Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1376  

post #20626 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael View Post

Haha too funny that! It's also recommended to ground your wallet before any contact with Stax gear.

 

I'm picky on sound,sold all dynamic cans I owned, didn't look back

 

bought 3 stax lambdas & frustrated, they sound different,

I always try to find their flaw,& ended up enjoying them.

will be regretful if i sell any of them


Edited by pkshan - 1/13/13 at 4:48am
post #20627 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

So, speaking of, was anything ever posted on the interview with Stax?  I think you attended, right?  I'm not sure if I missed it.

It's a work in progress... Have finished to translate the 1hour or so of interview to english + the discussion during the tour. Am waiting for amos / scott to polish that up before I send it back to stax. Shouldn't be much longer...

 

Yeah, I've been slack.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz View Post

Absolutely true!  One look at the prices and you will be shocked!

 

(No danger of electrical shock, though)

Haha too funny that! It's also recommended to ground your wallet before any contact with Stax gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

There are stats made in China?

Not yet... But i hope if they do, It's not gonna be under the 'Stax Ltd.' brand.

 

Stax products will only ever be made in Japan from components also made in Japan as I understand it. 

post #20628 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Stax products will only ever be made in Japan from components also made in Japan as I understand it. 

 

Some of the semiconductors are now from manufacturers not based in japan.

 

for example on the sr-002 portable amplifier, the jfet opamps are AD822A

and the pre-regulator is LTC3127.

post #20629 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post


It's a work in progress... Have finished to translate the 1hour or so of interview to english + the discussion during the tour. Am waiting for amos / scott to polish that up before I send it back to stax. Shouldn't be much longer...

 

Thx.  

post #20630 of 24765

OK, I'm getting really paranoid angry_face.gif about dust getting into the SR-007 / SR-009.  I live in the high desert which gets dusty.  In fact, I have to blow dust out my smoke detectors once or twice a year.  I read there is a dust cover in the 009s, I wonder if it will be sufficient?   Does anyone have experience with dust on the 007s / 009s ?

post #20631 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico613 View Post

OK, I'm getting really paranoid angry_face.gif about dust getting into the SR-007 / SR-009.  I live in the high desert which gets dusty.  In fact, I have to blow dust out my smoke detectors once or twice a year.  I read there is a dust cover in the 009s, I wonder if it will be sufficient?   Does anyone have experience with dust on the 007s / 009s ?

I am concerned about this as well. Does blowing gently into the side of the headphones (to get rid of dust) damage the drivers? I haven't even tried because scared =(.
post #20632 of 24765

I am interested in this as well. I live in South Sapin where it is also dusty.

 

Is it possible to blow dust off the drivers? Could dust get stuck to the film of the drivers? Or even worse inside onto the contacts?

 

For a storage / dust cover I tried a glass dome to fit over my headphone stand. It keeps them really clean BUT in Winter the leather cups get a thin layer of white mold growing on them, so not good either.

 

I might try and create some air gaps to the base of dome where it sits on the wood circular base. It is has some ambient air flow to reduce any condensation or damp build up, it should work?

 

BTW I hate the Stax plastic covers...

post #20633 of 24765

I just always keep my 007's in their flight case.  Bit annoying to put it back into the box and take it out every time but at least you're assured that it should be well protected...

post #20634 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

Is it possible to blow dust off the drivers? Could dust get stuck to the film of the drivers? Or even worse inside onto the contacts?


I think there would be a danger of blowing dust into the diaphragm.  Here is what STAX had to say about dust issues:

 

Quote:

 

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in STAX products.
 
STAX products are electrostatic and sensitive to dust. It is of sealed design but do not recommend use in a dusty environment. If cleaning and/or repairs become necessary, they will not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty and the sound elements are not a repairable part. Replacement sound elements take up over 80% of the cost of headphone and replacing them yearly or twice a year would not be economical.  We've had a handful of dust related service this year but most are 30-40 year old headphones.

 

I found this a little disconcerting  . . . but maybe being careful as K-19 suggests, it is not an issue . . . confused.gif  How long have you guys had your STAX in the dusty environments?


Edited by Rico613 - 1/13/13 at 10:26am
post #20635 of 24765

I'd get a Pelican case. Moisture free and air tight. I used my 009 box all the time when they weren't in use. 

post #20636 of 24765

i live in los angeles so it is pretty bad air quality here. is it safe to just hang my 009 on the headphone stand when it is unused? and what is the proper way to clean it?

post #20637 of 24765

I would think it would be as long as you use a protective plastic cover.

I also live in SoCal but rather keep my SR-009 in its case when not in use.

My Sigma/404 is always in a stand but covered; never had any trouble with it.

post #20638 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Stax products will only ever be made in Japan from components also made in Japan as I understand it. 

Yeah I know there was little sarcasm intended in my post. Aside from that the Jades were manu'd in the States right?

post #20639 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilency View Post

I would think it would be as long as you use a protective plastic cover.

I also live in SoCal but rather keep my SR-009 in its case when not in use.

My Sigma/404 is always in a stand but covered; never had any trouble with it.

 



thank you,

 

kind of counter-intuitive, is there any leather cup protection or something similar that look nicer than the plastic bag.

 

i just received the unit about a week ago, sound awesome, but when i turn my and the phone hit my headrest it make small pop sound, is that sound coming form air pushing the diaphragm, and it is normal right?

 

just want to make sure.. : )

 

thank you

post #20640 of 24765
That is contact inside the headphone from the air being compressed (from your head pressing the pad too quickly against the housing). This is something that should be avoided. Usually this does no damage, but it has the potential to ruin your day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)