Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1609  

post #24121 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Yup I just checked the local RadioShack store and they have some of those in stock after all.

 

I'm wondering what exactly these ratings mean though. There's the above one for $30 which is rated at 1.5 A, and there's one that's $8 cheaper but only outputs 0.5 A. Is there any advantage to having one over the other if I'm planning to replace the stock 100 V,  ~0.330 A one?

 

Supposedly my Kashimura 120 V -> 100 V transformer is on its way here. I would think the transformer is more versatile than the wall wart, no?

 

Depending on how poor the regulation is from these various UNREGULATED supplies: The problem with using a 1.5 A power supply is it will probably output more voltage than the 0.5 A supply. I would stick with the 0.5 A supply.
post #24122 of 24765
Hm mmk. My transformer arrived yesterday so I'll try it out later today maybe.

I'm not sure if the Radio Shack ones are linear or not, but it did say regulated.
Edited by miceblue - 7/30/13 at 1:07pm
post #24123 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

How come no one talks about the Sigmas? I tried a pair and wasn't too impressed by it, but supposedly they have a natural-sounding soundstage due to the angled drivers or something along those lines.

The Stax Sigma series seem to have about the same efficiency as SR-007 Mk1s (despite what is mentioned in Stax manuals as their efficiency being comparable to Lambdas - they're not), and need a hefty amp to power them well. SRM 1Mk 2 Professional, 717, 727, KGSS, KGSSHV, T2 DIY, Big amp through an SRD-7 Pro all work rather nicely. The Sigma is a bit deficient at either end of the sound spectrum IMHO. The Sigma Pro or Sigma/404 fixed that.


Edited by John Buchanan - 7/30/13 at 5:25pm
post #24124 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post


Isn't the SRM-1/MK2 less expensive than the SRM-T1?

I got my SRM-T1 for less than that, albeit modded.

Indeed, $450 is a bit pushing it for an SRM1 MK2 (typical silver faceplate unit with both Normal and Pro bias jacks), so for $450 you'd expect it to have it recapped/modded or stock mint condition with original box or so at that marked value. Average price for a used unit go for around $350-400 but I've seen some go as low as $250.

 

The only SRM1 MK2's that go for a bit more value $400+ is the SRM1 - MK2 Professional and P.P units (the latter going little bit more). But again value depends on what's been done to the circuitry and other tampering, condition etc.

 

SRM-T1/T1S have a more wild price they are usually sold for and more the demand, the higher the price it gets sold. Prices fluctuate between $250 - $550. Anything over $550 or so is pushing it and a likely chance the seller is just flipping sales just because it is a rare amp and don't pop up as much. Don't let them take advantage of you. 

post #24125 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

How come no one talks about the Sigmas? I tried a pair and wasn't too impressed by it, but supposedly they have a natural-sounding soundstage due to the angled drivers or something along those lines.

The Stax Sigma series seem to have about the same efficiency as SR-007 Mk1s (despite what is mentioned in Stax manuals as their efficiency being comparable to Lambdas - they're not), and need a hefty amp to power them well. SRM 1Mk 2 Professional, 717, 727, KGSS, KGSSHV, T2 DIY, Big amp through an SRD-7 Pro all work rather nicely. The Sigma is a bit deficient at either end of the sound spectrum IMHO. The Sigma Pro or Sigma/404 fixed that.

I heard the Lambda Signature and Sigma Pro on the SRD-7 MK2, as well as the SRM-Xh. I didn't care for the Sigmas so much....they kinda reminded me of the LCD-2, which I don't like.

post #24126 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post

The Stax Sigma series seem to have about the same efficiency as SR-007 Mk1s (despite what is mentioned in Stax manuals as their efficiency being comparable to Lambdas - they're not), and need a hefty amp to power them well. SRM 1Mk 2 Professional, 717, 727, KGSS, KGSSHV, T2 DIY, Big amp through an SRD-7 Pro all work rather nicely. The Sigma is a bit deficient at either end of the sound spectrum IMHO. The Sigma Pro or Sigma/404 fixed that.

Sigmas are just as efficient as the Lambdas that use the same driver design: SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Signature.  You can measure this with your cell phone using a dB level app in a pinch.  They do however require a bit more gain to get the same volume at the ear position since there's a greater distance between the ear and driver in the Sigmas than the Lambdas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Indeed, $450 is a bit pushing it for an SRM1 MK2 (typical silver faceplate unit with both Normal and Pro bias jacks), so for $450 you'd expect it to have it recapped/modded or stock mint condition with original box or so at that marked value. Average price for a used unit go for around $350-400 but I've seen some go as low as $250.

 

The only SRM1 MK2's that go for a bit more value $400+ is the SRM1 - MK2 Professional and P.P units (the latter going little bit more). But again value depends on what's been done to the circuitry and other tampering, condition etc.

 

SRM-T1/T1S have a more wild price they are usually sold for and more the demand, the higher the price it gets sold. Prices fluctuate between $250 - $550. Anything over $550 or so is pushing it and a likely chance the seller is just flipping sales just because it is a rare amp and don't pop up as much. Don't let them take advantage of you. 

The only time I've seen some of the low prices you're advising has been on auctions that nobody caught or amps with damage.  Real world value of the SRM-1 mk2 has been about $400-450 and the T1s go for between $450-650.  Pretty much been that way for half a decade at least.

post #24127 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

The only time I've seen some of the low prices you're advising has been on auctions that nobody caught or amps with damage.  Real world value of the SRM-1 mk2 has been about $400-450 and the T1s go for between $450-650.  Pretty much been that way for half a decade at least.

 

Same experience over the last year here in Europe! At this time costs a used SRM1 mk2 Pro between $400 - 500. The SRM-T1/T1 are more expensive, the SRM-T1 costs $600 - 700 and the SRM-T1S around $800.


Edited by nemomec - 7/30/13 at 9:32pm
post #24128 of 24765

Regarding the recent SRM-252 replacement wall-wart discussion, here's a relevant link:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/wall-ps.html
 

post #24129 of 24765

Hey guys I was browsing Price Japan, looking at the SR-009 price and drooling as usual, and then saw the 007MK2. The abandoned ugly child nobody likes or talks about. Remind me why this Omega sucks again?

 

From my previous reading I remember people hated them because they were rolled off in the extremes and also the coloration? Bass boost and dark upper-mids? Are there insane people who actually prefer this coloration over the SR-009? Or is this just not possible? What else sucks about the MK2? Other than the fact that it's not the Mk1 or the original Omega. I was thinking this coloration might work for those of us who actually listen to some pop?

post #24130 of 24765

mk2 has a port near the cable entry thus eliminating a proper seal.  Results in a bump in the midbass and a roll off from there.  This doesn't happen when you have a full seal, so you can always spritzer mod your mk2 and plug the port.  Advantages of the mk2 are better earpads and a better cable strain relief. 

post #24131 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

If Stax made all different kinds of specialized speakers, turntable parts, and other components, how come none of them are ever mentioned on this thread?

 

They do show up from time-to-time in auctions in Japan. I think Stax went ultra-hi-fi crazy before the market was ready for it. If they'd made all that gear now or even a few years ago they wouldn't have gone bust I reckon. One of their ex-engineers now has a company, Fidelix, that makes DSD DACs and very compact Class-AB amps.  Since they are mates, I've been trying to get him to get together with Take-T to build a headphone system.

post #24132 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

mk2 has a port near the cable entry thus eliminating a proper seal.  Results in a bump in the midbass and a roll off from there.  This doesn't happen when you have a full seal, so you can always spritzer mod your mk2 and plug the port.  Advantages of the mk2 are better earpads and a better cable strain relief. 

Yeah I remember reading something about this. Something about trying to reduce the Stax fart. I'll try to look this mod up. Thanks n3rding!

 

This is the only Omega that's available within a reasonable price range for me personally. I really can't spend 009 kind of money no matter how good it is unless my fortunes change. I guess I could always try to find a used MK1... but I don't like buying things that have been out of production for awhile.

 

*It's funny how I was going to get the LCD-2 R2 + 2170 and now I'm looking at the 007MK2. This place... rolleyes.gif


Edited by M-13 - 7/30/13 at 10:52pm
post #24133 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

 

*It's funny how I was going to get the LCD-2 R2 + 2170 and now I'm looking at the 007MK2. This place... rolleyes.gif

You're doing the right thing wink.gif

post #24134 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyre View Post

Regarding the recent SRM-252 replacement wall-wart discussion, here's a relevant link:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/wall-ps.html
 

Leaping lizards that clears up a lot of things! Thank you for posting that!

post #24135 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post

You're doing the right thing wink.gif

Can I give you my wife's number so you can talk to her for me?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)