Any particular reason the answer needs to come from Iceland? Anyone here could give you a resounding "yes"...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandStaxtagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 5/24/10
- productSTAX SIGMAtagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-40tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 5/24/10
- productStax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by SBranson, 7/6/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by System, 5/24/10More
- productStax SRM-313tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-717tagged by System, 12/3/11
- productStax SRM-T1W vacuum tube headphone amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- Is it time for Stax? Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- 1000-1500$ amp for Stax SR-009? Last post on 11/11/12 at 6:45pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 9:25 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SR-007 - will it work ok from an SRM-313?? Last post on 10/8/12 at 6:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Next Step in the Headphone Journey? Last post on 7/4/12 at 6:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/26/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 11/26/14
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
The Stax thread (New) - Page 1379post #20671 of 247651/16/13 at 3:41pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20672 of 247651/16/13 at 3:43pmpost #20673 of 247651/17/13 at 12:07amQuote:Originally Posted by shipsupt
I doubt its overheating, unless it's dirty inside... I'll be opening it up when I have a few minutes to check that. It's cool here in the UK as is the listening room. Plenty of ventilation around the unit.
The voltage question is interesting... It is set for 220V. When I checked my line yesterday it was just over 230V. Tonight (late) I checked it and it was dancing between 238 and 240V. Interesting stuff. I will change the voltage setting after opening and cleaning.
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will keep you posted if you're really bored and interested.
Yes, keep us posted please.post #20674 of 247651/17/13 at 3:57amHi guys,
If you had to get Stax electronics, what would be the best current production amp that is value for the money?
I have just auditioned a 323 and a 006 via 407.
Might be considering the 507 and the 009 and a 323.
I like the 323 but that sounded compressed. The 006 with tubes were too warm and the bass hollowed out as volume increase. I have a SRM 1 MK2 driving lambda pros, do you think the SRM 1 is capable of driving the 009?
The reason I'm asking is that being down under there is almost no retailer has this stuff to audition, especially some of the higher acclaimed amps that are mentioned on this thread.post #20675 of 247651/17/13 at 5:59ampost #20676 of 247651/17/13 at 10:59amQuote:Originally Posted by DefQon
Just a question (for spritzer), would http://www.electromod.co.uk/product-detail.asp?P=1 these be suitable for recabling the Lambda Pro's? Both are pro-bias.
I was quite interested by this site because there's lots of Stax spare parts listed in £s for the UK market, including Mk2 Brown replacement pads for SR-007. Which seems to answer an old question whether it's possible to get Mk2 pads in brown. Shame then that the actual description of those pads is completely wrong. Looks like a bad case of cut n paste error...post #20677 of 247651/17/13 at 11:59am
In my part of the globe, apart from Woo audio, and the dealer doesnt even have the WES in stock. They wont have the 009 or the 007 as these are way too expensive to hold! You need to order one! And Im not a fan of buying stuff I cant audition. The only electrstatic drivers are Stax drivers, the 323 and 006 are the only ones I have heard. Its a huge outlay for the ones that are highly praised on this thread.post #20678 of 247651/17/13 at 1:10pm
Can anyone give a comparison between Beyer T1 and the SR 009? I've been trying to find a comparison of someone that heard both on head fi for a while but nothing really came up. Only the big flagship comparision thread has anything like that.post #20679 of 247651/17/13 at 1:19pmpost #20680 of 247651/17/13 at 1:29pmpost #20681 of 247651/17/13 at 1:50pm
^ Probably true. I was just curious since there are quite a few HD800 vs SR009 comparision I read but nothing about the T1 at all. My impression is that the T1 was on the same plane of existence as the HD800, at least in a review.post #20682 of 247651/17/13 at 2:01pmOk, the inside of the amp was clean, no signs of issues. I switched the voltage to 230v. Fired up and had the cut out in no time.
I swapped the source and it's been happily playing for over an hour now. So what does this mean about my source? It's a brand new NAD M51. It plays nicely with every other amp I connect it to. Would trying it connected unbalanced have any effect? Am I just not able to use it with the 717 or is there something on the DAC output that can be checked, or the sensitivity of the DC input protection on the 717?
Thanks. Good to make some progress.Quote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Michgelsen
My 717 has cut sound two times on very hot summer days, due to overheating. When the amp cools down, it should work again.
On two or three other occasions, inserting the plug from the headphones while the amp was on caused the amp to go into this 'protection mode'. Switching off the amp and disconnecting power for a few seconds, then switching it back on made it work again. This is very rare though. Normally when I disconnect or connect headphones while the amp is on, nothing happens.
I have read reports of 717s overheating due to being configured for the wrong voltage. For example the amp could be set for 220 volt when the line voltage is actually 230 volt, in which case it's better to set the amp for 240 volt operation.
Can any of these points be the source of your problem?post #20683 of 247651/17/13 at 2:45pmQuote:
Well it's German, but that's about where the similarities end. If you don't have an opportunity to try out a 1k+ headphone before you buy it I wouldn't chance going by any one HF review.post #20684 of 247651/17/13 at 2:47pmQuote:
More neutral than the T1...and then imagine every good part of the T1 but better.
Kind of a similar comparison to the HD800 but I consider the HD800 closer to neutral than the T1.
Since I heard it I've called it 'like an HD800 but better in every single way'.post #20685 of 247651/17/13 at 2:54pm
@anetode: Sorry didn't mean to give the impression that I didn't try anything at that level. I did have the T1 for a while and am planning on getting the 009 next.
@Morbid: Sounds good. I like how the T1 sounds but wish it was more transparent. Better everything is great, now if only it was better price...
This thread is locked
- The Stax thread (New)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight... 3 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.6.0 22 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 1 minute ago
- › JVC FX850 IEM 2 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 3 minutes ago
- › Over the ear IEM's that can take a beating, $100 max 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › M2Tech HiFace 2? 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)