Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best Amp for an M-DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Amp for an M-DAC

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Some people from the computer source forum reffered me to ask amp questions here. So I'm starting my first setup, but I plan to not be cheap and have a great experience . So far I already plan to or already have a:

Source: Desktop, Foobar with KS or ASIO, (WAV or FLAC)
Phones: Sennheiser HD650 with the cardas cable upgrade
DAC : HeadRoom Micro DAC via Hi-Grade USB

So all I need to decide is which Amp would work best with this setup. I'm looking for the best Amp, either a tube or solid-state amp, at a price range of around or below $300. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks .
post #2 of 10
For the HD-650, you can't go wrong with either the Gilmore Lite (w/o DPS) or Creek OBH-21 (preferably w/ regulated PSU). I can attest both work very well with the phones - powerful-, forward- and clean-sounding. I suggest against the Headfive as it does not have much synergy with the HD-650.

Regards.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Ehh both those AMPs aren't compatible with the M-DAC . I've heard some things about the CKKIII, is this amp good and is it compatible with my DAC?
post #4 of 10
How is the Gilmore Lite incompatible with the M-DAC?
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Luvr View Post
Ehh both those AMPs aren't compatible with the M-DAC . I've heard some things about the CKKIII, is this amp good and is it compatible with my DAC?
Yes, explain why you think these amps aren't compatible...
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
I'm a big fool I followed my little cousin's word over yours sorry guy. I'm guessing the Gilmore Lite is better than the OBH-21 and CKKIII by the way you defended it, no?
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Luvr View Post
I'm a big fool I followed my little cousin's word over yours sorry guy. I'm guessing the Gilmore Lite is better than the OBH-21 and CKKIII by the way you defended it, no?
The Gilmore Lite is a comparatively forward-sounding amp to the Creek OBH-21 (which in turn has a tighter bass response - good for controlling the HD-650 bass). Both are excellent partners for the HD-650.

Cheers!

p.s. My opinion of the Gilmore Lite is with the DPS in use. I'm sure it won't be that much worse off with the standard PSU. I have never heard of and heard the CKKIII.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ighlight=ckiii
That's the CKKIII

The Gilmore Lite is lacking in the bass department or the OBH-21 just beats it?
post #9 of 10
The OBH-21 has a tighter bass response (which is good IMO, but can be perceived as 'lacking some bass' by those used to volumes of bass). Both Headamp and Creek amps do bass nicely, if fairly differently.

Cheers!
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorander View Post

The OBH-21 has a tighter bass response (which is good IMO, but can be perceived as 'lacking some bass' by those used to volumes of bass). Both Headamp and Creek amps do bass nicely, if fairly differently.

Cheers!

 Hi all,

I'm planning on running an M-DAC with Creek Destiny integrated, anyone use this setup or have any input.  The creek sound is so clean and midrange so smooth I'd think it would be hard to go wrong with it (I'm currently using an HRT Streamer II and its WOW but only USB in).

 

Thanks,

Cory

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best Amp for an M-DAC