Edited by negura - 8/16/13 at 10:42am
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 2/19/15 at 7:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Today at 6:34 am in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
To start this off, i did not pay for my pair of 315. If i had payed for them the disappointment would be vast. I have a pair of SE215 and while they are not my favourite iem, they have their...
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1647post #24691 of 247658/16/13 at 10:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #24692 of 247658/16/13 at 10:34am
I don't think you need old tubes all the time. I like Psvane tubes a lot, and Sophias are nice also, so some new tubes are nice too.
I picked the psvane 6ns7 for my pinnacle after auditioning lots of vintage tungsols, sylvanias, rcas, and others, some more expensive than the psvanes.post #24693 of 247658/16/13 at 2:12pmpost #24694 of 247658/16/13 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by yawg I disagree. Tube equipment can be very resolving and transparent - besides sounding more "natural". The problem is that ALL tubes that are new, i.e. from factories that are still in business, mostly sound horrible compared to good old ones from the 50s and early sixties, the ones with black plates and triple mica are among the very best. But they are disappearing fast or getting extremely expensive.
Woah, be careful there.
Linearity in tube designs is not approached nearly as easily or as affordably as it is with solid state designs. Maybe if we're talking SETs but you need to be more conservative with the verbiage.post #24695 of 247658/16/13 at 5:01pmpost #24696 of 247658/16/13 at 6:08pmpost #24697 of 247658/16/13 at 7:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by milosz
Oh? No plans for getting a DIY T-2, the ultimate Stax amp? None have ever come up for sale as far as I know, but you never know, someone might need a liver transplant and have to sell his.... or you could contract to have one built....
Along those lines, I wonder what it would go for? Parts alone for a DIY T-2 can range from $2,500 up to over $5,000 depending on how crazy you get with NOS vintage tubes, jewel-like chassis building and things like $1,000 Alps pots or $500 stepped attenuators..... then there's the work involved with building and testing the thing.... and the rarity.... I would think someone might want to ask $7,500 to $10,000 for a DIY T-2 in fabulous casework with nice tubes and top quality attenuator etc....
I'm sitting pretty for a while with the KGSSHV. Sitting down with The Wall and my SR-009/KGSSHV...so satisfying. That I'm gonna stay SS for a while...makes life easier I find (and this is from an old tube guy).post #24698 of 247658/16/13 at 7:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Golfnutz
^ Actually, I was reading on another forum some lawyer dude in Toronto recently built one. I doubt he’ll be selling anytime soon, but you never know down the road. He’s right in your neck of the woods MH. I wonder how many times this guy was sitting in court wishing he was at home working on the T2 (assuming he was some type of trial lawyer).
That's George. He's a great guy. I bought my KGSS from him. Very nice fellow. I should shoot him a PM about a mini-meet: KGSSHV, T2 and your BHSE.post #24699 of 247658/16/13 at 7:20pmpost #24700 of 247658/16/13 at 7:39pmpost #24701 of 247658/16/13 at 8:20pmpost #24702 of 247658/16/13 at 8:26pmpost #24703 of 247658/16/13 at 8:31pmQuote:
Sure, if you can make it. Not sure when/how to pull this together. The summer's been so busy...hopefully the fall slows down a bit.
BTW, sorry, Canada is the Great White North according to the McKenzie brothers (SCTV for the younger Head-fiers):
That said, Minnesota is a whole lot colder than Toronto.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 8/16/13 at 8:32pmpost #24704 of 247658/16/13 at 8:44pmpost #24705 of 247658/16/13 at 8:45pm
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 13 seconds ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 49 seconds ago
- › New Beyerdynamic amp A2 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Mr Speaker Alpha DOG with 54", 6 wire braid, DHC Synergy Type 4... 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon 3 minutes ago
- › Greetings from down here to my peeps in the Noble thread 3 minutes ago
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by yfnt
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2