of 3333

Are these the best phones in their price bracket?

post #2951 of 3333

As far as Grados, yes.  biggrin.gif

post #2952 of 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackzack View Post

Are these the best phones in their price bracket?

If you are referring to the 325is model, they are excellent headphones IMO. But from my experience they greatly benefit from the right source, as far as music source, amplification and DAC. I have three different amps, two different DAC's and two different music players (Cd, MBP), and two out of the three amps (LD1+, Magni) perform excellent with the (Modi DAC) with the 325is, where as my third amp (Adcom GFP-710) and my second DAC (Meridian 203) do not perform nearly as well with the 325is. I also have the 80i's, which will perform great with all of the sources that I have, so the 325's seem to be much more picky as to the sources, but when they have the right sources, they really shine. As to your original question " are these the best phones in their price bracket ", I"m a firm believer that the best doesn't mean much to me, I believe the best is what is best sounding to the individual., and these are the only one of the two 300$ headphones that I've ever owned, the other being the Alessandro MS2i, which was not for my personnel tastes, and at this point I would see no reason in spending more than 300$ for a headphone that performs this well, at least for me. Hope this was helpful for you if you are in doubt of the 325is, like I was myself when I had the wrong sources for them.

post #2953 of 3333

Anyone knows a good deal for these cans?

post #2954 of 3333
Several solid deals in the classifieds if you don't mind used.
post #2955 of 3333

If you buy the 325i new...it will cost you $295 anywhere that you but it....I have never witnessed this headphone on sale....most Grados do not go on sale.

 

You can grab a nice second hand pair for around $200.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.