^ It started with this comment, which I think is totally valid. How does one know what a reference amp is for an electrostat? Many people use the O2 as a reference amp for dynamic headphones.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 1/17/16 at 3:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 6/23/16 at 3:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Today at 6:30 am in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Introduction: Lend Me UR ears, based in Singapore is an online and physical store that opened in December 2011 with a goal to “bring quality audio products to the masses and providing good...
I got the same kind but of course in purple Philips SHE3590PP/28 In-Ear Headphones (Purple) - there is basically no based and I had to turn the volume way up to hear sound that didn't sound cheap.
Soundaware M1 Pro / “Esther” – initial impressions I had the opportunity to listen to the Soundaware M1 Pro as part of the recent UK and North American tours that the company have...
Bought these after receiving the Massdrop HE-350s which were just too treble-forward for my taste. I listen to a lot of music when at work. Desk space is limited, so I can't justify running an...
When i first got the Cayin iHA-6 and iDAC-6 combo and paired it with my HD800S, i wasn't too thrilled. Compared to my previous HDVD800, there was more detail present from the dac, but it came with...
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1587post #23791 of 247657/23/13 at 9:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #23792 of 247657/23/13 at 10:14amQuote:
IMO... a reference is only useful if a significant number of people have tried it. That's only possible if the amp is fairly low-cost. So that's never going to be that possible for Stax. The amps aren't "cheap". If you must have one, the closest are probably the 252 or the 323s. It doesn't help that most people buy different bundles. Again, that's fairly meaningless since so many folks either:
a) happy with their vintage stuff that they aren't "upgrading"
b) go straight for the high-end stuff and skip everything in between
c) start in the mid-range stuff of Stax and sufficiently happy
TLDR: The large number of folks on Stax wouldn't have tried as many amps as on dynamic setups... so why chase something that isn't really that achievable? Again, from what I've observed... most people come to Stax after they have tried everything else and whatever Stax they are at, they've achieved what they've set out for. Most don't upgrade endlessly on Stax amps - just look through the whole thread and you won't find that many upgrading between Stax amps (BHSE aside).
On the plus side, there aren't a crowd of amps for Stax and they are all fairly well differentiated so people don't run into issues with comparing amps like dynamic setups.
Edited by RiStaR - 7/23/13 at 10:26ampost #23793 of 247657/23/13 at 12:21pmI'm sorry, you guys lost me. What does this have to do with STAX?
The Stax thread is usually more off-topic than it is on-topic.
Also, spritzer, I might be interested in buying your jerry-rigged Egmont amp, but I'd like to know more about it before I decide since it's such an oddity. Since you own both, how does it compare to the SRD-X?
Edited by Tus-Chan - 7/23/13 at 12:27pmpost #23794 of 247657/23/13 at 12:24pmpost #23795 of 247657/23/13 at 12:28pm
What happens if you use an energiser with a STAX setup? Will it retain the same sound signature of the power amp?
Yeah, pretty much, in my experience at least. My SRD-X is pretty much colorless in any way as far as I can tell, though it's kinda limited in power.post #23796 of 247657/23/13 at 3:17pmpost #23797 of 247657/23/13 at 3:25pmpost #23798 of 247657/23/13 at 3:29pmpost #23799 of 247657/23/13 at 3:32pmQuote:
You won't necessarily be able to tell, since your amp/energizer/headphones/speakers etc. all act in conjunction with one another.
Power amps do make the headphones sound quite different. My current favorite setup is a 50 watt SET Wavac MD 572 with a Stax SRD 7 upgraded with Dyna Z565 trannies through a Stax 3n that has had its drivers replaced with 5n drivers, normal bias.
The older Stax 3n/5n have the reputation for being very monitor like in terms of extreme detail, but with low, dry, well defined bass.
With the bigger amp, there is absolutely no bass deficit, the bass is still fast but has real clout and impact competitive with my Ultrasone Ed8 dynamic headphones. It's the best headphone set up I have ever heard.post #23800 of 247657/23/13 at 3:39pmpost #23801 of 247657/23/13 at 3:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by M-13
You make a good point. Why even have a DAC at all??? It's 2013. All computer sound cards can do a simple conversion of digital to analog using just a tiny fraction of the CPUs power. All properly designed DACs and amps sound the same. If you think I'm wrong please do a thorough scientific study doing ABX blind testing with alteast 10,000 subjects and make sure you get it published in a peer-reviewed journal for electrical engineers. Otherwise I'm right and people are just foolin themselves. (BTW I won't be paying for these tests. You need to do them out of your own pocket for my own pleasure.)
Your words in God's ear ;-)
The critical stage is the line stage of the DAC. Class-A silicon or good NOS tubes will do the job nicely. Fuggedabout the rest ...post #23802 of 247657/23/13 at 5:17pmpost #23803 of 247657/23/13 at 5:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by RiStaR
Actually, the 202s don't improve all that much with better amps (I went from the 252 to the KGSSHV). There's a bit more control, but I can't say it's a lot better. All that said, the 202 is one of my favorites and I go back to it often even with my 007 for a different flavour (headstage is smaller but that intimacy sometimes work with certain music).
What don't you like about it, though? Also, what's your source? That probably is a big variable.
I came back to the headphone world after playing around with IEMs. So I'm not too clear with other dynamic phones. I only vaguely remember the HD800/LCD2 from memory. It's not that I don't like the 202s. But after receiving my system, I had to ask a: "Is that it?" I don't feel the Stax magic. Maybe I'm being a little too picky for something that is only a basic Stax.
Right now I'm feeding the 252 from a Cirrus Logic Flagship DAC chip.Quote:Originally Posted by Chris J
Detailed-> I find IEMs easier to concnetrate on the details
Non fatiguing-> I felt fatigued after 1 hour somehow... violins, cymbals, high pitched vocals become more shrill like than musical.
I find all this strange. That I would feel that this relatively neutral headphone would sound bright to me when the KAEDE I use (which is apparently treble knives) sounds fine.post #23804 of 247657/23/13 at 7:00pm
Sounds like plainly the stat sound isn't for you, guess you're more used to the coloured sound of your IEM's. That said, I absolutely hated my 202's when I got them, unengaging, lifeless piece of crap that I wanted to throw at the walls. Eventually I was going to sell it off for $100 (not typo), but I figured lets try some more amp's, sources and throw various music at them and see what they excel at. Fast forward almost a year now that I have owned them and my opinions/impressions are completely opposite as the sound has grown on me.
Anyway back to troubleshooting this piece of crap SRM-1 amp, got the crap DVM replaced and measured various points this time.
Here's a final picture.
It's weird how the first transistors of both TO-5 and TO-66 types measure half the voltage of the last 2 transistors. I honestly can't figure out from my limited experience what the heck is wrong with this amp, unless the pairs of transistors are all suppose to emit the same output voltage?
Then there's bias measurement from the jack of 38vdc....??
Edited by DefQon - 7/23/13 at 9:04pmpost #23805 of 247657/23/13 at 8:18pm
Hi. Just got in my SR-507s to replace my SR-404LEs. Not as big a difference as I thought and there is something that I like about the 404le but I would still concede that the 507s are "better".
But,,, I think I want to replace my amp. I have the SRM-006t. I have been trying to negotiate buying a SRM-007ii but that may fall through due to my being in Canada.
Anyone have a suggestion whether this is the amp to go for or should I try the 727 or 717? They're all close to the same price in used and that's about my budget.
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 1 second ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 40 seconds ago
- › Objectivists board room 55 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio - PHANTOM AIR - The worlds FIRST tuneable truly... 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH-600 3 minutes ago
- › Jomo Audio Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by MaximumEnnui
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...