Edited by negura - 8/16/13 at 10:42am
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 1/17/16 at 3:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 6/23/16 at 3:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Today at 7:51 am in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1647post #24691 of 247658/16/13 at 10:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #24692 of 247658/16/13 at 10:34am
I don't think you need old tubes all the time. I like Psvane tubes a lot, and Sophias are nice also, so some new tubes are nice too.
I picked the psvane 6ns7 for my pinnacle after auditioning lots of vintage tungsols, sylvanias, rcas, and others, some more expensive than the psvanes.post #24693 of 247658/16/13 at 2:12pmpost #24694 of 247658/16/13 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by yawg I disagree. Tube equipment can be very resolving and transparent - besides sounding more "natural". The problem is that ALL tubes that are new, i.e. from factories that are still in business, mostly sound horrible compared to good old ones from the 50s and early sixties, the ones with black plates and triple mica are among the very best. But they are disappearing fast or getting extremely expensive.
Woah, be careful there.
Linearity in tube designs is not approached nearly as easily or as affordably as it is with solid state designs. Maybe if we're talking SETs but you need to be more conservative with the verbiage.post #24695 of 247658/16/13 at 5:01pmpost #24696 of 247658/16/13 at 6:08pmpost #24697 of 247658/16/13 at 7:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by milosz
Oh? No plans for getting a DIY T-2, the ultimate Stax amp? None have ever come up for sale as far as I know, but you never know, someone might need a liver transplant and have to sell his.... or you could contract to have one built....
Along those lines, I wonder what it would go for? Parts alone for a DIY T-2 can range from $2,500 up to over $5,000 depending on how crazy you get with NOS vintage tubes, jewel-like chassis building and things like $1,000 Alps pots or $500 stepped attenuators..... then there's the work involved with building and testing the thing.... and the rarity.... I would think someone might want to ask $7,500 to $10,000 for a DIY T-2 in fabulous casework with nice tubes and top quality attenuator etc....
I'm sitting pretty for a while with the KGSSHV. Sitting down with The Wall and my SR-009/KGSSHV...so satisfying. That I'm gonna stay SS for a while...makes life easier I find (and this is from an old tube guy).post #24698 of 247658/16/13 at 7:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Golfnutz
^ Actually, I was reading on another forum some lawyer dude in Toronto recently built one. I doubt he’ll be selling anytime soon, but you never know down the road. He’s right in your neck of the woods MH. I wonder how many times this guy was sitting in court wishing he was at home working on the T2 (assuming he was some type of trial lawyer).
That's George. He's a great guy. I bought my KGSS from him. Very nice fellow. I should shoot him a PM about a mini-meet: KGSSHV, T2 and your BHSE.post #24699 of 247658/16/13 at 7:20pmpost #24700 of 247658/16/13 at 7:39pmpost #24701 of 247658/16/13 at 8:20pmpost #24702 of 247658/16/13 at 8:26pmpost #24703 of 247658/16/13 at 8:31pmQuote:
Sure, if you can make it. Not sure when/how to pull this together. The summer's been so busy...hopefully the fall slows down a bit.
BTW, sorry, Canada is the Great White North according to the McKenzie brothers (SCTV for the younger Head-fiers):
That said, Minnesota is a whole lot colder than Toronto.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/16/13 at 8:32pmpost #24704 of 247658/16/13 at 8:44pmpost #24705 of 247658/16/13 at 8:45pm
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Koss Dynamic 10 (Auditor) 14 seconds ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 31 seconds ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 32 seconds ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 32 seconds ago
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread - July 16, 2016 43 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Help for the song name. 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › iPod nano 7g losless 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...