Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 193

post #2881 of 3316

What does your high end equipment concist of ?

And what where you listening to them out of before that ?

post #2882 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

What does your high end equipment concist of ?

And what where you listening to them out of before that ?


 My good system consists of a Parasound cd player and a Headroom Ultra amplifier, before that I was listening through my pc and a Little Dot 2 amplifier, not the new one, the older one, and a real cheap dac I bought off ebay some years ago. It actually sounds pretty good, mostly I think cause I just like that 'tube' sound. I have already decided to upgrade that system to a Schiit Bifrost and either a Valhalla or Lyr, but for now, that's what I got.

post #2883 of 3316

Was just curious because I listen through my older stereo equipment- Adcom GFP 710 and Sony CDP-C801ES and Meridian203 DAC, and my SR80i's (Vibrolabs classic wooden cups & L cushions), sound much more detailed than my SR325is's, through all of the same sources, so I'm just trying to figure out why. Thanks.

post #2884 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Was just curious because I listen through my older stereo equipment- Adcom GFP 710 and Sony CDP-C801ES and Meridian203 DAC, and my SR80i's (Vibrolabs classic wooden cups & L cushions), sound much more detailed than my SR325is's, through all of the same sources, so I'm just trying to figure out why. Thanks.


Yeah good question, the longer I am involved with this hobby the more I don't understand about why headphone A sounds better on system B but headphone B sounds better on system A. It's all about that synergy everybody talks about but what makes one piece of equipment meld better than another is up for debate.

post #2885 of 3316

Like I said, I have no problem with the sound of the 80's from these sources, but the 325's aren't as clear and detailed ( I didn't realize this until I re-purchased the 80's, and then realized they where much clear and more detailed than the 325's. I am considering purchasing a Shiit Magni/Modi combo to hear if there is any difference in the 325's. I'm thinking that the Adcom has too much bass for the 325's and is hideing all of the detail, where as with the 80's it is fine, being that they have less lower frequency response. I listen to both headphones with the tone controls (OFF) because i don't like to manipulate the sound, even though i can decrease the bass, I don't like doing that, I would rather hear them (FLAT).

Also don't get me wrong , my 325's soung amazing out of my Adcom, but like I said, just not as clear and detailed.

post #2886 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Like I said, I have no problem with the sound of the 80's from these sources, but the 325's aren't as clear and detailed ( I didn't realize this until I re-purchased the 80's, and then realized they where much clear and more detailed than the 325's. I am considering purchasing a Shiit Magni/Modi combo to hear if there is any difference in the 325's. I'm thinking that the Adcom has too much bass for the 325's and is hideing all of the detail, where as with the 80's it is fine, being that they have less lower frequency response. I listen to both headphones with the tone controls (OFF) because i don't like to manipulate the sound, even though i can decrease the bass, I don't like doing that, I would rather hear them (FLAT).

Also don't get me wrong , my 325's soung amazing out of my Adcom, but like I said, just not as clear and detailed.

That shouldn't be the case. In my experience, comparing the SR-60 to the SR325i, there was no competition. The sound signatures are similar, but the SR-325i's are much smoother. IMO, all things the same either you got an amazing example of SR-80s, or you got a bad example of SR-325i's.

 

Unless a changed sound signature really affects you more than clarity. Sometimes improved treble sounds "detailed", when in fact it isn't.

post #2887 of 3316

I totally understand where you are coming from, and yes the 325's are smoother without a doubt, but there definitley not as clear as my 80's, even before I put the (wooden). cups on and the (L) cushions. There is even more separation with the 80's in the instruments and everything is much clearer, crisper  and the background is black as black can get. And I'm not mistaken the higher frequencies for more detail in any way, I hear much more micro details with the 80's. The 325's just don't sound as realistic, (life like) spacious and detailed as the 80's. I really don't quite understand this myself!!! Yes the 325's are a more fuller, richer, smoother sounding headphone, but I don't know what it is with these headphones, I can even place the instrument on the soundstage much better. This is why I'm lead to believe I should try another amp for the 325's, yet the same setup works better with the 80's in terms of what I explained. I just don't know!!! Someone help me out here!!! Does anyone else own these two headphones and hear what I hear using the same sources? (I know I already asked this question before in a prior post but... Whats going on here?

BTW, I know in the past I've described the 325's to sound like 80's on steroids... I must say, from what I'm hearing, I take that back.


Edited by joseph69 - 6/8/13 at 6:53pm
post #2888 of 3316

I have the old version of the SR80 (my first Grados!) and the goldie version of the SR325i. But the SR80 are at work so I can't do a direct A/B comparison right now. The SR325i was my second Grado. When it arrived, I was disappointed first because I did not hear much difference to the SR80. Of course both are Grados and they share their sound signature. But what I appreciate about the SR325i is their clarity and their bass. For my ears they manage to put bass and mids in a really nice balance. Another difference is for me the soundstage. The SR325i sounds for me as if the music is happening in a bigger space whereas with the SR80 it seems to be more condensed. But these are minor differences because for both SR80 and SR325i the soundstage is not too big compared to my DT1350 or the Alessandro MS-Pro with distancers and G-cush.

While time passed also the PS500 took camp here. I am aware this is technically a great headphone but in comparison there is too much bass for me. There are always changes in my listening behavior. Sometimes the MS-pro is my favourite, sometimes the HF-1, but I always come back to the SR325i. They have something. I think the PS500 are technically the better headphones but I like their tonality only for certain albums. The SR325i is for me more an allrounder (what people here say about the PS500). I never really went back to the SR80. I kept it more for sentimental reasons (my first Grado...) but I also have to say that everytime I listen to it at work, it strikes me because it has all that is in there for the Grado sound. For me the SR325i offers this more refined.

Maybe it is the housing that has changed the sonic signature of your SR80 though people seem to debate about this.

Anyway, I will take the SR80 back from work for an A/B comparison. To be able to write something more solid and not only based on the foggy shades of my sonic memory.
 

post #2889 of 3316
I tried a pair of these once, pretty sweet sounding.

Does anyone know if there is a large difference in sound from these and the sr60s?

If not, do you think the sound justifies 3x the price?
post #2890 of 3316

I pretty much felt that the 325i was the sweet spot for great sound and build quality.

 

@  kyokosakura.....the SR60i's have the base Grado sound signature and for $79 US dollars are a great buy!

 

The 325i's are $295 US dollars.....so they over 3 times as much....but they have much more detail and the build quality is much better.....leather headband, thicker cable,metal cups.....they are a nice deal imho at $295 and you can pick up a second hand pair for around $200.

 

I sold mine on the forums here a few months ago for $200 plus shipping......the 325i is a great headphone.


Edited by whirlwind - 6/9/13 at 4:45am
post #2891 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddin View Post

I have the old version of the SR80 (my first Grados!) and the goldie version of the SR325i. But the SR80 are at work so I can't do a direct A/B comparison right now. The SR325i was my second Grado. When it arrived, I was disappointed first because I did not hear much difference to the SR80. Of course both are Grados and they share their sound signature. But what I appreciate about the SR325i is their clarity and their bass. For my ears they manage to put bass and mids in a really nice balance. Another difference is for me the soundstage. The SR325i sounds for me as if the music is happening in a bigger space whereas with the SR80 it seems to be more condensed. But these are minor differences because for both SR80 and SR325i the soundstage is not too big compared to my DT1350 or the Alessandro MS-Pro with distancers and G-cush.

While time passed also the PS500 took camp here. I am aware this is technically a great headphone but in comparison there is too much bass for me. There are always changes in my listening behavior. Sometimes the MS-pro is my favourite, sometimes the HF-1, but I always come back to the SR325i. They have something. I think the PS500 are technically the better headphones but I like their tonality only for certain albums. The SR325i is for me more an allrounder (what people here say about the PS500). I never really went back to the SR80. I kept it more for sentimental reasons (my first Grado...) but I also have to say that everytime I listen to it at work, it strikes me because it has all that is in there for the Grado sound. For me the SR325i offers this more refined.

Maybe it is the housing that has changed the sonic signature of your SR80 though people seem to debate about this.

Anyway, I will take the SR80 back from work for an A/B comparison. To be able to write something more solid and not only based on the foggy shades of my sonic memory.
 

I do agree that the 325is has more bass and is a more refined sounding headphone and I do absolutely love it, I'm just getting more micro detail clearer, crisper sound out of the 80i's for some reason, but it is not as rich, full or as smooth as the 325is. Anyway I appreciate you doing the A/B test, let me know what you think.

BTW this was even so before I did any changes to the 80i.

 And also what you say about your memory as far as being foggy, is a great way to describe the detail and clarity differences that I hear between the two that I own. Thanks.

post #2892 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I do agree that the 325is has more bass and is a more refined sounding headphone and I do absolutely love it, I'm just getting more micro detail clearer, crisper sound out of the 80i's for some reason, but it is not as rich, full or as smooth as the 325is. Anyway I appreciate you doing the A/B test, let me know what you think.

BTW this was even so before I did any changes to the 80i.

 And also what you say about your memory as far as being foggy, is a great way to describe the detail and clarity differences that I hear between the two that I own. Thanks.


I think you must just have a really really good sr80, before I sold them I did a lot of listening to my sr125i and my new 325is phones, and especially in terms of clarity and detail the 325's had it all over the 125's. As a matter of fact IMHO I think those two things along with bass extension are the main things the 325 does better than all the other phones in the SR lineup. I am still sorry I sold my 125's, for some stupid reason I still miss having those around.

post #2893 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Like I said, I have no problem with the sound of the 80's from these sources, but the 325's aren't as clear and detailed ( I didn't realize this until I re-purchased the 80's, and then realized they where much clear and more detailed than the 325's. I am considering purchasing a Shiit Magni/Modi combo to hear if there is any difference in the 325's. I'm thinking that the Adcom has too much bass for the 325's and is hideing all of the detail, where as with the 80's it is fine, being that they have less lower frequency response. I listen to both headphones with the tone controls (OFF) because i don't like to manipulate the sound, even though i can decrease the bass, I don't like doing that, I would rather hear them (FLAT).

Also don't get me wrong , my 325's soung amazing out of my Adcom, but like I said, just not as clear and detailed.

I found the Magni/Modi combo to be unlistenable with the 325is, Very harsh and piercing highs, YMMV.  The Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber or even Asgard 2/Modi combos were a better, albeit not perfect, match.  I still needed the T-shirt mod to tone down the shrillness of some recordings. Oh, and this is with the G-Cush pads installed.  Stock pads were better WRT to the shrillness, but still not good with the magni, IMHO.  Magni was much better with the HD650's, if that helps for perspective.

post #2894 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

I found the Magni/Modi combo to be unlistenable with the 325is, Very harsh and piercing highs, YMMV.  The Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber or even Asgard 2/Modi combos were a better, albeit not perfect, match.  I still needed the T-shirt mod to tone down the shrillness of some recordings. Oh, and this is with the G-Cush pads installed.  Stock pads were better WRT to the shrillness, but still not good with the magni, IMHO.  Magni was much better with the HD650's, if that helps for perspective.

You see, while most people think that the 325's are harsh sounding, I totally disagree with this according to the pair that I own. They are not harsh in any way at all, as a matter of fact they could use some more highs.

The only reason I was aiming toward the Magni/Modi is because my Adcom GFP-710 sounds great with the 80's and prior to purchasing the 80's it sounded great with the 325is's (so I thought). So I really don't think it is the amp so I am not going to spend a chunk of change when I already have a nice sounding headphone out on the Adcom. In reality all I need is the Magni because I have a DAC already, so for 100$ it might be worth it, especially if it makes the 325 sound a little brighter and clearer like you mentioned, and othera have also mentioned in some posts I have read.

post #2895 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


I think you must just have a really really good sr80, before I sold them I did a lot of listening to my sr125i and my new 325is phones, and especially in terms of clarity and detail the 325's had it all over the 125's. As a matter of fact IMHO I think those two things along with bass extension are the main things the 325 does better than all the other phones in the SR lineup. I am still sorry I sold my 125's, for some stupid reason I still miss having those around.

I know the 325is's  are supposed to have more detail and clarity, and they are, but not as much as the 80i's, and I don't know why.

If my 325's had the detail, separation and clarity of the 80's, and the smoothness and richer sound of the 325's, they would be the ultimate headphones!!! And I'm really not that interested in purchasing RS1's for 795$ to be let down by thinking the 80 and the 325 equal the RS1's, though I never heard the RS1's. I am not in any way putting the RS1's down at all, I just think that the price tag is a little crazy, especially compared to the prices I payed for my current headphones and they are both excellent for the price, it's just that my 325's should be if not just as clear and detailed, more clear and detailed than the 80's and they are definitely not. Yes I can hear smaller details with the 325's, but only after hearing then with the 80's first and knowing that they exist, and having to find them while listening, where as with the 80's I can't miss them at all.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.