Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1382  

post #20716 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundoholic View Post

Sorry, as I think the ring serves as attachment for the cable (round?!). Now I have only the question to the position of pins and slots.



I have a SRM-1 MK2,

Judging from the pin layout of the plug, I measure -35V on the left output, between -left and +left.

I get 8.24 on the -right and the + right

I get 343.4 on the bias out, measured from the bias and the gnd point at the rear.

I'm unsure on how to get zero offset on my left and right output. The left is way off, since I have no instructions on bias set up, is it a matter of turning the bias/offset pots only or is there something else on the left channel that I have to look at and chase?


From the headset there is a slight reduction in volume in the left.


Any advise or help would benefit!!!
Edited by ecohifi - 1/19/13 at 10:07pm
post #20717 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Forgive me for being such a noob, but with only 24 hours left on the bidding, can someone possibly give me an idea if http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m103832334 this is any good, and what to look out for in terms of shipping and so forth. I would really appreciate it. 

 

I got it for $300, condition is like new 

it sounds natural, with a musical,sweet atmosphere,

I found myself like the LNS more than the more expensive 507, 

good luck

 

v


Edited by pkshan - 1/20/13 at 1:17am
post #20718 of 24765

On the SRM-1 Mk2 the offset and balance pot labels are reversed for some reason.  So you adjust the offset at the balance pot etc. 

post #20719 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohifi View Post

I have a SRM-1 MK2,

Judging from the pin layout of the plug, I measure -35V on the left output, between -left and +left.

I get 8.24 on the -right and the + right

I get 343.4 on the bias out, measured from the bias and the gnd point at the rear.

I'm unsure on how to get zero offset on my left and right output. The left is way off, since I have no instructions on bias set up, is it a matter of turning the bias/offset pots only or is there something else on the left channel that I have to look at and chase?


From the headset there is a slight reduction in volume in the left.


Any advise or help would benefit!!!

OK, I found the link,

Have the unit on at least 15-20 min

You placed the MM probes on the + and -of the lleft output, turn the offset so it slowly reaches zero, then adj bias till it reaches zero.

Do this for the right channel, why you do it this way? The labels on the pcb is reversed

Funny how the left channel is more veriable and touchy compared to the right.

Comment from anyone who are miles more knowledgeable please !!!
post #20720 of 24765

I have got a used SR507 that impress me, I sold it to try another stuff. It's worth to try Stax lambda Nova Signature or SR Sigma pro ?

post #20721 of 24765

The LNS sounds a bit foggy when compared to 507

 

507 has more impact ,clearer sound,

 

the LNS delivers music on a lovely way

 
gonna try the 507 leather pad on LNS
post #20722 of 24765

Versus the HE6 and HD800 paired by a B22, my reproach to SR507 is the lack of air, maybe with another pad and another amp, it was paired with a SR007t.

post #20723 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

On the SRM-1 Mk2 the offset and balance pot labels are reversed for some reason.  So you adjust the offset at the balance pot etc. 

 

Thanks Spritzer,

 

I found and followed the  link, little confused on the actual offset adjustment.  If you followed the procedure word for word, the offset adj is placing the +o/put to the +probe and the neg probe to gnd, you cannot get or acheive zero adj???  So I adj the pot thats marked offset to as close as zero I can get it

 

Dont know whether this is normal, once adjusted the reading still varies and fluctuates like crazy, after 1hr of listening I have checked it again, the reading for the left is -11.4V  and the right is -5.6V.

 

Once adjusted the balance came back level and I had to adj the pot for balance,  Im not sure whether its pycho me, but I swear the thing sounds better!!!rolleyes.gif

 

Are all Stax electronics like this or do I have to look at something else thats failed???

post #20724 of 24765

If you grounded the - probe and adjusted the pot labeled "offset" then that is incorrect.  That is in reality the balance pot and that you measure between the + and - of each channel.  That said, 5V is nothing in an amp that can swing 1300Vp-p. 

post #20725 of 24765

For anyone who's been keeping up with my little SRM-717 / NAD M51 saga... I put a few 10db attenuators in line and I've been able to stay up and running for several hours now...  Plan to keep things up and running tonight until late to see if this additional resistance is enough to keep things from tripping.

post #20726 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post

For anyone who's been keeping up with my little SRM-717 / NAD M51 saga... I put a few 10db attenuators in line and I've been able to stay up and running for several hours now...  Plan to keep things up and running tonight until late to see if this additional resistance is enough to keep things from tripping.

If the issue is happening on XLR, try the RCA to see if the issue occurs, with XLR you have to be careful as different parts of the world actually wires the XLR differently,  this may account for your issue.  The M51 has a pin output diagram at the rear of the unit and looking at a photo of the rear of the 717 it to also as a diagram of the pin config, check that the pins going out of the M51 corresponds to the XLR in configuration of the 717, you may find that the -ve pin on the XLR is different to other XLR equipment.  I discovered in a M51 forum that the XLR output cannot be directly connected to a US made XLR preamp as the preamp had the -ve pin wired directly to the shield of the M51

Failing that I strongly recommend that you take the M51 back to the point of purchase if its still under warranty.  The soldering on the pcb is a little to be desired. As there should be absolutely zero DC present at the source

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

If you grounded the - probe and adjusted the pot labeled "offset" then that is incorrect.  That is in reality the balance pot and that you measure between the + and - of each channel.  That said, 5V is nothing in an amp that can swing 1300Vp-p. 

Many Thxns spritzer for you reply,

so all balance adjustments must be done with the MM probes on the + & - ve ouput to each channel.smile.gif


Edited by ecohifi - 1/21/13 at 5:18pm
post #20727 of 24765

I hope the Headamp KGSS uses the same pin out as the Nad M51? That is what I have hooked up now and it works so must be okay? I took a pic of the back of m Nad M51 and a random pic of the back of the SRM-717 off the web. From what I can tell they are a different pin out. I had a W4S dac 2 and it worked fine with the SRM-717. I know my SRM-717 is a North American model and it might be a different from the Japanese model.

 

 


Edited by jaycalgary - 1/21/13 at 7:11pm
post #20728 of 24765

Tried the 507 leather pad on lambda nova signature,

the timbre & balance are just perfect to me,

very close to the original sound, i can forget i'm listening to a headphone,just music

 

The LNS is my favorite lambda now


Edited by pkshan - 1/21/13 at 7:55pm
post #20729 of 24765

Wow, I'm feeling pretty embarrassed for not checking the pin configuration.  I honestly did not know that they might be different, and since it was working on hookup I never suspected it.  I will check out the diagrams on my NAD and 717 tonight to confirm, but I suspect we are getting to the root cause now.

 

It is interesting that with the attenuators in line everything works fine, no cut outs.

 

For the record I never had trouble when using the RCA connections, but I have not gone back to that since changing to the XLR connections. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post

I hope the Headamp KGSS uses the same pin out as the Nad M51? That is what I have hooked up now and it works so must be okay? I took a pic of the back of m Nad M51 and a random pic of the back of the SRM-717 off the web. From what I can tell they are a different pin out. I had a W4S dac 2 and it worked fine with the SRM-717. I know my SRM-717 is a North American model and it might be a different from the Japanese model.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohifi View Post

If the issue is happening on XLR, try the RCA to see if the issue occurs, with XLR you have to be careful as different parts of the world actually wires the XLR differently,  this may account for your issue.  The M51 has a pin output diagram at the rear of the unit and looking at a photo of the rear of the 717 it to also as a diagram of the pin config, check that the pins going out of the M51 corresponds to the XLR in configuration of the 717, you may find that the -ve pin on the XLR is different to other XLR equipment.  I discovered in a M51 forum that the XLR output cannot be directly connected to a US made XLR preamp as the preamp had the -ve pin wired directly to the shield of the M51

Failing that I strongly recommend that you take the M51 back to the point of purchase if its still under warranty.  The soldering on the pcb is a little to be desired. As there should be absolutely zero DC present at the source

post #20730 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post

I hope the Headamp KGSS uses the same pin out as the Nad M51? That is what I have hooked up now and it works so must be okay? I took a pic of the back of m Nad M51 and a random pic of the back of the SRM-717 off the web. From what I can tell they are a different pin out. I had a W4S dac 2 and it worked fine with the SRM-717. I know my SRM-717 is a North American model and it might be a different from the Japanese model.






Check this out: http://www.clarkwire.com/PinOutXLRBalanced.htm

Notice the comment on vintage equipment, please be aware that the -ve point of the XLR is not chassis gnd and some manufacturer also connect them together, if this is the case than the equipment is not a true Balance system, the -ve pin on a true balance system is for the -ve phase, which is why a balance system is referred as differential.
Note that the M51 is wired to the standards where pin 2 is hot, note where the hot pin is on the Stax.
@ jaycalgary
Off the topic and of the rail,
Can you give us a bit of insight on the difference between the WFS and the M51?
Edited by ecohifi - 1/22/13 at 3:03am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)