Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax thread (New) - Page 1298  

post #19456 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post

@Chodi:

I have had a testsession on some Stax and Audeze gear last week at a Hifi Store in Germany.

I own the 303 classic headphones with the SRM-323II. I have had a few hours with the 507,

007 and 009. Here's what I think:

009: What can I say. I was disappointed with the sound signature. Extremely foreward and very agressive.

Perhaps good for Classical music. It has a fanstastic heavy and dry bass but the mids and highs were too

agressive for me. Especially with louder volumes and modern music (Hiphop, Electro, etc.). And I was missing the "magic".

007: More fascinating in my opinion. A bit rolled off in the highs it's more dark and veild but never disturbing in the highs and mids.

I will have to take a closer look at them and test them for a longer period.

 

All impressions of the headphones where made with the new SRM-323S (apart from my own set).

 

That's exactly the biggest reason you were hearing what you heard.  I very much dislike that amp and anyone saying it sounds like any other ToTL Stax amp hasn't heard them side by side.

post #19457 of 24765
Parts came today for the srm1/mk2 recap. Time to plan the strategy. Possibly work on it tomorrow. Very excited. Man, the new caps are tiny in comparison.
post #19458 of 24765

Thanks for welcoming me!

@chodi:

I didn't hear the 407. There were too much headphones to test in one day and I was about to hear the big models.

With your budget it sounds like you have to stick to the lambdas if you want to by new.

 

@Anaxilus:

Perhaps you are right with the amps, although I belive the biggest difference is between the headphones.

post #19459 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

Parts came today for the srm1/mk2 recap. Time to plan the strategy. Possibly work on it tomorrow. Very excited. Man, the new caps are tiny in comparison.

 

Tech sure has advanced in the last 30 years. 

post #19460 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
 1. a close up of the heatsinks.  can you tell if they have the unavailable parts? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey Spritzer, or anyone,

 

can you tell by this pic if I have those unattainable parts by the heatsinks?  I dont want to go poking around in there and screw them up accidentally.  I dont see anything out of the ordinary, but I also dont know what I'm looking for.

post #19461 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

 

Tech sure has advanced in the last 30 years. 

tasteful sarcasm noted. beerchug.gif

post #19462 of 24765

Grrr.  Tested all my caps today, and it looks like I got a bad one.  the 470uf 50v wont even give me a reading on the MM.  OL every time.  triple checked my settings.   all the other caps tested fine.  Diodes tested about 5V.  Was hoping to get this done today.  maybe I can start with what I've got tonight.

 

Question about the Diode installation.

 

I can match the -/+ with the diodes with the stripe on one end.  but which end is negative on these?  The RA-1 diodes?  the tapered, or square end?  If its on the board, I cant see it with the diodes in 

post #19463 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post

 

@Anaxilus:

Perhaps you are right with the amps, although I belive the biggest difference is between the headphones.

 

I agree, listening fatigue can make it very difficult to discern audible discrepancies. tongue.gif wink_face.gif  But seriously, there are all sorts of reasons people hear or don't hear things.  It's certainly not a one way street.

post #19464 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

Question about the Diode installation.

 

I can match the -/+ with the diodes with the stripe on one end.  but which end is negative on these?  The RA-1 diodes?  the tapered, or square end?  If its on the board, I cant see it with the diodes in 

 

 

Does your meter have a diode test function?

That will indicate the polarity of the part under test. Most also have an audible beep tone to verify polarity.

Recommend you google "testing diodes with multimeter".

 

Heck, a regular multimeter set on resistance (ohms symbol) will show conductance as a resistance, and blocked current flow as infinite resistance (OL).

When the diode is conducting, the black test probe is contacting the negative side (-) of the diode.

Disconnect one side of the diode before testing to ensure an accurate reading. (unsolder and lift one lead terminal off of the pcb)


Edited by livewire - 9/12/12 at 11:42pm
post #19465 of 24765

And this is where I have a problem that perhaps others have overcome.  So for my first post, why do Stax have dealers in Asia that stock the SR-009 but won't allow anyone to listen?  Does this happen elsewhere in the world?  5 grand is lot of money to drop on a pair of headphones under any circumstances, but to do it blind is plain silly.  There are 2 Stax dealers here in Taiwan and neither of them will open a SR-009 box, lest the product be impossible to sell as 'new'.  I wouldn't buy an expensive car without driving it, so why does Stax expect me purchase unheard?  I can understand the dealer's problem, caused by Stax not allowing even their official dealer a pair for demo.

 

I have discovered that my humble SR-202/SRM-252S Basic Stax that came bundled with my Smyth Realiser are better on some music than my HD-800's.  Thats not news to anyone on this thread but it makes me, with my 60 year old ears, wonder how much better the SR009 are with the right amp.  Bright isn't an issue for me but detail, dynamics, resolution, air, separation are.  I use cross-feed and Redline Monitor or the Realiser to image.  Because I run the Sanders 10c electrostatic speakers with his Magtec and DEQX (I had Quads for decades), electrostatics are natural for me.  I've contacted Justin about a BHSE but it's going to be an expensive paperweight with some headphones.  My local headphone shop (not a Stax dealer) advises not to buy Stax because no-one really knows how the Chinese deal is going to work out.  The dealer situation is similar in Hong Kong.

 

There are no headphones meets here as far as I can ascertain so, what do I do?  What have others done?  Fly to Tokyo? Any constructive advice is appreciated.

 

Thanks

post #19466 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post

And this is where I have a problem that perhaps others have overcome.  So for my first post, why do Stax have dealers in Asia that stock the SR-009 but won't allow anyone to listen?  Does this happen elsewhere in the world?  5 grand is lot of money to drop on a pair of headphones under any circumstances, but to do it blind is plain silly.  There are 2 Stax dealers here in Taiwan and neither of them will open a SR-009 box, lest the product be impossible to sell as 'new'.  I wouldn't buy an expensive car without driving it, so why does Stax expect me purchase unheard?  I can understand the dealer's problem, caused by Stax not allowing even their official dealer a pair for demo.

 

I have discovered that my humble SR-202/SRM-252S Basic Stax that came bundled with my Smyth Realiser are better on some music than my HD-800's.  Thats not news to anyone on this thread but it makes me, with my 60 year old ears, wonder how much better the SR009 are with the right amp.  Bright isn't an issue for me but detail, dynamics, resolution, air, separation are.  I use cross-feed and Redline Monitor or the Realiser to image.  Because I run the Sanders 10c electrostatic speakers with his Magtec and DEQX (I had Quads for decades), electrostatics are natural for me.  I've contacted Justin about a BHSE but it's going to be an expensive paperweight with some headphones.  My local headphone shop (not a Stax dealer) advises not to buy Stax because no-one really knows how the Chinese deal is going to work out.  The dealer situation is similar in Hong Kong.

 

There are no headphones meets here as far as I can ascertain so, what do I do?  What have others done?  Fly to Tokyo? Any constructive advice is appreciated.

 

Thanks

If you read my earlier posts you will see that I am dealing with much the same problem. We have one Stax dealer in Bangkok. I am a former customer for other gear so when I made an appointment to make the two hour drive to go there tomorrow, I insisted that they let me audition the headphones with my own music. They were horrified at the prospect that a customer actually wanted to hear something before buying. I specifically asked if they had all the models I wanted to hear (407,507,007). They assured me that they did but they were all boxed and I could not listen. I got to the owner of the shop and he finally agreed. The problem is they do not want to invest in demos that they would have to sell later used. They do have some demos but not everything I wanted to hear. Same problem with the Stax amps. They said they had one solid state and one tube amp for demo (neither are the tube amp that comes with the set). I am going there tomorrow and I will report back on my findings. I may buy a Stax system or I may get pissed off at them and not buy anything. Their attitude is that you should buy on reputation alone. I don't think I am being unreasonable to want to hear a system before I plunk down $3000 or more. We shall see tomorrow.

post #19467 of 24765

@Shep:

Here in Germany nobody would be that stupid. If you got no demophones and amps people buy their stuff at the next dealer with demo equipment.

It's just that easy here. There are enough dealers with Stax equipment around here, although our offical Staxdealer is beeing replaced soon and

has practically no headphones at the moment to deliver to hifidealers (no 009, 007, etc).

post #19468 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post

@Shep:

Here in Germany nobody would be that stupid. If you got no demophones and amps people buy their stuff at the next dealer with demo equipment.

It's just that easy here. There are enough dealers with Stax equipment around here, although our offical Staxdealer is beeing replaced soon and

has practically no headphones at the moment to deliver to hifidealers (no 009, 007, etc).

Alright, to be fair, the Stax dealer here does have some demos but not all demos of current stock. Bangkok is a city with a lot of very wealthy audiophiles who do buy products on spec. I am an American who has lived here for twenty years and it still takes some getting used to the local customs. The Stax dealer here has survived many years with the same method of doing business so he does not feel pressure to change. In this market there is only the one dealer no others and no gray market except what you can ship in by yourself (also without an audition). The lack of competition gives the Stax dealer a license to do whatever he wants.

post #19469 of 24765
Depending on the markup from the distributor and reseller, you might not even take too much of a hit by flying over and staying overnight in a cheap "salary man" hotel! In Tokyo, you can listen to the whole stax range pretty much anywhere, even the large general electric stores. If you come in Otcober, you could attend one of the biggest headphone audio events in the world (Fujiya Avic headphone festival) and get a taste of most headphone on the market!

I'd say, come over!
post #19470 of 24765
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

Depending on the markup from the distributor and reseller, you might not even take too much of a hit by flying over and staying overnight in a cheap "salary man" hotel! In Tokyo, you can listen to the whole stax range pretty much anywhere, even the large general electric stores. If you come in Otcober, you could attend one of the biggest headphone audio events in the world (Fujiya Avic headphone festival) and get a taste of most headphone on the market!
I'd say, come over!

I got a laugh out of your comments because it would cost me nearly the price of a Stax amp to make the trip to Tokyo from here. I have been there several times on business and that place is crazy expensive. I have an appointment at the Bangkok dealer tomorrow and we will see how that goes. I am intent on not buying anything unless it is clearly interesting enough to tear me away from my T1's. I am not into buying something that will sit in the closet. I am not trying to replace the T1's only get something that will share my head time and give me a welcome change of pace. I spend a lot of time with my music and it would be nice to have something equally as good as the T1's but different to share my time. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax thread (New)