<smile> As I said, everyone's ears and tastes are different. A great deal depends on the specific recordings being listened to. As always, ymmv.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 10/30/14 at 2:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Next Step in the Headphone Journey? Last post on 7/4/12 at 6:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
The ATH-m50 is my first ever headphone, not including the $2 ear-buds of course. Before the m50, I was just listening to ear-buds and didn't have much affection for music reproduction. However,...
I love these. I have BeatsPro, Monster Inspiration and these blow them away! They are super comfortable and I can hear the nuances of all sounds.
These are my go-to set of headphones and I could have them on for 4-5h without fatigue or discomfort. I love the sound signature but understand it's not for everyone. Highs: Clean, detailed,...
Having a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for a while now and very impressed with its sound quality and comfort as closed-back headphones, I was looking for a set of open-backs for certain genres of music that...
As a budget closed-back set of headphones, I think they are not bad. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, which is not great in regard to clarity, but good in reducing fatigue on long sessions....
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1573
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #23582 of 247657/14/13 at 9:34amQuote:Originally Posted by spritzer
It's more about following a product lineup they have generated piece-by-piece over the last 30 years. They must have discovered that it was good business to have multiple sets even if they are all very similar. The basic is just a continuation of the Lambda Pro from 1982, the Classic is the same as the Signature from 1987 and the Signature the Nova Signature from 1994. It's always better to give people choice even if it is just the illusion of choice...
Its the BNG way of marketing. (same product just Bold New Graphics or in this case color and cable)...most consumers just see it as a new and therefore better product then last years...post #23583 of 247657/14/13 at 2:35pm
So, can someone with experience with the SRD-X, or an energizer like it, tell me how it stacks up compared to an actual dedicated amp? I have an SRD-X on my desk pre-amped by a Little Dot 1+, and it sounds really great. Best I've heard yet, certainly much better than the SRM-Xh, but I'm wondering just how much better I can get.
Also, what is the ideal type of amp to use as a pre-amp for an energizer? I'm currently under the impression that an amplifier optimized for low impedance headphones seems to work best.post #23584 of 247657/14/13 at 4:14pmpost #23585 of 247657/14/13 at 4:17pmpost #23586 of 247657/15/13 at 2:53amWhat's special about the SRD-X besides the portability? FWIR isn't it suppose to have a volume control anyway?
The previous owner of my SRM-T1 decoupled the volume control from the circuit so I use my Nova as the pre-amp and it still sounds awesome.
Only problem is that doing so has sacrificed the analog balance control and there is a slight channel imbalance.
On that note, making the observation that many Stax amps have balance controls and channel imbalance seems to account for the bulk of their driver servicing - how prevalent is this and what are the consequences besides volume? I know in some cases channel imbalance is temporary but in other cases it is permanent (e. g. from driver arcing and such), but I'm curious as to the implications besides one channel being inherently louder than the other. In my experience it hasn't seemed to have a noticeable detriment to the sound after being compensated in either the analog or digital domain, so I have to wonder why "victims" of channel imbalance generally get their drivers replaced.
Edited by 3X0 - 7/15/13 at 2:55ampost #23587 of 247657/15/13 at 3:19am
I sold off my imbalanced 404 and got myself another one with it's original box. If your Stax sounds imbalanced out of the blue, spritzers recommendation is for you to play music through it for 2 weeks as there could be a nasty left over charge sitting somewhere on the membrane, so letting it play music for a while will let it fix itself.post #23588 of 247657/15/13 at 4:53amQuote:Originally Posted by DefQon
I sold off my imbalanced 404 and got myself another one with it's original box.
If your Stax sounds imbalanced out of the blue, spritzers recommendation is for you to play music through it for 2 weeks as there could be a nasty left over charge sitting somewhere on the membrane, so letting it play music for a while will let it fix itself.
Not as easy of an option with the HE60. Best I can do is replace the drivers through Sennheiser and put the old ones up for sale. Though this route is complicated by the recently-discovered fact that my HEV70 seems to be faulty, and I understand Sennheiser needs them for testing the system.
Going to try the music thing, since I recently got them back from Moon-Audio (replug to Stax Pro) and didn't notice the imbalance as much before the retermination. Problem is my hearing is only sensitive enough to pick up channel imbalance once in a blue moon...post #23589 of 247657/15/13 at 6:08amWell at least Sennheiser still stocks spare drivers for the HE60/90, unlike Stax, once it's discontinued they don't have surplus NOS drivers unless you like paying near full retail price of them updating your earspeaker with the latest model transducer. For me when I notice my ears are playing tricks on me regards with channel imbalance, I use a db meter app on my phone that I use to measure the volume on each of the channel to confirm if it is actually happening.post #23590 of 247657/15/13 at 12:40pmpost #23591 of 247657/15/13 at 1:12pmpost #23592 of 247657/15/13 at 1:42pm
PSCHELBERT--Digging out my old 717[as Stax are not too forthcoming in giving out technical information] The wire colors are wired identical in my 240V version but luckily enough unlike the 727 it is actually a lot easier than it looks. Like the old tube radios made for export with different voltage settings it is easy to adjust as all the tappings are soldered onto the PCB holding the mains fuses --as in your LAST picture. Your solid bars are in ---3 and 6- MINE---240V-- are in -- 2 and 5-- unless spritzer who has vast knowledge on Stax says otherwise - THAT'S where you move the solid bars---simple-- [ Unless as I said Spritzer says different as I respect his viewpoint] Also remember as you have increased the VOLTAGE the ACTUAL current used will be less so the value of the big input surge limiting/ overload fuse Will be DIFFERENT!. From what I remember the 240V fuse is 600MA--BUT I found that to be too near the mark so I increased it to around 1 AMP-You don't have to do that but even working on the 717 didn't cause any problems and I tested it out by shorting 1 leg of each of the mains rectifiers and in each case the fuse blew. Hope this helps-- THE ABOVE- -- DOES NOT APPLY TO THE 727.
Edited by duncan1 - 7/15/13 at 1:43pmpost #23593 of 247657/15/13 at 4:11pmpost #23594 of 247657/15/13 at 6:43pm
My SRM1-MK1 went kaputz this morning. No smoke, or burnt smell, still seems operationally fine. Still using stock cap's as well. Sound comes out of the Right channel but no sound on Left. Even fed a RCA wired cable directly to the Left-input solder pad underneath the PCB and no sound. Both the normal bias jacks don't produce sound on the left side.
Rewired the RCA connectors just few days ago and cranked it up this morning, I did see a small blue spark from the white 630v bias wire that connects to the copper bridge across the 4 transistors. The problem was the white cable was just dangling on top of the bolt not secured down properly with the washer.
Any ideas? Kg/spritzer?
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 11 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 1 minute ago
- › Official NYC Metro Area "Headphonatics Anonymous" Fall Meet -... 1 minute ago
- › Can a portable Amp Fiio e18 drive a sennheiser HD600, HD650 or a... 2 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 2 minutes ago
- › VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - ALTO + FORZA - Crowdsourcing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dutch Headphone Meet 2014 (Germans & Belgians welcome!) 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by alexau123
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by jehovahluvsme
- › V-MODA LP2 by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by M-Techn1k
- › Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)