Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1430  

post #21436 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Quick question. On the new Stax portables...are they more like earbuds (sit more on your ear canal) or IEM style headphones? 

 

I can't do in ears (due to wax impact problems), but ear buds are fine and I'm pretty interested in a pair. 

They sit on your ear canals. They don't fully go in, like how IEM's work. There are 3 tip sizes, S, M & L. Comes in whitish clear color only. You can also feel free to experiment by using normal IEM tips. Though I've never had much success with getting a good seal with the latter method mentioned. 

 

All the best.

post #21437 of 24765

DefQon explains it well.  While a seal is important, it's very different from an IEM that needs to go deep into the ear.  I know a few users who has "IEM use issues" who are able to use the 001/002's comfortably.  They might be worth checking out for you. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

They sit on your ear canals. They don't fully go in, like how IEM's work. There are 3 tip sizes, S, M & L. Comes in whitish clear color only. You can also feel free to experiment by using normal IEM tips. Though I've never had much success with getting a good seal with the latter method mentioned. 

 

All the best.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Quick question. On the new Stax portables...are they more like earbuds (sit more on your ear canal) or IEM style headphones? 

 

I can't do in ears (due to wax impact problems), but ear buds are fine and I'm pretty interested in a pair. 

post #21438 of 24765

You're right, but it does dissolve the oxides well.

Either way, my post was only quasi-serious, because it's quite hazardous stuff and it's likely that the poisonous NO2 will form.

Best and safest way is probably to use mechanic action with a cotton swab stick and a very fine abbrasive powder such as chalk in water, or a commercial product ('polish') based on such a very fine abbrasive.

Alternatively, you can try a long bath in EDTA.

Whatever you do, rinse well afterwards, with water and optionally with alcohol after that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post

Err, nitric acid is an oxidizing agent...

post #21439 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post

Broken Lambda Pro driver...

 

So I was inspecting my Lambda Pros, since the right channel sounded off. Turns out the driver had come apart - the back stator was not secured to the rest of the driver.

 

 

The photo below shows the problem (btw, I've only kept the stator 'open' like this for a few seconds; very briefly when I realized it was broken, and again just long enough to take this photo and scan for dust on the membrane). There is no dust visible to my eyes on the membrane, and the back stator fits perfectly on the ring to which it is supposed to be glued; i.e. there are no gaps. 

 

Anyone else fixed their stators before?

My current thinking is to use some 2-part epoxy (LePage Marine Epoxy) around the edges to re-secure the stator, and leave some weight (an old textbook?) on top of the stator overnight while the glue settles. Thoughts?

 

 

 

On the same topic, the 5-pin connector seems a bit oxidized - any easy way to remove the oxide?

 

First off, don't use epoxy, nasty stuff and it's way too liquid.  Use polyurethane, that's what Stax used and what most ESL builders use as well. 

 

Now for the bad part, your plan involves adding another layer of glue on top of one already there and that messes with the D/S gap on one side of the driver and thus knocks it out of balance.  Distortion rises pretty quickly when doing that but you might be lucky and pull it off with a tiny amount of glue. 

 

For the pins, just get something like Brasso and polish them. 


Edited by spritzer - 3/15/13 at 8:12am
post #21440 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucera View Post

Hi folks,

I own a 303 with leather pads and an SRM 1 MK 2. Now I want to upgrade gradually. I am thinking about a 407 or 405. Would that be an enhancement, or do I have to upgrade the amp first?

Never heard 303, but was comparing 307 and 407 with 323S amp, as a result - waiting for my 407's delivery($565 shipped from Japan, it's a steal for that sound). 407 has more extended bass and treble, and also lack of upper-midrange harshness I heard in 307. Personally, I think SRM1/MK2pro + SR-407 is the best way to spend $1000. Sorry for delayed answer, but seem's other guy's more intrested in loops and holes biggrin.gif

post #21441 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

They sit on your ear canals. They don't fully go in, like how IEM's work. There are 3 tip sizes, S, M & L. Comes in whitish clear color only. You can also feel free to experiment by using normal IEM tips. Though I've never had much success with getting a good seal with the latter method mentioned. 

 

All the best.

I just demo'd the 002, and they have silicone tips that go in the ear, not on the ear.  I had to use a silicone tip from another pair of IEMs to get a good seal.  when I did, they were incredible.  you cant get them as deep as a small IEM, but they definitely go in your ear.  so I'm confused by the posts of it going on the ear.

post #21442 of 24765

what other tips did you try?

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

post #21443 of 24765

Letting music play for a while through the SR-Gamma isn't fixing the imbalance problem at all.

 

Doesn't matter if I drive the Gamma by itself, the Gamma and Lambda together, or swap the ports they're plugged in. Left-side driver is still distressingly weak, while the Lambda sounds balanced as usual.

 

I'll probably just have to cut my losses on this one...at least the housing, pads, and cable are in great enough condition for people to consider driver swaps.

post #21444 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

what other tips did you try?

Hey justin,  I outlined it in the demo thread.

post #21445 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

Hey justin,  I outlined it in the demo thread.

Here, for those who don't feel like searching:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/255#post_9150997

post #21446 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Letting music play for a while through the SR-Gamma isn't fixing the imbalance problem at all.

 

Doesn't matter if I drive the Gamma by itself, the Gamma and Lambda together, or swap the ports they're plugged in. Left-side driver is still distressingly weak, while the Lambda sounds balanced as usual.

 

I'll probably just have to cut my losses on this one...at least the housing, pads, and cable are in great enough condition for people to consider driver swaps.

The diaphragm is obviously damaged (an adapter is capable of overdriving it so it starts arcing)

But you can always try to do a return in those cases, and get another one after that. Unless it was advertised as defective in the first place, it should be accepted.

Of if the price was low in the first place, it may worth it for the parts alone.

post #21447 of 24765

The slight forward rotation recommendation is in the instruction booklet that comes with the 002's.

post #21448 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

I just demo'd the 002, and they have silicone tips that go in the ear, not on the ear.  I had to use a silicone tip from another pair of IEMs to get a good seal.  when I did, they were incredible.  you cant get them as deep as a small IEM, but they definitely go in your ear.  so I'm confused by the posts of it going on the ear.

Interesting, because the provided tips (assuming you tried the one's that are oval shaped with a self protruding tips) they don't go into your ear canals like normal IEM's, they sit outside your ear canal. This is evident by it's design. Unless you tried the new black Stax tips which imo are horrible compared to the original clear ones.

 

New tips:

 

 

 

Old Tips (from the other Stax thread):


Edited by DefQon - 3/15/13 at 5:29pm
post #21449 of 24765
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

I just demo'd the 002, and they have silicone tips that go in the ear, not on the ear.  I had to use a silicone tip from another pair of IEMs to get a good seal.  when I did, they were incredible.  you cant get them as deep as a small IEM, but they definitely go in your ear.  so I'm confused by the posts of it going on the ear.

 

Interesting, because the provided tips (assuming you tried the one's that are oval shaped with a self protruding tips) they don't go into your ear canals like normal IEM's, they sit outside your ear canal. This is evident by it's design. Unless you tried the new black Stax tips which imo are horrible compared to the original clear ones.

 

 

I have the mk1s. For me I'd say it's borderline whether it goes in your ear canal or not - they pretty much sit on the edge and seal them off.

post #21450 of 24765
Yep ^.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)