Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Impulse buy - Entech 205.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Impulse buy - Entech 205.2 - Page 5

post #61 of 66
Yeah, I really can't say for certain without a stock unit to compare it too. But it seems more open and a little more detail revealing than the OPA2134. I dont think the overall spectral balance has changed much, although the highs seem a little smoother and less edgy.

And its certainly better all around than my DVD player line out by itself.

Anyhow, here are some pics.



post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
Yeah, I really can't say for certain without a stock unit to compare it too. But it seems more open and a little more detail revealing than the OPA2134. I dont think the overall spectral balance has changed much, although the highs seem a little smoother and less edgy.
I agree the percussion of the 2134 seems to "slap" a bit, not sharp but just harder. The 2107 sounds more natural in the treble with more focus in the midrange. Also the bass with the 2107 seems tighter in comparison to the 2134. But I'm splitting hairs, the overall balance is similar and sounds more like a Crystal DAC than anything else.
post #63 of 66
After some more critical listening, the highs have DEFINITELY smoothed out with the 2107. Some James Labrie vocals that previously were sibilant and harsh in the treble are Smooth and very natural sounding. I think theres a little more midrange/bass boost too. It seems to synnergize well with my PPA.

Unfortunately, its not the easiest mod to perform. So I am hesitant to recommend it despite how good it sounds. If you are REALLY experienced with circuit troubleshooting, and know how to root-cause OP amp oscillation it might be a mod to consider.

I am painting the bedroom so I had to move some gear from the night stand to the guest-room. Heres a pic...
post #64 of 66
haha, you used cardomain to host the picture - clever.

that setup looks pretty hardcore. is the lineout on the 205.2 ridiculouly loud?
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlikeseatin View Post
haha, you used cardomain to host the picture - clever.

that setup looks pretty hardcore. is the lineout on the 205.2 ridiculouly loud?
Its actually pretty mid-level by head-fi standards.

I Don't know what on earth they were trying to accomplish by setting a 2.5V RCA output

My earmax loves it, my PPA hates it. But at least neither clips or distorts. I have to turn my PPA volume way down, to compensate. Fortunately the channel balance is even at that setting, any volume higher than ~8:30 is unlistenably loud.

I have to DIY an attenuator cable for the PPA in order to get more range out of the volume knob.
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
After some more critical listening, the highs have DEFINITELY smoothed out with the 2107. Some James Labrie vocals that previously were sibilant and harsh in the treble are Smooth and very natural sounding. I think theres a little more midrange/bass boost too. It seems to synnergize well with my PPA.

Unfortunately, its not the easiest mod to perform. So I am hesitant to recommend it despite how good it sounds. If you are REALLY experienced with circuit troubleshooting, and know how to root-cause OP amp oscillation it might be a mod to consider.

I am painting the bedroom so I had to move some gear from the night stand to the guest-room. Heres a pic...

I've got AD825's in my Entech and the sound is superb! Night and day better than stock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Impulse buy - Entech 205.2