Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1479  

post #22171 of 24765
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

Thank you (tachikoma too). Have a pair of mk2s offered to me. If they are driven by a decent amp like the KGSS, BHSE OR WES, are they still decent without the modding? Worried about damaging the mk2 by trying to mod them.

 

There might be a small mid bass hump, you may still like them. I did the modding because the bass hump sometimes got in the way of the vocals for the stuff I listen to.

 

The mod is reversible, you can do the easy version like I did, you only have to take off the earpads to do it;

 

post #22172 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

 

There might be a small mid bass hump, you may still like them. I did the modding because the bass hump sometimes got in the way of the vocals for the stuff I listen to.

 

The mod is reversible, you can do the easy version like I did, you only have to take off the earpads to do it;

 

 

 

Wow, didn't know there was an easier mod. How much of the hump does it get rid off and do you have a link to a thread for this mod? Thank you again, this really helps sway me towards the mk2s.


Edited by Clsmooth391 - 5/8/13 at 7:30pm
post #22173 of 24765

The port mod turns it into an MK1, which has no midbass hump.

post #22174 of 24765
Had time to recap gotta love the blue smily_headphones1.gif


post #22175 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post

Carefully open up the drivers, if the membrane inside is in one piece go ahead and recable them. You can use a chopped up extension cable for this.

Thanks. The membrane is in one piece on both sides, I'll try to recable it..

 

Ali

post #22176 of 24765
For sr-009 owners, do you use dust protective cover such as Cpc-1 or no cover?

I have Cpc1, but it looks ugly. Do you cover sr-009 everyday after using it?
post #22177 of 24765

I use the CPC-1 covers and vinyl protectors.

post #22178 of 24765
I keep my in its box... Better safe than sorry, especially if you tend to live in dusty place.
post #22179 of 24765

I used to keep all my stats covered with CPC-1 covers when they were out on stands, otherwise they lived in their boxes.  My wife didn't like the look so she got me this nifty glass case to keep them all in.  I'll have to take a picture of it some time with the headphones in it. 

 

It's a bit over the top, but I like seeing my headphones, I can grab whatever I want to listen to, and it keeps the dust out!

 

post #22180 of 24765

I keep my SR-007 in their flight case if they're not being used. Bit of an hassle to take it in and out for every listen, but I know they'll stay dust free and secure so it's a tradeoff I'm willing to take.

 

And before that even when I had HD800 and LCD-2's I always kept them in their box as well. Personally don't like headphone stands too much as there's always a slim chance the headphones can be knocked off (freak accidents happen), plus the dust factor and all that.

post #22181 of 24765
In Japan, we're always at the mercy of earthquakes so I am not comfortable using a stand. You got more to worry about than your phones when it shakes a lot but well, I still pay attention to this smily_headphones1.gif.
post #22182 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post

The port mod turns it into an MK1, which has no midbass hump.

 

This only works for the first version of the Mk2's (SZ2) but not the newest ones.  Nothing can be done to them unfortunately. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

In Japan, we're always at the mercy of earthquakes so I am not comfortable using a stand. You got more to worry about than your phones when it shakes a lot but well, I still pay attention to this smily_headphones1.gif.

 

I can vouch for the Stax stands in earthquakes.  smily_headphones1.gif 

post #22183 of 24765

I've just posted my 407+323s combo here if anyone's inetersted.

post #22184 of 24765

I left my stax on headphone stand unless I will be away for more than 2 days then I'll store it to plastic box with 30-50% humidity. I personally wouldnt worry on the normal dust unless its really dusty environment. The headphones is designed to withstand dust from normal environment

post #22185 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clsmooth391 View Post

Wow, didn't know there was an easier mod. How much of the hump does it get rid off and do you have a link to a thread for this mod? Thank you again, this really helps sway me towards the mk2s.

Read the last post in this thread and you'll find it. IME it successfully eliminates the mid-bass hump. Do note that it mostly valid for SZ2 version (first iteration of O2mk2) since SZ3 are supposedly signifiacntly more uneven due to a diaphram change.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)