$750-1500. Depending on condition.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- What would you say are the best 3 IEM's out in the market now ? Last post on 2/19/15 at 7:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 8/30/15 at 4:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
I owned two PA2V2 and while it's good value amp, it had far too many flaws to my liking. Gary however provided excellent customer support throughout the whole time. Ended up with O2 and I'm...
I've done a lot of A-B comparing and the Schiit Wyrd absolutely improves my sound quality. Without it, the music sounds more distant, less expansive, less clear and also a bit softer volume. A...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of Australia/New Zealand tour arranged by @d marc0, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1393post #20881 of 247652/5/13 at 8:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20882 of 247652/6/13 at 12:47am
They are state-of-the-art. I had the CA-X preamp and a set of DA-100 class A power monos. The monos get very hot, not the case but the air that comes out of the top, they use a heat pipe to get rid of the heat.
The CA-X has a shunt power supply that would be sufficient for a power amp with 75 w/ch I guess, the preamp sits piggy back on top and is totally dual mono. Its phono section also accepts input from the special Stax cartridges. The volume knob is mechanically connected to the separate volume controls of the channels, to adjust the balance one holds the big knob and adjusts one of the smaller ones. The thing uses very expensive military grade air capacitors. These were also the achilles heel in my CA-X.
I met a German Stax fan with the big Stax electrostatic speakers who liked the set and swapped it against his very rare EAR 549 tube monos (200 w/ch) and a rare German tube preamp. The guy found new air capacitors in the US, very expensive.
The Stax set was fantastic but had "only" 100 w/ch class A. The build quality is excellent, the copper on the PCBs is extra thick and only the best quality parts are used. They look very simple but are wolves in sheep's clothes ...
But I needed more power for my big Maggies ;-)
Best regards, Jörg.
Edited by yawg - 2/6/13 at 12:58ampost #20883 of 247652/6/13 at 4:33amQuote:
Thanks. So now I know which will be the new pads on my own LNS. Did you get yours from Audiocubes? Or elsewhere? What was the price? I saw an eBay seller lately who asked double the price of AC.
Best regards, Jörg.post #20884 of 247652/6/13 at 5:07amQuote:
I bought them on AC and the service was slow but the pads did eventually arrive. They kept me informed by email. I am using them on my 407's and there was a marginal but noticeable improvement. My only complaint about the pads is that they are not very deep so they press against the outside of my ears. The original pads were a tiny bit deeper but the vinyl was not as comfortable as the leather. Comfort issue aside, they are, sound wise, the best you can do.post #20885 of 247652/6/13 at 6:50amQuote:
Hehe, I could have told you that. I would be interesting to do this same mod with ECC99's which only calls for small changes to the operating points. Current production as well which is always better.post #20886 of 247652/6/13 at 7:13ampost #20887 of 247652/6/13 at 7:29am
That's where most people get there. I paid full through Jack Wu for mine, but I regret that now since I sold 'em already. lolpost #20888 of 247652/6/13 at 8:07amQuote:
Wow, I think I might just suck it up and save up for a 009 now instead of getting the lcd3s. under 4000 is somehow a magical pricepoint, just sounds alot better than 5000.post #20889 of 247652/6/13 at 8:10ampost #20890 of 247652/6/13 at 9:31ampost #20891 of 247652/6/13 at 9:38amQuote:
I was recently quoted 4-6 weeks wait time, full payment up front, and any warranty/repair will need to be shipped back to them.
In the end I placed an order with Justin@Headamp for a 009/727 package and am very happy with my decision.post #20892 of 247652/6/13 at 9:47am
Because the wife(ish) was sick of listening to the 'splash' from the 009s for hours on end and told me we needed some speakers.
There's really only room for one high end system in our house, so out went the 009 + LL and in came (well, coming. Still waiting on delivery) the speakers.
I have a feeling the speakers will bring more enjoyment anyway. Completely different sound, but I had forgotten what proper soundstage was since I'd been into headphone audio for so long.post #20893 of 247652/6/13 at 10:14ampost #20894 of 247652/6/13 at 10:45am
Both. We live in apartments with roomies. One room has to fit all of our gear right now. Budget restraints of course as well. My system is worth over half my annual pay. I don't have tons of money to throw around. It would've been a year before I could've gotten the speaker system I wanted.
As far as Stax vs speakers. They're very different (my speakers vs the 009 rig). You're right that I'd have to spend a ton to get something with all the same characteristics (and I'd actually say it's near impossible to get the same level of detail), but for the same money I invested in an 009 + amp (roughly 10k) the speakers outdo them in so many ways.
You have to understand that I wasn't trying to 'best' my 009 rig. I was going for a completely different flavor. It'd be like comparing the 009 to the W3000ANV. Sweet, and wonderful (albeit colored) vs razor sharp detail and speed.post #20895 of 247652/6/13 at 10:47am
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 28 seconds ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 1 minute ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 3 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 3 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2