Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. - Page 192

post #2866 of 3322

It somewhat also depends on the amp you use, My magni causes shrillness, where my Taboo MKIII, Asgard 2, and modded xFi card do not.

 

That being said I also but the G-cush and T-shirt mod on mine and it helps tame the highs some.


Edited by bearFNF - 5/21/13 at 4:18pm
post #2867 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

It somewhat also depends on the amp you use, My magni causes shrillness, where my Taboo MKIII, Asgard 2, and modded xFi card do not.

 

That being said I also but the G-cush and T-shirt mod on mine and it helps tame the highs some.

 

Yeah, I read somewhere about using the headphone out on the Xonar E1 versus using the headphone out on an amp through the speaker out. There's a big difference. The headphone out simply has more shrillness to it compared to the speaker out.

 

It's just one of those things. Between Grado and Sennheiser, grados give you a more "live" sound, and that comes in part because of the shrillness and that great response in the treble. I think the Sennheiser folks think that treble is fatiguing and the proper expression of treble is that you know it's there but it's not accentuated. I keep on reading how the HD600 and HD650 are very similar, it's just that the HD650 is more "euphonic", and the HD800 is the most "euphonic". I haven't heard them, but I think that indicates the difference in philosophies - the sennheisers are designed to make stuff sound good, and the grados more closely replicate "live"

 

At least those are my two cents. I could always just EQ the frequency differences out...

post #2868 of 3322

I was just reading a post on another web site and someone hinted that there were several different variations of the 325is. Anybody know if this is true or not? If so what are the differences?

post #2869 of 3322

I believe what they meant by different variations is that the sound signatures vary and are not consistent, some being overly bright in the higher frequencies, and some not. I own a pair of 325is's that are definitely not overly bright, they're beautiful in sound. Some tend to believe it is the QC of the factory, I think it may be ones personal hearing.


Edited by joseph69 - 5/23/13 at 2:20pm
post #2870 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

It somewhat also depends on the amp you use, My magni causes shrillness, where my Taboo MKIII, Asgard 2, and modded xFi card do not.

 

That being said I also but the G-cush and T-shirt mod on mine and it helps tame the highs some.

 

I think that's the issue here, and it's almost as old as recorded music itself: no two listening systems are exactly alike, and everything from the quality (or lack thereof) of source material to the transducers themselves  have an impact. The primary means of listening with my Grado 325is cans is through my home hi-fi (carefully-chosen and assembled gear that constitutes "entry-level" high end, except for the vinyl rig, which once cost a small fortune). The Grados generally sound great through this setup, with both analog and digital source material, but they are revealing to the point that they won't entirely suffer lousy recordings gladly, but they won't render them unlistenable.

 

Plugging these cans directly into a laptop or desktop computer can be a bit of a crapshoot: I couldn't in good faith pass judgement on a set of headphones that are intended for fairly critical (as well as enjoyable) listening by hooking them up to a device where music listening is merely a side function: even for a single-purpose device like my iPod classic, the Grados are quite good, but I'll grab my Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs instead, because they simply work better in the environment I usually find myself with the iPod. For me, no single set of cans can cover my listening needs anywhere I happen to be. (Not a bad excuse for buying both!) wink_face.gif

 

 

- Barrett

post #2871 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I believe what they meant by different variations is that the sound signatures vary and are not consistent, some being overly bright in the higher frequencies, and some not. I own a pair of 325is's that are definitely not overly bright, they're beautiful in sound. Some tend to believe it is the QC of the factory, I think it may be ones personal hearing.


 I fully agree, I just auditioned some 325is at the local audio store and they were anything but overly bright. Very smooth and detailed is how I would describe the sound.

post #2872 of 3322

I finally got my SR325is phones, serial #7698. Got them used from ebay but I don't think they were even burned in good, they are sounding a lot better now than when I first started listening earlier this evening. I think they still have quite a ways to go to be really 100% ready to go, but they are getting there.

 I was just listening to the opening bass line in 'I love you' on the Mirrorball cd and just said Wow would you listen to that, forgetting no one else could hear it, but it was just perfect.. I love these phones, getting better by the minute.


Edited by HPiper - 5/30/13 at 11:14pm
post #2873 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post

I finally got my SR325is phones, serial #7698. Got them used from ebay but I don't think they were even burned in good, they are sounding a lot better now than when I first started listening earlier this evening. I think they still have quite a ways to go to be really 100% ready to go, but they are getting there.

 I was just listening to the opening bass line in 'I love you' on the Mirrorball cd and just said Wow would you listen to that, forgetting no one else could hear it, but it was just perfect.. I love these phones, getting better by the minute.

Which artist is that by?

post #2874 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob54 View Post

Which artist is that by?


Sarah McLachlan

post #2875 of 3322

Came back to these headphones after a few years, and they still really blow me away even fresh out of the box. 

 

Does anyone know if there's any actual danger to the hardware from connecting them to a high-powered amplifier? I can never get a straight answer out of anyone, even after all these years. Essentially, I'd like to use mine with my Bottlehead Crack; they seem to require nearly as much power to fully wake up as my HD600, but the internet's always like "Oh, you don't want to do that." WELL MAYBE I DO, INTERNET. 

 

Erm. Sorry.

 

So yeah, if it sounds good, is there any real danger to the equipment in attaching something that's 32 ohm to an amp that is recommended for 300 ohm phones?

post #2876 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio View Post

Came back to these headphones after a few years, and they still really blow me away even fresh out of the box. 

 

Does anyone know if there's any actual danger to the hardware from connecting them to a high-powered amplifier? I can never get a straight answer out of anyone, even after all these years. Essentially, I'd like to use mine with my Bottlehead Crack; they seem to require nearly as much power to fully wake up as my HD600, but the internet's always like "Oh, you don't want to do that." WELL MAYBE I DO, INTERNET. 

 

Erm. Sorry.

 

So yeah, if it sounds good, is there any real danger to the equipment in attaching something that's 32 ohm to an amp that is recommended for 300 ohm phones?


Not really, that's why amps usually have a volume control, As long as it sounds good, it is good. If you are seriously worried about it just make sure you have the volume all the way down before you plug them in or out. My Solid-State amp is dead silent but my tube amp produces a pop if I turn it on with the headphones plugged in unless I turn the volume all the way down first, so I just got into the habit of turning it all the way down before I turn it off and have had no damage at all to my Grados or Sennheisers.

post #2877 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post


Not really, that's why amps usually have a volume control, As long as it sounds good, it is good. If you are seriously worried about it just make sure you have the volume all the way down before you plug them in or out. My Solid-State amp is dead silent but my tube amp produces a pop if I turn it on with the headphones plugged in unless I turn the volume all the way down first, so I just got into the habit of turning it all the way down before I turn it off and have had no damage at all to my Grados or Sennheisers.

 

I always unplug before I turn the Bottlehead on or off, so no problem there.

 

I'm actually amazed how silent it is, even with sensitive headphones; no hum or buzz at all. I can't recommend the kit enough. 

post #2878 of 3322

Just received my 325is phones from B&H Photo.

Serial# 15313

Finally, thanks to this forum I’ve completed my headphone search.   These were exactly what I was looking for, for use at home.  I’ve been using my Sennheiser Amperiors at work because of their closed back and I was looking for a headphone with similar sound but with and open back and this fits that need perfectly.  I listen to primarily rock and metal so a bright headphone with forward mids is what sounds best to my ears.  As far as comfort, am not sure if I just have a smaller head but these like my Amperiors are very comfortable (even after 6 hours) where most people say the opposite.  Anyways, thanks to the people in this thread for helping me make the right decision.

post #2879 of 3322

Just got my SR325is today (serial #10684) from a fellow Head-Fier and have been giving them a listen for the last hour. I'll keep myself from writing out any initial impressions until a little more listening time. Been throwing all of the metal from my high school years (Megadeth, Pantera, Metallica, etc...) through them and it's turning out to be a pretty nostalgic day. Enjoying what I'm hearing so far.

post #2880 of 3322

Been putting some more time on my 325is phones. I was a bit disappointed at first as they didn't sound all that much better than my 225i's. Just on a whim I decided to switch to my high end listening equipment and all I can say is that maybe Grado's are easy to amp, but at the same time, at least the 325is, really respond to good a  good source and a good amplifier. Now they sound like I thought they would when I bought them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.