- 7,163 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Oz
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 2/19/15 at 7:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 6/14/15 at 6:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: Yesterday
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your...
Introduction The Fidue A65 is in quite of an interesting place. It's in the budget range that has a lot of great contenders, but in it's defence it brings a Titanium micro dynamic driver, and with...
This review is for the iclever IC-BTH01 Bluetooth Stereo Headset INTRODUCTION Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in...
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1462post #21916 of 247654/19/13 at 10:15pmYou have a lampizator dac as well?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21917 of 247654/19/13 at 10:21pm
Yea, after trying lots of "this month dac, which blows the last fotm dac out of the water", I think I will settle with the Lampi. Still ultra curious about the lampi lv6, but it seems like noone has ever ordered one
Edited by khaine1711 - 4/19/13 at 10:24pmpost #21918 of 247654/19/13 at 10:26pmpost #21919 of 247654/19/13 at 10:27pmpost #21920 of 247654/19/13 at 10:41pm
Sure it'll sound good, the level 5 is the TOTL lampi atm.
I'm just curious since the level 6 is sort of special. I haven't inquired about it (won't be able to afford one in several years to come); but the lv6 actually use expensive triode for the output stage (2a3/300b) and knowing Lukas he may even use the 845 tube if the buyer request. The thing ticks most of the fancy boxes for audiophiles, and it doesn't cost that much more compared to the level 5. Surely there must be someone with enough disposable income and curiousity for the level 6; yet after a while there's still nothing while info/impression on the dCS stack, msb stack and even the Audio Note CDT system can easily be found.post #21921 of 247654/20/13 at 12:20ampost #21922 of 247654/20/13 at 5:58ampost #21923 of 247654/20/13 at 6:15ampost #21924 of 247654/20/13 at 11:53ampost #21925 of 247654/20/13 at 12:01pmQuote:
They are, save for the driver variances inherent in manufacturing and the slight difference imparted by the change in earpad material. Overstatement of differences between 2/3/4/5 editions of the same gen lambdas is par for the coursepost #21926 of 247654/20/13 at 4:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by n3rdling
Really though, if there was a functional change as a result of the solder joint being in place for a certain amount of time, everybody would know about it. It'd effect all of your electronics, the wiring in your home to your outlets, your car, piping, etc. Everything would have to take this variable into account and compensate for it. You don't think a company like IBM would know for a fact by now that what you're saying is true? I'll take billions of dollars worth of global research over a person from the internet swearing he heard a difference, no offense.
When I brought defective hifi-equipment to my electronics-savvy friend the first thing he always did was check all solder connections and resolder the "suspicious" ones. After re-soldering them in 80 percent of the cases the equipment would play again.post #21927 of 247654/20/13 at 8:39pmpost #21928 of 247654/20/13 at 8:54pmpost #21929 of 247654/20/13 at 10:37pmQuote:
ya cold solder jointspost #21930 of 247654/21/13 at 2:51amI did some measurement of my SR-007mk1 yesterday, wanted to compare against my previous 007mk2 (SZ3).First, did measurement on urethane lined flat plate using EMC8000 mic, checked repeatability and it was bad (lack of seal), I had to get rid of 1 data set to get a reasonable average:
Then I thought some in-ear miniature mics I recently acquired would solve the seal issue and influence of poor mic centering. Well, turns out the SNR of these mics is plain terrible at LF and they are pair matched like - I shall not name the brand - headphone:I then went on to remeasure my 009, the soft and large ear pad makes it much easier to get repeatable results on a plane baffle test:I could check the consistency of the tests by comparing against measurements from august last year. Could be better, the response above 8kHz is quite sensitive to mic placement:
Basically, the Omega 2 comparisons are not too useful. The issue with seal prevents to see the difference in design between the 2 itérations (mk2 being vented with a tendency to have boomy bass). The discrepancies at high-frequency might be just as much a test issue (mic centering) as actual phenomenon. Upon listening to the Omega 2 mk2 (SZ2) however, we certainly hear a bit of lively highs which make it appear more dynamic than the mk1 , at the expense of sounding somewhat hard at times.
For the 009, it's a totally different voicing but we can see the bass response being quite a bit more "linear" than the Omega 2 (again this may be just as much a test issue with sealing than an actual phenomenon - at least my mk1 don't sound boomy).
Probably the next step for me is to contact the tech support of the company of sent me these "high quality" in ear mics. They are useless as-is... But the baffle plate measurement are not much value either so really, I hope to get this on-head testing going (if I read reasonable quality mics, I would then calibrate the measurement using some personalized HRTFs).Arnaud
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 4 minutes ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 6 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 6 minutes ago
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by biggbenn74
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by snapacap
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)