Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Let's play a game...which Singlepower amp fits me the best?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's play a game...which Singlepower amp fits me the best?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I have PMed a few head-fiers that seemed to be quite knowledgeable about the SP lineup, but I thought I would get a collective opinion from the rest of you audio enthusiasts .

There are so many options for the PPX/MPX/Extreme series and to be frank, I'm quite confused. I'm looking for the amp that will sound best with my HD650s (setup in sig). From what I've read, the PPX3 SLAM (6CG7) should compliment my setup the best, but then again, I'm not quite sure.

The bass and midrange driven by my WA3 are stunning, and I am quite satisfied with the amp (but if a SP amp would make these areas sound better, all the better ). I'm looking for a little more dynamics and punch/aggressiveness in the high-end (especially on cymbal crashes). That being said, which SP lineup/tube combo would you suggest? I would like to avoid the MPX series since those are a little too expensive and it would really be stretching my wallet. Should I consider any of the upgrades listed on Singlepower's site? (power supply capacitor upgrade, rhodium jacks, neutrik locking headphone jack?, etc.)
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 
anyone?
post #3 of 10
I would suggest you consider the PPX3 SLAM, with the 6sn7 input tube upgrade. This is a perfect combination for the hd580/600/650. be sure to get one that is an authentic "SLAM" and has the "texture" control. This will help tailor the sound to your exact needs.

This amp with the 600’s will dispel any myth that the 600's are veiled. In addition you might want to consider getting the ECC adapter so you can use the 12xx7 family of tubes in the input socket.

Happy listening!

- augustwest
post #4 of 10
Good post augustwest! I'm in the same boat as the poster trying to decide what direction to go with my amp purchase.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
I would suggest you consider the PPX3 SLAM, with the 6sn7 input tube upgrade. This is a perfect combination for the hd580/600/650. be sure to get one that is an authentic "SLAM" and has the "texture" control. This will help tailor the sound to your exact needs.

This amp with the 600’s will dispel any myth that the 600's are veiled. In addition you might want to consider getting the ECC adapter so you can use the 12xx7 family of tubes in the input socket.

Happy listening!

- augustwest
That is exactly what I told him. PPX3 SLAM + ECC type #1 adapter.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
That is exactly what I told him. PPX3 SLAM + ECC type #1 adapter.
Pretty sure I'm going to head this route

One question though. Is the ECC adaptor plug and play (do I just attach it to the tube socket?)? I want to buy the PPX SLAM 6SN7 without the adaptor and purchase the adaptor at a later time, I just want to make sure the adaptor doesn't need to be installed inside the unit.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mher6 View Post
Pretty sure I'm going to head this route

One question though. Is the ECC adaptor plug and play (do I just attach it to the tube socket?)? I want to buy the PPX SLAM 6SN7 without the adaptor and purchase the adaptor at a later time, I just want to make sure the adaptor doesn't need to be installed inside the unit.
The adapter fits in the tube socket just like a 6sn7 tube. Then there is a different type of socket on the top of the adapter where the new tube type goes in. See where the brown top of the socket meets with, in this case, the loctal metal base of the 7n7. The adapter is the brown top .... down. The tube is the metal base .... up.


post #8 of 10
You must be on the same wavelength as me because I was going to post up that exact question on the adaptor and saw your post. At least we both have the answer now!
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguru View Post
You must be on the same wavelength as me because I was going to post up that exact question on the adaptor and saw your post. At least we both have the answer now!
That's kind of creepy ..thats twice now.
post #10 of 10
And I PMed saying the SLAM is perfect for the HD650 What are you waiting for, get the 6SN7 PPX3 SLAM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Let's play a game...which Singlepower amp fits me the best?