Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1385  

post #20761 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

The new Lambdas all use the same foam on the inside of the chamber so it is available as a spare part. 

 

Intersting, but doesn't it involves dealing with the stitches to replace it?

post #20762 of 24765

I asked this question before, but I didn't get an answer.

 

Anyways, is it safe to use my Stax when the foam has rottened off? I mean is it possible for dust/hair go into the drivers and damage them?

post #20763 of 24765

Sweet.  I think I will go ahead and track it down.  I didn't see any foam listed on the STAX USA site so assumed it wasn't a standard replacement part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

The new Lambdas all use the same foam on the inside of the chamber so it is available as a spare part. 

 

 

I think you'd love these LNS drivers in a HE90 housing then.  smily_headphones1.gif  None of the drawbacks of the Lambda housing and they look stunning.  Sound stunning off this brand new BH I just finished. 

 

 

 

After having the SR-202 for a while it was really the LNS that was the "gateway drug" that has sent me fully down the dark road of more expensive stats, building and buying amps etc...  But I have to say I'm enjoying the trip, so thanks for getting me hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

I kinda miss those LNS, really nice headphones.  Glad you're enjoying them!  You can always buy some open cell foam on the cheap and put it in the housing.

post #20764 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post

Sweet.  I think I will go ahead and track it down.  I didn't see any foam listed on the STAX USA site so assumed it wasn't a standard replacement part.

 

 

 

After having the SR-202 for a while it was really the LNS that was the "gateway drug" that has sent me fully down the dark road of more expensive stats, building and buying amps etc...  But I have to say I'm enjoying the trip, so thanks for getting me hooked.


How do you feel the SR-202 compares to popular dynamics such as HD600, DT880 etc? Is it same league or better? I have both SR-202 and HD600 at hand, but I still don't have amp for the Staxes so can't compare myself :P

post #20765 of 24765

How do you feel the SR-202 compares to popular dynamics such as HD600, DT880 etc? Is it same league or better? I have both SR-202 and HD600 at hand, but I still don't have amp for the Staxes so can't compare myself :P

 

This. I am about to put my bank account to zero buying the Stax 2020 system, I want to know if it's really worth the trouble.

post #20766 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post


How do you feel the SR-202 compares to popular dynamics such as HD600, DT880 etc? Is it same league or better? I have both SR-202 and HD600 at hand, but I still don't have amp for the Staxes so can't compare myself :P


IMO the SR202 is a league above that level of dynamics and can compete with HE5/500 level - in other words, better than HD600/650/DT880/K701 but not as good as LCD2/HD800/T1. This opinion depends a lot on what you value in terms of sound signature, but for me the speed, detail, and transparency of my old SR202 beat the pants off any dynamic even close to its price. It's a different type of sound, and something I think everyone interested in high-end headphones should hear at some point. The first time I went to a meet and listened to stats, I was hooked.

 

There are things dynamics do better, like bass impact, extension, and "fun factor" but if it's speed and clarity you're looking for, it's very diffult to beat electrostatics.

 

BTW If you're talking about the SRS2020 on the FS/T forums, I almost jumped on that until I snagged a set of Koss ESP950, which I've never heard. It's a good deal.

post #20767 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

I think you'd love these LNS drivers in a HE90 housing then.  smily_headphones1.gif  None of the drawbacks of the Lambda housing and they look stunning.  Sound stunning off this brand new BH I just finished. 

Sounds cool!  Wouldn't there be bass rolloff issues having those smallish drivers in that housing though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael View Post

 

Intersting, but doesn't it involves dealing with the stitches to replace it?

He's talking about the foam behind the drivers, not in the earpads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post

I asked this question before, but I didn't get an answer.

 

Anyways, is it safe to use my Stax when the foam has rottened off? I mean is it possible for dust/hair go into the drivers and damage them?

Yes it's safe.  There are really old Lambdas without foam that still sound as-new.  The foam offers some protection against dust, but the drivers are sealed with dust covers so it won't be an issue unless those develop a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post

 

After having the SR-202 for a while it was really the LNS that was the "gateway drug" that has sent me fully down the dark road of more expensive stats, building and buying amps etc...  But I have to say I'm enjoying the trip, so thanks for getting me hooked.

 

I'm always happy to get more people aboard the stats train. wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post


How do you feel the SR-202 compares to popular dynamics such as HD600, DT880 etc? Is it same league or better? I have both SR-202 and HD600 at hand, but I still don't have amp for the Staxes so can't compare myself :P

Before I ever got into electrostats I had a DT880.  I bought a Lambda Signature on a whim and that DT880 didn't get used for about a year until I finally sold it off.  I'd say Lambdas best any dynamic aside from the HD800 and a few out of production models. 

post #20768 of 24765

Is it a good idea to clean out dust from a Stax with compressed air? If it's good enough for my PC, it's good enough for my headphones, right? confused.gif

post #20769 of 24765
Yeah, and a little round in the dishwasher once in while helps too. If it's good for my dishes, it's good for my headphones right?
post #20770 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

Is it a good idea to clean out dust from a Stax with compressed air? If it's good enough for my PC, it's good enough for my headphones, right? confused.gif

 

I personally would not recommend that but they're not my headphones. What are you trying to clean out (deteriorated foam, hairs,...)?


Edited by jjinh - 1/26/13 at 4:32pm
post #20771 of 24765

I personally would not recommend that but they're not my headphones. What are you trying to clean out (deteriorated foam, hairs,...)?

 

I'd be trying to clean out dust, as I've read it makes your Stax squeak.

 

Yeah, and a little round in the dishwasher once in while helps too. If it's good for my dishes, it's good for my headphones right?

 

Please, tell me about all the similarities platters of material have to high-power electronic media devices adverse to water (AKA PCs or Stax headphones).

Your analogy all but missed the point here. If you were trying to be funny, you failed to leave any signs that you were joking; hence, I'm taking it at face value.

post #20772 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

I'd be trying to clean out dust, as I've read it makes your Stax squeak.

 

Okay. Reading your posts above it appears you are considering buying a SRS2020 system and you havent got a pair of Stax yet??

 

If that's right I'd wait until you get the pair to see if you actually have any problems; if they do squeak (itself an uncommon problem) I'd see if there were any stray hairs, etc I could remove by hand. I'd plug them into an amp for a few hours to see if that alleviates the problem. 

post #20773 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarios View Post


IMO the SR202 is a league above that level of dynamics and can compete with HE5/500 level - in other words, better than HD600/650/DT880/K701 but not as good as LCD2/HD800/T1. This opinion depends a lot on what you value in terms of sound signature, but for me the speed, detail, and transparency of my old SR202 beat the pants off any dynamic even close to its price. It's a different type of sound, and something I think everyone interested in high-end headphones should hear at some point. The first time I went to a meet and listened to stats, I was hooked.

There are things dynamics do better, like bass impact, extension, and "fun factor" but if it's speed and clarity you're looking for, it's very diffult to beat electrostatics.
This was my experience as well with the HD600 (balanced) vs SR202. I ended up preferring the HD600's signature and impact, but I would say the SR202 is a more technically capable headphone. The owner of the SR202 offered to sell it to me, and I thought about it on and off for a couple years, but eventually leaped to the SR-007MK1 then back to dynamic land with the HD800.
post #20774 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

Please, tell me about all the similarities platters of material have to high-power electronic media devices adverse to water (AKA PCs or Stax headphones).
Your analogy all but missed the point here. If you were trying to be funny, you failed to leave any signs that you were joking; hence, I'm taking it at face value.

It's all plastic and metal stuff, isn't it?

Seriously, if you're going to invest into stats, read a bit about the technology. Dust blower isn't as bad as using a vaccum cleaner, but I'd still stay of any such process unless it's your last hope...
post #20775 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

 

I'd be trying to clean out dust, as I've read it makes your Stax squeak.

 

 

Please, tell me about all the similarities platters of material have to high-power electronic media devices adverse to water (AKA PCs or Stax headphones).

Your analogy all but missed the point here. If you were trying to be funny, you failed to leave any signs that you were joking; hence, I'm taking it at face value.

 

Doesn't some compressed air leave a residue on whatever it sprays on? It's not totally air, but propellant and bitterant IIRC. I would use one of those rocket ship air dusters or something of the sort, my friend had one and it worked pretty well for carefully cleaning out grills and stuff.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)